£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• TOPM - I too get my daily fix from your diary posts. You are always so positive and upbeat. I think I secretly love your diary because it seems very 'real'. Whilst there are a lot of people doing the hardcore debt slaying, you have chosen a path of moderation which is totally fine because it's your life and you have made that choice.

Please keep posting. I am cheering you on.
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £2,420 / £2,420 - 100% :T
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I think there are so many people who think that there way is the only way. Well we are all here for the same reason with the odd exception we are all / have been in debt . I for one could do better , but refuse to live a very frugal lifestyle because I know I couldn't sustain it. I am fortunate that although I don't earn mega bucks like some people I do what I can. The last thing we want to happen to TOPM is to give up (not that I think she would ).
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Absolutely agree that it's your diary and your life, but speaking as someone who's been regularly active on here for a heck of a lot of years, and has seen a LOT of posters arrive and leave again for all sorts of reasons, I find it very difficult to read a diary like this sometimes. In some ways I think it's a lot easier to try to be constructive and helpful where someone HAS truly had their LBM and is desperate to get out of debt - oddly those people are usually also those with a far more modest income or even in some cases almost no income at all. that very knowledge though - or how tenuous their grip on their finances is - may be a factor in this, the need for security and knowing that your money is your own is all the more important, the less of it you have. there are a lot of people here speaking frompositions of a LOT of combined experience - and one thing I will say is that there is a decent chance that some of them might be wrong in what they;re saying - but ALL of them? Hmmm....doubtful. Since clearing my own debt I've kept posting on here in part because it helps keep me on the straight and narrow financially, and in part because I appreciate massively the help and support I got whilst clearing a loan, getting out of the habit of monthly overdraft use, and subsequent destruction of the mortgage - I give up my time to post here because I genuinely hope that my own experiences mean I have something to offer in return - to pay back my "MSE Gratitude debt" if you like.

I'll bid you farewell and unsubscribe at this stage. I've no wish for constructive comments to be a reason for someone to want to leave MSE - and I assure you that anything I've posted here really was intended to be constructive, not some form of "on-screen battering" as you put it. I'm honestly sorry that it was seen that way. I wish you luck with your journey going forwards.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Mudbath
    Mudbath Posts: 5,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've been reading your diary over the last few weeks (it's quite long!!!) and it's like i'm reading about the last 10 years of my life. We've got there though it's taken longer than maybe it could have.

I know there's no right or wrong way but we put family life just above paying every penny towards our debts. We've got there. Lots of good memories and a few sleepless nights but...we are there.

DD is at university and we're managing to help her as much as we can. DS is in 6th form and hopes to go to university so we're budgeting for that now. Both had jobs from 15 to pay for extras for themselves.

We didn't let them have everything but we've had a lot of fun along the way and, like you, I wouldn't have it any other way.

It's all possible and with your enthusiasm you'll get there.
  • Week 35: Day 2

Morning everyone! Thank you to every single person who commented last night, whether in full support or more moderate positivity. I feel like I've said what I wanted to say and I'm not going to dwell on it for now. One of the really interesting things I noted was that some posters actually take tips from me :eek: :D . This made me think I should post/link more of the budget recipes etc that I use, and also celebrate the MS stuff that I do actually do, rather than just focus on the difficult things.

Meeting a client/friend for coffee today, but I think she's viewing me as a sales prospect (she sells one of those multi-level marketing products), so I'm bracing myself for resisting the sales onslaught - I once bought a candle or a hand cream or something in an effort to be supportive, which was clearly a mistake. I should have said no to coffee really, as I know full well I'm not going to buy anything, and it's possibly just a waste of her time and mine, but said yes in a moment of weakness. Send me strength to say no to the sales pitch!

Also going to have a quick charity shop trawl for (a) hyacinth bowls and (b) stocking fillers/advent calendar gifts. In other festive news, DH has announced he'd like a knitted hat for Christmas, which is fairly manageable for me. Must finish the project I'm working on first so I don't end up with half knitted stuff everywhere.

Need to do some cooking today - not entirely sure what I'm going to put in the DCs packed lunches today, after all my packed lunch related smugness! I have one pizza whirl left in the freezer for one of them, the other might have to have <shudder> a cheese sandwich :eek: ;) . Veggie quiche is definitely the favourite lunchbox filler of the moment, going to try to make some similar options with plenty of veg in, since both packed-lunch-taking DCs quite often leave their veg sticks (unless it's red pepper).

DH has advance made quinoa burgers for dinner tonight, which saves me a job. We make these quite often (not usually with all the trimmings, although I am intending to for tonight), they are mega yum. I replace the chipotle with smoked paprika.

OMG I actually finished all the ironing yesterday, so it isn't on my list today for the first time in about a week. Somebody remind me to actually do it as I do the laundry loads to prevent the ironing mountain situation again.

Really hope I get some work bookings in soon. Still quite dry on that front. Trying to reconnect with some older clients via my newsletter (which I have been terrible about sending out this year, but have just restarted) so hopefully that will remind some people that I exist.

To do today
    1. start sourdough (to bake tomorrow morning).
    2. make courgette cake.
    3. make packed lunch stuff to freeze.
    4. continue to plan stockings.
    5. charity shop trawl.
    6. keep the work time focused.
    7. spend some time knitting this evening (such luxury!) instead of working - I have stopped working Monday and Tuesday evenings, as it was getting ridiculously nonstop, and my work was less efficient as I wasn't ever taking a break.

To do this week
    1. Continue to plan Christmas gifts.
    2. Plan hyacinth bulbs.
    3. Charity shop trawl for stocking fillers and hyacinth planters.
    4. Library ebooks

To do this month
    1. keep the total spend for the month below £3,500. Currently budgeted at £3,349.
    2. work a sensible number of hours, even if it means slower progress on the work and debt front. September was rubbish. This is going well so far.
    3. make any homemade Christmas gifts.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning TOPM. I for one love your diary and have taken many great ideas and inspiration from it!!!

Have a lovely day x
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Glad to see you posted this morning., I have used your recipes , the flapjack one . Please share any of your budget ones. Enjoy your charity shop search.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Week 35: Day 2

Morning everyone! Thank you to every single person who commented last night, whether in full support or more moderate positivity. I feel like I've said what I wanted to say and I'm not going to dwell on it for now. One of the really interesting things I noted was that some posters actually take tips from me :eek: :D . This made me think I should post/link more of the budget recipes etc that I use, and also celebrate the MS stuff that I do actually do, rather than just focus on the difficult things.

You shouldn't be surprised that people take tips from your posts :) You have an interesting life and angle on things, and you write well. I am sure lots of people would like recipes etc :) Do you have a blog?
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Stay strong on resisting buying from your coffee buddy. I have started resisting invites from someone I know sells hideously overpriced cosmetics as I know I am going to get a sales pitch. I also once bought hand cream once which was supposed to be cheap but in fact cost me around £40 :eek:
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 October 2017 at 8:47AM
    I am looking forward to seeing what mortgage rate your broker can get for you. What rate are you on at the moment? You thought is was 3.14 a few pages back but weren't sure.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback