PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Anything wrong with that house?

Comments

• zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Most people I know in London are seriously wondering how their kids will ever afford to stay there and ever buy, not just the kind of home that people in the rest of the UK might reasonably aspire to, but any kind of home at all.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Fed
    Fed Posts: 106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Perhaps the OP likes living in the vicinity of London and what it has to offer?

Otherwise they could sell up and live somewhere in Asia, the deposit would go a lot further than anywhere in the UK
  • Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them. I don't like London, it's just that the IT sector I work in is virtually centred in the city.

I used to live in Tamworth, Staffordshire, which I remember as kind of posh and now when I compare the lower prices there to this area my heart cries. I also lived in Slough before which looked chav-ish at least the same if not more and the prices have gone there up too.

Ealing, even though I like the area to the north of Ealing Broadway, prices there are not in my range for now so I need to find something further away with still a good distance to a tube station. The thing is I want a private garden, a parking space and no neighbours around/above as I'm fed up of years of renting other's places where I can hear a neighbour above doing some jogging exercises or living in a 11 person smelly house with nobody giving a single monkey about some basic level of care. I have missed a loved home.

I went there today and I must say the owners took off everything they could before the works, I couldn't spot a single thing inside not renovated. No cracks inside but everything was repainted so hard to tell.

No smell of damp anywhere at all, no mould, it's clean and dry below a sink and around the window frames; windows and doors look not worn and good.

Owners are no smokers and have replaced all:
    - heaters are new, together with a new boiler that replaced an old, loud one located on the top floor,
    - classy sinks, taps, a bath,
    - nicely adapted loft even with a carpet laid out,
    - new kitchen furniture,
    - in the loft I saw grey-ish external bricks around all three walls and although the owner lady didn't know its age it hasn't looked old; insulation was there and the tiles looked good,
    - the garden looks like it does as they didn't get enough of time to take care of it, fair enough.

In overall, they had put a lot of work there by themselves within less than two years of living there and now they're thinking about a bigger place for them, especially the male owner. She is less inclined to leave, I feel. That means they might be quite emotionally attached to it and it will be hard to have the price reduced. Definitely I like it was put lots of love into it though.

I asked the agent directly later about other people looking at the property and she mentioned another person being interested. I actually told her very lousily I might offer the price 20k lower when she told me she could check with her manager if a similar offer wasn't already rejected before.

@getmore4less, not sure what about those coniferous trees? I actually like the idea of having some of them behind a shelter and they don't make such a mess like poplar ones for example.

I asked a neighbour walking with a dog if he liked that place and if he would buy a house there, he said he had lived there for 30 years, he described the area as nice, quiet. That was also my impression when observing people when wandering and driving around, I saw everybody, white natives, Asians, Eastern Europeans... they all were calm and OK. Cars around pretty decent.

Ok, I have realised I'm now writing all that stuff probably more for myself than actually asking for anything more but hopefully it's not a pain to read it ;)

I wouldn't mind having that house but we will see how it goes from here, I don't also need it and I don't want to overpay it.
    Debtslayer wrote: »
    Seems really overpriced compared to what's under offer / sold.
    I know it's been made over but one within half a mile of this one is under offer and was on at 300k. Improvements won't be worth the extra 50k price tag

Thanks for checking, I can see some nice two bedroom maisonettes for much cheaper, it makes the price more questionable.
    The premium on London property is much higher than the premium on wages.
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    A lot of people aren't intelligent enough to realise that although a job in London pays more than it does in other parts of the country the pay doesn't mean that it makes it affordable for them to live in London.

I can't disagree with you guys, London itself, an hour long commuting, dusty and hot Central Line - you can take it all and I won't miss it :rotfl:
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have they taken a wall out between the kitchen and the living area? Is this what is causing the cracking?
  • I doubt it is the case, they took that arc like entrance out but I can see the same cracks on the neighbour's side too:
    - photos.app.goo.gl/vgJHcwzWFTTQKd073

and that's on my side:
    - photos.app.goo.gl/LURhY9v5hAjPHB0n2

I have checked on the loft and the bricks look pretty decent (0:17):
    - photos.app.goo.gl/QumAIBsI5Ck0ZNHq1

Here is a full album shared, if anybody was interested you are welcome to check:
    photos.app.goo.gl/MFECheZWbV5tUBuo2
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I tried to look at your photo's and my browser told me:

"This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to https://www.photos.app.goo.gl, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
    What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue."
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've seen a few developments of cluster houses like that in London. They have advantages over flats in that you've no upstairs neighbours. There's no chance of a freehold owner building a new flat above you (mentioned on another thread).

You might get a garden/courtyard/patio. I can only imagine the only reason there aren't more of them is that there's not much new land for building on in London.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Indeed. A family member of mine was offered a substantial pay rise to relocate to London (nearly double), but when they started looking for somewhere to live they realised that it still wasn't going to be enough to give them the same quality of life they already had where they were, nevermind any better!

Well it needs to be more, then. I know that in my sector plenty of people on about 60K in London apply to us thinking they can get 40K, and they are nowhere near close to being worth that, in this area. I know I could easily get double my current salary in London but I still wouldn't want to.
  • ProDave wrote: »
    I tried to look at your photo's and my browser told me:
    "This Connection is Untrusted

Ouch, shame I can't post links yet. Probably your browser added www automatically because I've just checked on mine and it parsed it as https://[noparse]photos.app.goo.gl[/noparse], without www. Thanks for checking, by the way.

Let me try if I can post the links like that for now:

cracks on the neighbour's side:
    https://[noparse]photos.app.goo.gl/vgJHcwzWFTTQKd073[/noparse]

cracks on my side:
    https://[noparse]photos.app.goo.gl/LURhY9v5hAjPHB0n2[/noparse]

the bricks as visible from the loft (0:17):
    https://[noparse]photos.app.goo.gl/QumAIBsI5Ck0ZNHq1[/noparse]

full album shared, you are welcome to check:
    https://[noparse]photos.app.goo.gl/MFECheZWbV5tUBuo2[/noparse]

• jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post