Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chrisv
    • By Chrisv 29th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    • 4,506Posts
    • 79,088Thanks
    Chrisv
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World support thread 2018
    • 29th Oct 18, 9:20 AM
    Slimming for Santa - Slimming World support thread 2018 29th Oct 18 at 9:20 AM
    Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you, go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list; so that's pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra choice and one Healthy Extra choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=66049704&postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables
    Not wanting something is as good as possessing it Ė Donald Horban
Page 15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Nov 18, 7:39 PM
    • 58,078 Posts
    • 239,192 Thanks
    beanielou
    1/2 on for me this week.

Not a lover of the cauliflower rice either.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • LMCD
    • By LMCD 8th Nov 18, 7:49 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    LMCD
    [QUOTE=joedenise;75023806]LCMD - SW say you should have between 5 and 15 syns a day but try to aim for 10 a day.

Have you had plenty of Speed and Protein foods as these are the most important elements of the plan, rather than just Free foods.

We could help you more if you posted what you'd actually eaten.

Thank you kindly, promise I will learn quick lol
    b 50g bran flakes skimmed milk, effervescent
    l pasta with pesto and few fried veg in fry light (pesto counted towards syns)
    fruit for snack.
    d was cous cous with chicken stock, goats cheese stir fry veg and turkey with cheating garlic hence the syn in that.. done in fry light.

thanks
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 8th Nov 18, 8:00 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    I find the cauli rice really bland. Only had it a couple of times. Have tried just microwaving it and also roasting it but still found it bland. I would have thought that adding the broccoli would have given it a bit more flavour.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    I dry fry it with garlic and only use fresh, wasnt nice with broc
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :- 5 st 2 1/2 lb
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 8th Nov 18, 9:26 PM
    • 5,605 Posts
    • 41,475 Thanks
    joedenise
    [QUOTE=LMCD;75024151]
    LCMD - SW say you should have between 5 and 15 syns a day but try to aim for 10 a day.

Have you had plenty of Speed and Protein foods as these are the most important elements of the plan, rather than just Free foods.

We could help you more if you posted what you'd actually eaten.

Thank you kindly, promise I will learn quick lol
    b 50g bran flakes skimmed milk, effervescent
    l pasta with pesto and few fried veg in fry light (pesto counted towards syns)
    fruit for snack.
    d was cous cous with chicken stock, goats cheese stir fry veg and turkey with cheating garlic hence the syn in that.. done in fry light.

thanks
    Was goat's cheese your HEA? Not sure what you mean by cheating garlic? Most garlic purees in a tube are oil free and Free foods. You certainly don't seem to have had a lot to eat; and eating less doesn't mean a good weight loss.

Denise
    • LMCD
    • By LMCD 8th Nov 18, 9:50 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    LMCD
    [QUOTE=joedenise;75024611]

Was goat's cheese your HEA? Not sure what you mean by cheating garlic? Most garlic purees in a tube are oil free and Free foods. You certainly don't seem to have had a lot to eat; and eating less doesn't mean a good weight loss.

Denise
    Originally posted by LMCD
    yeah goats cheese was HEA, cheating garlic in the squeezy one says .5 for the aldi ones on their app.

I didn't eat much in past unless it was junk in between meals sometimes. So now its only meals and water and fruit if peckish. I might try acquire a weekly meal plan to get me into the swing of it.

Thanks for your reply

being new to this , and as much i like to cook, I know I am needing a food education which I aim to pick up as I go along.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 8th Nov 18, 10:01 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    [QUOTE=LMCD;75024727]

yeah goats cheese was HEA, cheating garlic in the squeezy one says .5 for the aldi ones on their app.

I didn't eat much in past unless it was junk in between meals sometimes. So now its only meals and water and fruit if peckish. I might try acquire a weekly meal plan to get me into the swing of it.

Thanks for your reply

being new to this , and as much i like to cook, I know I am needing a food education which I aim to pick up as I go along.
    I have started posting my food again as i used to all the time, but i have just moved home and got sorted so there are a few new people so i will post every day apart from Sat tea as thats my syns for the week, known on here as picky tea so hope it gives you some ideas
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500 £770 for 2018
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 8th Nov 18, 10:03 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    Oh and i eat ALOT
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Nov 18, 10:06 PM
    • 58,078 Posts
    • 239,192 Thanks
    beanielou
    Not as much as me bubbs
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 8th Nov 18, 10:12 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    Not as much as me bubbs
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I dunno never seen your meals
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • Sunshinemummy
    • By Sunshinemummy 8th Nov 18, 10:20 PM
    • 16,436 Posts
    • 196,297 Thanks
    Sunshinemummy
    I have a trapped nerve. I went into a meeting with a double strength coffee, and then when we had a break I took some strong pain killers and had another double strength coffee. OMG i had to hold on to the side of my chair whilst the effects worked their way through my system....I could not see at one point......as I was chairing the meeting god knows where the discussion went and what we spoke about.... maybe purple unicorns........ I have decided I am going to buy chocolates for the minute taker and hunt her out tomorrow in an attempt to get any reference to purple unicorns removed.

• Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 9th Nov 18, 8:31 AM
    • 3,811 Posts
    • 16,835 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Another STS for me. Happy enough as I right royally screwed up earlier in the week, inadvertently I hasten to add, so was on catch up and am also taking cough medicine to shift a cough, if I don't take it, I will have the cough for months, so lesser of the evils.
    A smile costs little but creates much
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Nov 18, 9:19 AM
    • 5,605 Posts
    • 41,475 Thanks
    joedenise
    SSM hope the back clears up soon.

GTQ Well done on the STS considering your screw up earlier in the week. Hope the cough clears up soon.

Today's plan:

B - scrambled egg & spinach on toast (HEB)
    L - jacket potato; beans; salad
    D - fish pie, peas, green veg - 4 syns for the cheese sauce (depends how much I need to use but think it's 8 tsps for the whole thing)

HEA - milk as usual
    HEB - bread
    Syns - Bisto cheese sauce granules 4

Denise
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Nov 18, 11:26 AM
    • 18,735 Posts
    • 111,896 Thanks
    maman
    I'm going for an alcohol free Friday again. Sorry but I feel the need to announce it early and publicly to give me accountability.

That way I have plenty of syns to last me through the week and no worries that I could go over with some extra milk or other easily hidden syns.

I've yet to do my meal plan and shopping list and I really don't have enough Speed in to give us many choices for dinner. I'll report back when it's done and I've been shopping.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Nov 18, 3:23 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    SSM, hope you soon feel better xx
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Nov 18, 3:37 PM
    • 5,605 Posts
    • 41,475 Thanks
    joedenise
    Think it's going to be another alcohol free Friday for me too! Went way over on syns last night - even though I was drinking shorts!

Denise
    • Bozwood
    • By Bozwood 9th Nov 18, 4:28 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    Bozwood
    Hi well I have had fruit for breakfast. A thin for lunch with cheese and onions and a pear and I am having Chinese for tea which I am waiting for. I have saved up my syns for it and will enjoy every bit
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Nov 18, 5:14 PM
    • 18,735 Posts
    • 111,896 Thanks
    maman
    Hi well I have had fruit for breakfast. A thin for lunch with cheese and onions and a pear and I am having Chinese for tea which I am waiting for. I have saved up my syns for it and will enjoy every bit
    Originally posted by Bozwood

I'm assuming a take away Chinese so depending what you choose then it could be high syn. It's perfectly possible to save syns for a big, blow out meal every week and still lose. Bubbs has always done it with her picky tea on Saturdays. It doesn't mean you have to have small meals the rest of the week though, just on plan low syn/syn free meals.

It's not easy having an AF Friday denise but I have to make the effort while I can. I'm trying hard to take advantage of a bit of a lull in eating out. Be strong!!

I've done my meal plan and shop. I went to Lidl today (as I had a voucher to use) but I've decided I much prefer Aldi for most things. I know I'm lucky to have the choice of all supermarkets close by.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, 2 fried eggs, half HEB, baked beans, HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with cottage cheese, beetroot, pickled cabbage, cornichons
    D: savoury mince, new potatoes, carrots, cabbage, kale
    Syns: None!
    • TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 9th Nov 18, 7:20 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 15,591 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Food for today
    Brekkie
    Overnight oats
    1/2 melon

Lunch
    3 boiled eggs
    1/2 melon, this was a eat while driving

Tea

Chicken and mushroom curry with cauli and broc rice, i will stick to cauli rice in future its nicer
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Bubbs, your curry always looks so good just like a takeaway one. How do you make it please? Iím drooling here
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Nov 18, 7:27 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs

Fake KFC for tea
    Todays food
    brekkie
    overnight oats, 2 boiled eggs

Lunch
    fajita chicken pieces i cooked last night, 1/2 melon
    tea
    As above
    Later chopped fruit and ice cream
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Nov 18, 7:30 PM
    • 53,272 Posts
    • 631,070 Thanks
    bubbs
    Bubbs, your curry always looks so good just like a takeaway one. How do you make it please? Iím drooling here
    Originally posted by TakeItEazy
    Its SW chip shop curry sauce, i just dry fry onions and chicken with garlic, add the sauce and simmer then add mushrooms about 10 mins before the end hth
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,017Posts Today

8,594Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm often asked "if students don't repay who does". Yet its not quite as simple as that, if you're interested its? https://t.co/38g9dOPNgo

• RT @franbishop_: @MartinSLewis I wish you had been about more when I was making the decision to go. I dropped out 2 years down the line. Co?

• No I'm pushing for a realistic understand of the practical cost of going to university. In order to stop our you? https://t.co/wfsogbcJ11

• Follow Martin