PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A Simpler Life 2018

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    ani*fan wrote: »
    I'm simplifying my time. I now work 4 days per week, and I arrange one thing only for the weekend. I have more time to relax, be creative, read and daydream.

It feels very strange after a lifetime of being busy.

Oh, that sounds blissful :)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents.
    This is my problem too, except it's more like 80 boxes in 3 different places in the house (2 bedrooms and garage)

The problem is that I know that in order to sort everything I need to empty each box and will end up with more boxes and stuff everywhere until I'm finished :(

I'm putting off starting either of the bedrooms until after my daughter's wedding in April because I know I haven't got time to get finished before that if I start it now. (At least while everything is still boxed up I can shuffle the boxes around and clear a room for my daughter and her chief bridesmaid to stay the night before.)

So I plan to start in the garage during February half term, however this depends upon my ex-husband removing the rest of his stuff first. I have said that I need it gone by the end of January (which will be 3 years since he left) but I'm not holding my breath :(

Part of simplifying my life includes sorting out and/or removing everything belonging to or caused by other people that holds up, hinders or blocks things that I want to do!
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    Save_Dosh wrote: »
    I was exactly the same. It's taken me a long time to get rid of things, they were all hidden in boxes under the stairs and in cupboards, but I'm finally at the end of this journey and I'm now very minimal, it really is freeing to BE minimal, rather than just looking it. I still have 21 pairs of shoes, trainers, sandals, boots, flip flops (which I want to cut to 10) it used to be nearer 100. I think the way I did it was in sweeps. I got rid of what I could over time, then after a while, I did another swoop and found I could let go of more. I've got to a stage where I really don't want stuff. I honestly will have gotten rid of nearly 70% of my stuff when I've finished, hopefully this weekend. Check out Marie Kondo's method - it really kickstarted me letting go in an organized way. Good luck.

Same here :) I called it 'skimming'! The first passes primarily took out the junk and rubbish which were lost in the piles. since then, a lot of time has been spent walking things around the house to collect like with like.

I found it too easy to put a few paper clips away in one draw. In another room I found a few paperclips and put them away in another draw... etc. etc. etc. Once I started to collect everything together I realised I had more than enough paperclips to supply an office :rotfl:

Finding a place or room for everything was important too. I also changed my thoughts about being efficient; I would always put things to one side so that each trip would be worthwhile and of course nothing got done and I would end up going through the same things again and again.

Now I deal with things one at a time and either collate them together in a box of like items or if I have designated a place for it, I put it there.

I've frightened myself with how much duplication I have :eek:

I've also finally realised that my 3 children have grown up and left and aren't coming back for their stationery sets etc from school days (and that I already have a couple of sets myself), so I can send them on to a charity shop :rotfl:

It's been a slow process, a year plus so far, but I am finally able to see spots of work surface and have spaces in cupboards :T
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • ani*fan wrote: »
    I'm simplifying my time. I now work 4 days per week, and I arrange one thing only for the weekend. I have more time to relax, be creative, read and daydream.

It feels very strange after a lifetime of being busy.

How did you manage this? Sounds like my dream?

This thread is great it is really getting me to think about what is important.

I currently work full time with 3 hour commute each day. I need to be able to free up time and lower my outgoing so I can work fewer hours.

Although I try be organised it is sometimes difficult because of lack of free time. I try to plan on my commute!

Have already picked up some great tips on here but grateful for more. Anyone in similar situation? I have also recently moved so DH and I also renovating house.

I am going to start by making sure I get rid off all clutter, starting with kitchen. I will get rid of all unnecessary gadgets!

Have a great Sunday all. I love this thread.:)
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi diet demon

I know it was ani*fan you were asking, but I thought I'd throw in my tuppence-worth. I have quit my job and am going to travel for a bit. When a return I have a paid job two days a week which will cover all bills and a small amount of spends. In the remaining time I plan to work for myself. How it's done? For me anyway it was paying off the mortgage in about half the original time, buying what I needed for the best price, not wasting ( much!) money, putting pay rises into savings/mortgage OPs. I think I am lucky that I enjoy mainly simple pleasures and have enjoyed learning to do all sorts of things like cooking, sewing, up cycling furniture etc. I'm just starting a blog actually about what I've done and how - and the next chapter.

Three hour commute sounds hellish. My best advice to start with is to sit down with your OH and decide what you actually both want.

I wish you luck, this thread and the forum overall, will be a great source of support and knowledge.

