I will cut my coat according to my cloth. {Edited by Forum team} 2019

Options

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hope it's a multi coloured dream coat, as I think you deserve it.
    Wishing you all the very best for the new year.
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Have subscribed - here's to a fab 2019!!!!
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I am just waiting for Ryanair to pay my expenses from the summer. The information says 10 working days. But I don't know how many of the last 12 days were classed as working days.! When I do get it, it will go towards the bills anyway.
    Funds are low because I have not been working and cannot pay myself at the moment. But at least DS paid me the money for the HagV yesterday.
    I must remember to record it on the spreadsheet when I get home tomorrow.
    I am glad we have finally come to the end of this holiday. I have seen more of the bedroom than I have of Portugal.
    I will have to remember that next year when we are planning Christmas!
    I think an apartment holiday where I can cook would be better for Mum, something with a sitting room and bedroom, and a balcony to get fresh air.
    Certainly no hills, or walking around! Maybe she will accept it if we bring her wheelchair out of storage! Because I think she needs it again.

I am definitely ready to go home now.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Good gracious! Biggest has also paid me £300 towards her debt. So that's gone straight off of the credit card.
    I might get the debts paid off in 12 months if she manages to pay the same each month going forward.
    Maybe things are looking up after all!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Might I suggest that rather than expressing surprise to the offspring that they have paid anything, you acknowledge that they have done what was agreed ...

By all means express surprise here - we're all surprised! - but make it an assumption to them that they'll pay their debts.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Might I suggest that rather than expressing surprise to the offspring that they have paid anything, you acknowledge that they have done what was agreed ...

By all means express surprise here - we're all surprised! - but make it an assumption to them that they'll pay their debts.

Good advice !:D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • pollyanna_26
    pollyanna_26 Posts: 4,839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your plan for the year ahead sounds good . I agree with Savvy Sue and would acknowledge the payments from Biggest and your son with the firm expectation that this is what they must do each month until their debt to you is cleared .

No mention of any future plans of yours to build up savings etc once your finances are on an even keel . Keep in mind you've had to cash in a pension pot to pay off part of their debts to you . If your son is receiving any form of means tested benefit he will be getting credits towards a basic pension . Biggest will get similar through work or her husbands work .

As long as they are aware the bank of mum is no more things should be less stressful . It was worth you having to get your point over that you can no longer bail anyone out financially .

You've actually said the things I was thinking about your mum . I had to accept when I was nearing 50 that due to the arthritis x2 and fibro a lot of the things I used to do had to be managed differently . My eldest dd has lived in various parts of the UK with her work . A number of times a year we would spend a week together either in the Scottish Highlands , Yorkshire etc depending on where she lived at the time .

We share a lot of interests have always been quite athletic and loved being outdoors . It began to dawn on me that whether it was the cobbled streets in York , the slopes in Edinburgh Zoo , walking through Bronte Country I was struggling to keep up and as my youngest daughters physical health worsened so was she .

A big part of the problem was the actual travel first to her home and then to different destinations . I ended up telling my dd I couldn't be up with the lark every morning as I used to, have a very early breakfast and be out and about all day . She did come to accept some compromise was needed and things became easier .

Your idea of an apartment next time is good with more flexibility . It's a shame you haven't been able to let your hair down a bit this time but if things go well paying down the debt you may be able to have a trip with dgd later in the year . You'll be able to swim with her and get out and about .

I'm another who thinks your mum doesn't need an outside cleaner . Being able to potter around keeps her feeling a degree of control over her life . I know it's necessary in some circumstances and there are good as well ad bad cleaners but privacy and a sense of coping are very important . It sounds as though your company on Wednesday matters to her and is part of her routine .
    pollyx
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,273 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the debts being repaid.
    Long may it continue :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Time for bed . We are all packed etc.
    I am going to be so glad to get home.
  • Tikitaki
    Options
    So glad found your New diary. Happy New Year lovely xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills