PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

adult son property dilemma

My son has split from his partner this time last year and he moved back home.
He joint owns the property they bought together and hes still paying half the mortgage and life and house/buildings insurance although not living there and shes at times over the 12 months took in a lodger to help with her end of the bills.
property cant be sold yet as too early into the initial house buy that they split up. so redemption fees and he doesnt have the money yet to pay them.

as his parent it grates me hugely that i feel hes being mugged off and been used just so she could acquire a bigger house (telling signs from history and friends info)

god forbid anything happen to him she will end up with a large house all paid for or a worry for me she doesnt pay and I as parent end up with half a house debt to inherit.

can this happen and what would need to be put in place to stop that happening in gthe mean time.

can he assign the life policy away from her?

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They are unmarried? How do they own the property?

If they are unmarried, own the property as tenants-in common, and your son died intestate, then if your son had no children, his interest in the property would pass to you/his other parent.

https://www.gov.uk/inherits-someone-dies-without-will

With regard to the insurance policy, does it pay the mortgagee the amount of any remaining mortgage in the event of the death of either of the parties?

If the property is owned as joint tenants, then if either party were to die then it would automatically fall into the sole ownership of the other party regardless of whether or not there was a will.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,075 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    They need to discuss this and come up with a plan.

I had this with my ex.

We agreed he would stay living there, and would "rent" the property at below market value. E.g market value £850. We agreed £700/month.

This was then deducted from the monthly mortgage payment of £1000, and the remaining £300 we paid half each.

He paid bills as he was living there.

He also took in a lodger to help with his share. I rented elsewhere.

If she refuses to cooperate, I suggest he moves back in.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    xylophone wrote: »
    If the property is owned as joint tenants, then if either party were to die then it would automatically fall into the sole ownership of the other party regardless of whether or not there was a will.

Also worth pointing out that if a property is owned as joint tenants, any interested party can change it to tenants-in-common without needing the other owners permission, and it's probably well worth your son doing this to protect his inheritance (assuming the peoperty actually has any equity in it and the ex isn't at deaths door )

https://www.gov.uk/joint-property-ownership/change-from-joint-tenants-to-tenants-in-common
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If he is still paying half the mortgage he should be getting the bulk of rent from lodger not his ex.
  • Then he can move back in.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Can he move back in?
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    While your concern for your son is understandable, OP, you need to come to terms with the fact that this is none of your direct business. Nobody involved has the slightest requirement to speak to you about it - and, in fact, they'd be breaking the law to do so.

All you can realistically do is give your son support from the sidelines. Point him to here to ask directly, rather than playing Chinese Whispers.
  • toffeeb65 wrote: »

as his parent it grates me hugely that i feel hes being mugged off and been used just so she could acquire a bigger house (telling signs from history and friends info)

This isn’t financial advice, but you really do need to let go of this. Your son was an adult and decided to buy a house with her. Women do not going around buying houses with partners then kicking them out for fun! They will both have wanted to live together and the relationship to work, but that doesn’t always pan out. It’s just one of those sad things in life and it sounds like your son is being mature about it so you should too!
  • not sure how to respond to the last 2 posts.

thought i was asking for advice on issues with inheriting his debt rather than emotional advice...which the latter i dont need. thank you very much though

will remember in future to leave a back story out
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    toffeeb65 wrote: »
    thought i was asking for advice on issues with inheriting his debt rather
    Debt can't be inherited. If his estate owes more money than is available the rest is written off.

You need to answer the question in post #2 - how is the property owned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure