PPI repayment taxable?

Options
I understood from various sources that any PPI award was not treated as taxable by HMRC.
I notified Tax credits of a repayment just to make sure, and am now in an unpleasant overpayment spat with them. Clarification anyone? Please.

Comments

• Rainbowgirl84
    Options
    Lorriex wrote: »
    I understood from various sources that any PPI award was not treated as taxable by HMRC.
    I notified Tax credits of a repayment just to make sure, and am now in an unpleasant overpayment spat with them. Clarification anyone? Please.

Only the interest is taxable.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lorriex wrote: »

The capital part of the redress is not taxed (the refund element). However, the interest is.
  • Lorriex
    Options
    Thank you Rainbowgirl and SonOf for your replies. The problem is that HMRC are saying that PPI repayment is 'income' which affects Tax credit award.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Dazed_and_confused Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    edited 18 September 2019 at 9:45PM
    Options
    I notified Tax credits of a repayment just to make sure, and am now in an unpleasant overpayment spat with them

That may have been your undoing. If you have included it on your renewal HMRC will presumably consider it to be taxable income.

It might be worthwhile posting on the Benefits & Tax Credits board, specifically about what you can do if you have declared income in error on your tax credits renewal?
  • Lorriex
    Options
    Thank you, will look into that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills