Chip and signature card refused by retailer

Comments

• nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd shop elsewhere instead, after all if they don't want your payment..
  • Paul_Metcalfe
    Paul_Metcalfe Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 February 2017 at 1:58PM
    Sorry to re-open but two years later and people are still meeting companies that should know better and newer ones that ignore and having found this page covers exactly the same things....
    Unfortunatley even if there are agencies that are tasked with maintaining equality or reducing discrimination they do not care.
    Retailers found so far that openly / knowingly discriminate over chip and signature include Asda (fuel stations revamped to remove ability to use,) Post Office, Richer Sounds and an increasing number of smaller outlets that use the new cheap pin machines that do not print or have any ability to sign.
    Maybes we should just compile an open list ....

I suppose I had better add that it is not wanting 'better' or 'special' treatment but equal to which the right to is already in place.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Email the company CEOs.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    WillPS wrote: »
    Email the company CEOs.

Not sure if that will achieve anything.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sorry to re-open but two years later and people are still meeting companies that should know better and newer ones that ignore and having found this page covers exactly the same things....
    Unfortunatley even if there are agencies that are tasked with maintaining equality or reducing discrimination they do not care.
    Retailers found so far that openly / knowingly discriminate over chip and signature include Asda (fuel stations revamped to remove ability to use,) Post Office, Richer Sounds and an increasing number of smaller outlets that use the new cheap pin machines that do not print or have any ability to sign.

I suppose I had better add that it is not wanting 'better' or 'special' treatment but equal to which the right to is already in place.

There is no right to use chip and signature cards.

Reasonable adjustments must be made for disabled people but this could include things such as an online or telephone order.

If the business is too small or adjustments wouldn't be practical (e.g. unattended pay at pump) then none need to be done.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary

There is no "right" to use a specific payment method and C&S is far from exclusively used by those with disabilities.
  • Sorry to re-open but two years later and people are still meeting companies that should know better and newer ones that ignore and having found this page covers exactly the same things....

Hi there,

I saw your comments on this thread and wanted to take the opportunity to reply.

We definitely do accept chip and signature cards in all our 52 nationwide branches and would certainly never discriminate against any of our valued customers.

On certain occasions we reserve the right to complete extra security checks where applicable but this is merely to protect both ourselves and the cardholder from any risk of fraudulent transaction.

I hope this clarifies our position, should any other forum user have further questions feel free to contact me via my direct e-mail address which is..

John.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Many Thanks

John Clayton
    Operations Director
    Richer Sounds
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Richer Sounds. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Not sure if that will achieve anything.
    I beg to differ. As evidenced by the post before mine, this is a misunderstanding at store level rather than a company policy. What's needed is a bit of corrective action at the top level.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    WillPS wrote: »
    I beg to differ. As evidenced by the post before mine, this is a misunderstanding at store level rather than a company policy. What's needed is a bit of corrective action at the top level.

Will it help the tinfoil hat brigade though?
  • rtho782
    rtho782 Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I want to pay for my fuel in cash and the unmanned pumps won't let me as they only take card.

Is that discrimination?

I want to pay by card at the market because I have anxiety about carrying cash but the stall holders won't let me.

Is that discrimination?

Stop whining. Nobody has to take your chip and signature card because you "have anxiety" about the security of pins (which are more secure than a random scribble).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure