Company ceased trading..what should I do?

Hi there. I am just looking for some advice. In April I paid £1224.00(by BACCS) deposit to a plumbing and heating company to do some work on a house we own. This was a company that my husbands family had used for more than 50 years and indeed we had used them 5 or 6 times in the past few years. They were a small family company. On the day they were due to start work they phoned our tenants and said that due to family illness they would be starting a week later. The following week they also failed to show and were not answering their phones. A notice went on the door saying they had ceased trading and inquiries should be given to the accountants next door. We wrote to the accountants claiming our interest. We had an e-mail from them very shortly after saying that by the time the bank had been paid there would be nothing left for us but no actual figures.
I have checked constantly on the Government website and there is no sign saying they have gone into liquidation or been dissolved although there are also no signs of them continuing to trade. I know there is probably no chance of me getting my money back but at the same time if there is anything more I should do then I want to do it. The company was a limited company, if that helps with your answers. The only other thing is we live 200 miles away so popping in is not an option.
I don't really know enough about how insolvency or whatever works to know if I have done everything I should
Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I would presume the info you had from their accountants was probably accurate. If they're no longer trading then it's unlikely there are going to be sufficient assets to make a claim worthwhile pursuing.
  • Hi Davidmcn Thank you for your reply. I guessed that but what I wondered was, should we not get some kind of formal letter saying what had been left and where it went? The accountants were working for the company and their interests and not ours. Also why is there nothing showing on the companies register? Again I realise this may be normal and I just don't know enough about these things.
    Enough money to live on so retired early...planning to see where life takes me:D
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have checked constantly on the Government website and there is no sign saying they have gone into liquidation or been dissolved although there are also no signs of them continuing to trade.
    Does it say "in administration"?
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi Davidmcn Thank you for your reply. I guessed that but what I wondered was, should we not get some kind of formal letter saying what had been left and where it went? The accountants were working for the company and their interests and not ours. Also why is there nothing showing on the companies register? Again I realise this may be normal and I just don't know enough about these things.
    Someone has to actually instigate insolvency proceedings in order for any liquidation etc to happen. If that happens then yes the insolvency practitioner would then have to report the assets/debts etc to everyone who has made a claim. If nothing happens then eventually the company will probably be struck off the companies register due to not submitting accounts or annual returns.
  • Castle no it doesn't that's why I queried it
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Castle no it doesn't that's why I queried it
    Well I'm guessing; but once the bank was paid off there was no money/assets left to pay the administrator/receiver and eventually companies House will strike the company off as davidmcn has suggested above.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Was it a limited company or sole trader? Have you asked the accountant what capacity they are acting? As accountant or as administrators? If limited company, have you checked to see what assets the company has?

When did you pay them and when were they supposed to start work? Have you checked online to see if anyone else has posted anything?

Just wondering whether they've genuinely had an illness which has forced them to retire/stop working or whether they've been in financial difficulty for a while now and took your money knowing full well they were likely going to go under.

You should be offered a refund in either case, but if its a limited company then normally the debt would be limited to assets of that company - directors can only be held personally liable in limited circumstances.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Thank you unholyangel they were a limited company. I paid them in the April and they were due to start work 2 or 3 weeks later. I can't find anything else online and when we were down there last and met with some of my husbands relatives(all local people) none of them knew anything about it, even though some of them also used them. I don't know how to check their assets and I have not asked the accountants in what capacity they were acting.I do feel it probably was a genuine illness( probably of the father) but there are two sons working for them and several other employees. Which makes me feel they would have known they were in trouble when they took our money
  • wagtamm
    wagtamm Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 19 September 2019 at 8:59AM
    Hi there. I am just looking for some advice. In April I paid £1224.00(by BACCS) deposit to a plumbing and heating company to do some work on a house we own. This was a company that my husbands family had used for more than 50 years and indeed we had used them 5 or 6 times in the past few years. They were a small family company. On the day they were due to start work they phoned our tenants and said that due to family illness they would be starting a week later. The following week they also failed to show and were not answering their phones. A notice went on the door saying they had ceased trading and inquiries should be given to the accountants next door. We wrote to the accountants claiming our interest. We had an e-mail from them very shortly after saying that by the time the bank had been paid there would be nothing left for us but no actual figures.
    I have checked constantly on the Government website and there is no sign saying they have gone into liquidation or been dissolved although there are also no signs of them continuing to trade. I know there is probably no chance of me getting my money back but at the same time if there is anything more I should do then I want to do it. The company was a limited company, if that helps with your answers. The only other thing is we live 200 miles away so popping in is not an option.
    I don't really know enough about how insolvency or whatever works to know if I have done everything I should

Good eyesight, eh? :cool:
    Specsavers will be going bust next if everyone has as good an eyesight as that. ;)

Anyway, any company that enters administration, liquidation etc must register that with Companies House, and you say that has not occurred.
    Simply ceasing to trade does not need to be registered, but responsibilty remains with the directors to act responsibily i.e. pay their creditors as amounts fall due and be fully aware og the financial situation of the company at all times, in case it needs to enter insolvency with no income coming in if they are not trading.

e.g. the fact they have £1224 of your money being a deposit for work they agreed to do but allegedly no longer will fulfil.

However, you have both entered into a contract, a contract that should have been completed months ago.

Write to them, not their accountants, and demand that they now honour the work they contractuallly agreed to carry out for you, explaining that otherwise you will have to appoint another contractor and will be expecting the company to settle the new bill, less what is still owed on the contract by you.
    (ensure you get a competitive price etc, to avoid future possible challenge)

Then reclaim the money owed to you, by legal means if necessary.

If that then results in proof the company has deliberately disposed of assets to avoid paying creditors as amounts fall due, or favoured some creditors in favour of others in teh event the company is insolvent, although not formally entered into insolvency, then the directors would be guity of wrongful or indeed fraudulent trading.
    Contact Action Fraud if necessary with your evidence.
    Wrongful trading is a civil offence, but fraudulent trading is a criminal offence, neither of which the directors can defend themselves from by the barrier of limited liability. The maximum sentence following successful prosecution after trial for fraudulent trading is 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine.

I'm sure a company that has traded succesfully for the last 50 years will not allow any of this to develop.

What is the company registration number of company you refer to?
    You may live 200 miles away, but there will be people here I am sure who will live closer and may be able tell you what is the current situation.
  • hpuse
    hpuse Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Empathise with your situation.

I see you have paid by BACS, and as far as am aware - there is no protection by the bank, but I still think it is worth contacting the bank and informing about your situation.

In future, please remember to pay for transacations like these using a credit or debit card.

It is also worth checking (with the accountants) that if the company had professional indemnity insurance, if so - you could attempt to file a claim for unprofessional service received.

As a last step, I would advise you to go ahead and file a small claims

though the chances are less and you would have to pay a small fee to make this claim online.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure