MSE News: 'Just got my Amazon Prime £79 back': Find out if you can do the same

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 July 2019 at 2:37PM
    CJSimmo wrote: »
    I am interested in your story. I joined Prime UK back in 2009 and was never charged as I thought because of my early repose to the offer, I would be a lifetime member. Then when Amazon Premium (France) emailed to say they could not take the payment this month (purse stolen and cards cancelled) I then looked back into old bank statements to see UK had charging me in since 2014 ! Yes, I know, why did we not notice the debit then....
    Unfortunately I cannot prove my use of Prime for 10 years as the invoices on emails only show £0 for delivery, not specifically Prime.
    What happened to you ?

:rotfl:

Jesus,come on.
    You cannot prove something you have evidently used.
    As a Prime member your account would default to prime.

Prime has been a paid service from day 1.
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/04/28/technology/amazon-prime-timeline/index.html
  • I was paying but got 3 years back. Thanks everyone:):money::T
  • I just received a credit card statement with nothing much on it except for a charge of GBP7.99 for Amazon Prime. I then checked back and saw the same charge going back to April last year. I had no interest in joining Amazon Prime and as far as I know I had used no benefits of it ever.

I logged on to my Amazon account and after a bit of searching found a chat or call option. As I live in Greece I had no 'Call back' option so logged on to Chat. After a short while I was answered by a perfectly trained operator who immediately agreed to reverse all charges going back to April 2018.
    Thanks for the encouragement MSE!
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I got charged £79.99 even though I already have a Student Prime membership, pointed this out and as a gesture of goodwill they refunded the £79.99, even though it took a while for me to point out why should the Prime auto-renew if my Prime is still active?!
  • I have an "ordinary" account at Amazon.I ordered some items which were delivery free and spotted that they were to be delivered under Prime conditions. I immediately contacted them and over the phone they cancelled the Prime membership; goods delivered free but no membership charge. Excellent service though it would have been better had they offered the Prime membership with details - until this thread I couldn't even find out the cost..
  • buntymc
    buntymc Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 8 December 2019 at 7:00PM
    I've just discovered that I've been subscribed to Kindle Unlimited for the last three years. The drones at the Indian call centre insist that they can only refund one year -- even though I've never used the facility and don't believe I ever signed up for it.

Edit: In subsequent calls, I've managed to work my way up the command chain, but they still claim they're unable to refund, The manager that I eventually spoke to told me the only way I could get the money back would be to go to my bank and have them charge back the money. Anyone know if this is actually possible?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    buntymc wrote: »
    I've just discovered that I've been subscribed to Kindle Unlimited for the last three years. The drones at the Indian call centre insist that they can only refund one year -- even though I've never used the facility and don't believe I ever signed up for it.

Edit: In subsequent calls, I've managed to work my way up the command chain, but they still claim they're unable to refund, The manager that I eventually spoke to told me the only way I could get the money back would be to go to my bank and have them charge back the money. Anyone know if this is actually possible?

Three years?
    Don't you check your statements?
  • Clearly not often enough. If I had noticed one in the past, I'd have probably just assumed I'd bought a book on my Kindle. £7.99 is about what a book would cost.

But my bank have just started sending out quarterly statements so I noticed it was a recurring charge -- something I just wouldn't have ever noticed on a monthly statement.

I am lax about the whole statement checking thing though.
  • Followill_Girl
    Followill_Girl Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 December 2019 at 3:12PM
    Is this legal?! My card details are on my partners Amazon Prime account and because he had a large payment come out and didn't have enough cleared funds, they took the £7.99 from my bank account...

We are not married and don't live at the same address, yet they have taken money from an account that is not the name or address of the Amazon account holder?!

When my partner queried, they quoted terms and conditions, BUT I have not seen/signed those terms and conditions and it was my bank they withdrew from.

They have said they'll refund my account, but this just seems almost fraudulent, how can it be ok to do that?

Thank you
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Is this legal?! My card details are on my partners Amazon Prime account and because he had a large payment come out and didn't have enough cleared funds, they took the £7.99 from my bank account...

We are not married and don't live at the same address, yet they have taken money from an account that is not the name or address of the Amazon account holder?!

When my partner queried, they quoted terms and conditions, BUT I have not seen/signed those terms and conditions and it was my bank they withdrew from.

They have said they'll refund my account, but this just seems almost fraudulent, how can it be ok to do that?

Thank you

Your partner used your card on his account.
    By allowing its use you have agreed to those T&Cs by allowing him to use your card.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback