Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shamilt1
    • By shamilt1 9th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 16Thanks
    shamilt1
    Can I remortgage my house to buy a workshop?
    • 9th Nov 18, 7:45 AM
    Can I remortgage my house to buy a workshop? 9th Nov 18 at 7:45 AM
    Hi all. Iím happy to say that at the grand old age of 49, Iíve finally managed to pay my mortgage off...yey! Anyhow Iíve seen a nice little workshop near me that Iíd like to buy....I must be missing having a mortgage! Itís selling for about a third of what my house is worth so I was thinking of remortgaging my home to buy this property. Can this be done and is this the best way? I contacted two lenders, Coventry B.S and Hanley as they had the mortgage products I wanted to go for but they both said they wouldnít lend on my home to buy a commercial property. So now Iím confused...
Page 1
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 9th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 3,022 Posts
    • 1,696 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 8:54 AM
    Sounds like you need a commercial mortgage, speak to a broker.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 61,016 Posts
    • 54,214 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:52 AM
    Lenders may well restrictions on the purpose of an equity release. Building societies are there to provide mortgages for the purpose of buying residential property. Commercial lending isn't their market.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • butterflybook
    • By butterflybook 9th Nov 18, 11:23 AM
    • 113 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    butterflybook
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:23 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 11:23 AM
    You could use the help of a broker as lenders can restrict lending depending on the reason you are raising monies - Most do not like raising money for business purposes for example
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • shamilt1
    • By shamilt1 9th Nov 18, 12:01 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    shamilt1
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:01 PM
    • 9th Nov 18, 12:01 PM
    Just been into HBSC and talked to their mortgage guy. No problem releasing equity from my house to buy this property apparently and has agreed it in principle. Off in to do the full application next week. Happy days!
    Last edited by shamilt1; 09-11-2018 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Bad spelling!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,581Posts Today

7,711Users online

Martin's Twitter