Bexster :)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks again Save Dosh. My problem is that I have lots (probably 30 or so) of boxes & I do not know the contents. At the moment my DH & I can move around all the rooms except one so cannot envisage emptying all the boxes.

Help!?!

MrsSD:doh:
    This is my problem too, except it's more like 80 boxes in 3 different places in the house (2 bedrooms and garage)

The problem is that I know that in order to sort everything I need to empty each box and will end up with more boxes and stuff everywhere until I'm finished :(

I know and understand the accepted wisdom of Kondoing, but many of us on the KonMari thread have found that we have needed to adapt to suit our own circumstances. Lack of decent spells of time, or in my case ill health and fatigue mean that it is not practical to gather all categories together from various locations and just blitz through them, but little and often will work too, particularly if you have to take things to the CS by bus or on foot. Yes it will take longer, but you will get there in the end, don't be discouraged:D:D

If you haven't already come along and join us the 2 threads complement each other well.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Katieowl
    Katieowl Posts: 185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    DD lent me that Kondo woman's book I hated it! I have lots of 'stuff' but I loves most of it I am not a minimalist and seeing my house without the knicknacks and books would make me very anxious indeed. I know she says you can keep what you love, but some of us, share our houses with the tools of our trade, and OTHER people and the tools of THEIR trades too, so we just attempt to keep it in order!

As it stands at the moment, most of the time if I see something I like, these days I am able to say yeah that's cute, but I don't need it and I have no where to put it.....if I got rid of all my stuffs I'd be saying ooooh that's cute, I have JUST the spot for that!!! Self awareness is a wonderful thing LOL
  • I think I said on here about the YouTube woman I was watching More Melody. She was saying to put items that you use close together, like with like. I was thinking it was very obvious advice, but looking around my house I realised I hadn't been doing that for everything!:o:D

I now have my essential oils in a box right next to the oil diffuser with my last scented candle.

I put all my tea together with the pot on a shelf. I put all the spare bottles of vitamins in a box and all the medicines/medications in a box on another shelf. It's made it much easier.

I didn't have to get any new storage boxes as I just used what I had already.

I really like the way we rearranged the living room yesterday. I thought I would have to buy a new TV unit, but now I don't think we will need to.

It's great when your house feels refreshed and more comfortable, but you haven't needed to buy anything new!:)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Katieowl wrote: »
    DD lent me that Kondo woman's book I hated it! I have lots of 'stuff' but I loves most of it I am not a minimalist and seeing my house without the knicknacks and books would make me very anxious indeed. I know she says you can keep what you love, but some of us, share our houses with the tools of our trade, and OTHER people and the tools of THEIR trades too, so we just attempt to keep it in order!

As it stands at the moment, most of the time if I see something I like, these days I am able to say yeah that's cute, but I don't need it and I have no where to put it.....if I got rid of all my stuffs I'd be saying ooooh that's cute, I have JUST the spot for that!!! Self awareness is a wonderful thing LOL

Katie - I am as far removed from a minimalist as you can get, but I now have too much stuff that I no longer need or want and I am sure that I benefit from it's removal, and like you I don't need to bring much into the house, I look, appreciate and walk away, it is a good feeling.

I also have at the front of my mind, having spent 6 months with OH, his DB and SIL, travelling 150 miles to clear late in-laws properties, yes it really did take that long and was not pleasant, I do not want my step children to have to wade through loads of what they would consider tat when OH and I pop off - we are no longer spring chickens:rotfl:

Enjoy what pleases you and continue to be grateful for your tools of the trade and as time passes let things go if they are no longer necessary to your life.:D MC, like a lot of things in life, is not for everyone.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    I do warn against getting rid of stuff too enthusiastically! Of course, if you hate it or it's really no use, or you have no room, by all means.
    But some household things: try putting them in a box tucked away (if you have room) and see if at any point during, say, a year, you think 'I'll go and get the potato masher'.
    Clothes: unless they are horrible, then put away. When I retired I had several 'smart' T shirts and shirts. I simply folded the ones I wouldn't use into a box with lavender for moth repellant. Slowly they came out as other clothes got used up. The smart trousers hang in the wardrobe for odd occasions - maybe 2-3 times a year, but saves me worrying about what to wear.
    One of my friends gave away all of her smart work clothes, then found herself scouring charity shops for replacements when she accepted a senior committee post with a national charity (lucky she was a standard size!)
    I however, have bought very little, other than fabric for making clothes for 8 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure