Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 8th Nov 18, 4:35 PM
    • 409Posts
    • 455Thanks
    dbrookf
    Suitable bird box location?
    • 8th Nov 18, 4:35 PM
    Suitable bird box location? 8th Nov 18 at 4:35 PM
    Ive never put one before and would appreciate your advice as to whether you think this is suitable or not? ie On one of the branches of this cherry tree?

Page 1
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 8th Nov 18, 5:36 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:36 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 5:36 PM
    I think you’re supposed to put them well away from feeders because they don’t like to nest in places with a lot of bird traffic. The RSPB site is a good place to look. I think they’ve got a page on box positioning.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 8th Nov 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,140 Posts
    • 951 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:31 PM
    • 8th Nov 18, 9:31 PM
    I’d put it near the top of the wooden fence post between the two bushes behind the tree, pruning the bushes back, so the box is just visible. The tree looks a bit too visible and cat accessible.
    • dbrookf
    • By dbrookf 9th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    dbrookf
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:03 AM
    Id put it near the top of the wooden fence post between the two bushes behind the tree, pruning the bushes back, so the box is just visible. The tree looks a bit too visible and cat accessible.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Would that be high enough though?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Nov 18, 9:08 AM
    • 26,637 Posts
    • 96,029 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:08 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:08 AM
    No one supplied a compass with this?

Cats are only one problem. Frying chicks on a hot afternoon isn't recommended either.

No one can answer on the evidence here. The OP would be better reading-up on the subject, which is easy enough, then making a decision based on what they know, rather than what random strangers helpfully suggest.
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 9th Nov 18, 9:43 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:43 AM
    • 9th Nov 18, 9:43 AM
    Here are two good sites:

https://www.bto.org/about-birds/nnbw/putting-up-a-nest-box

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/advice/how-you-can-help-birds/nestboxes/nestboxes-for-small-birds/making-and-placing-a-bird-box

After much thought I decided against putting a box up in my small garden. I've three very busy feeders that also attract cats and larger birds who would enjoy the taste of babies.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 11th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    • 8,404 Posts
    • 29,530 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 11th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    • 11th Nov 18, 5:28 PM
    Wherever you DO decide to place it, Don,t position it facing into the midday sun as the baby birds will cook to death in hot weather. Preferably position is where it doesn,t stand out. I.e.partly covered by stems or leaves so that the birds will feel protected from other preying birds like magpies. They will feel safer tucked away out of sight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

469Posts Today

4,223Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin