Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    tiaunf
    Is this a scam? Laureate Online Education & University of Liverpool MSc programmes
    • 12th Jul 12, 4:49 PM
    Is this a scam? Laureate Online Education & University of Liverpool MSc programmes 12th Jul 12 at 4:49 PM
    Hi there,

I've enrolled in one of their MSc programmes, but I have concerns and I am worried if this might turn out to be a scam!?

Most of the so called "faculty" staff I have deal with seem sales and definitely not based in the UK! None of the issues raised are being resolved or looked at, but in the same time they are being pushy and auto-enrolled me in further module, without asking for my consent and I have expressed no intention of enrolling in these etc.

I guess I am looking for views on their legitimacy or past experiences...

Thanks

George
Page 4
    • _shel
    • By _shel 26th Dec 16, 5:18 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 2,805 Thanks
    _shel
    If you're expecting credibility and support from the University of Liverpool, then it's a scam.

If you want a piece of paper and access to a large repository of Academic Research, then it's worth it.

Caution to Canadians: The University of Liverpool cares nothing about you or your course load. To make their lives easier they classify all online students as being part-time. This means that the CRA will not let you claim the Tuition Tax Credit.

If I could do it again - I most definitely would not!
    Originally posted by Darren Gudmundson

In the U.K. Online students are always classed as part time, nothing to do with the UOL. It's the same if you study with open university or any other university.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 26th Dec 16, 12:02 PM
    • 12,511 Posts
    • 8,552 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    I worked for UoL online / KIT / Laureate.

It is a scam. Sorry ... That's the truth.

SNIP

The honest truth is that almost all distance studies programmes are garbage ... no matter what the sale person tells you there is no substitute for in-class face-to-face learning. No online forum is remotely comparable. All these courses do (if you are lucky) is qualify that you have read and can quote from a textbook, not that you have understood it. UoL barely even does that.
    Originally posted by lehonestanswer
    I have to disagree: the courses offered by the Open University are, on the whole, outstandingly good. What I do not understand is why people who want/need to study online go to questionable outfits such as Laureate when the genuine article is available from the OU.
    • silviaxi
    • By silviaxi 1st May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    silviaxi
    Did you get your diploma
    Hi,

I just read your review about the UOL and I'm agree and started my studies and I'm really pleased with the content and online resources to answer the threades but I want to know if someone got finally the diploma because all the reviews are from people which their studies are ongoing bot no one finalized it.

I want to know if I am on time to get back and cancel everything.
    Regards
    • gobberchef
    • By gobberchef 23rd Jul 17, 10:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gobberchef
    Most definitely a scam
    I have spent three years on an MSc course at the University of Liverpool and I can suggest one to enrol in a physical university rather than these diploma mills. I had doubts about this course and I soldiered on. Big mistake and a waste of my life.

My reasons are many:
    1. They do not offer the same advanced courses as the actual university
    2. You are not taught by the same lecturers at the university
    3. The lecturers have dubious qualifications
    4. You are taught with outdated an outdated curriculum
    5. If you run into any problems, the university will take forever to hear your case citing that the board is yet to sit down to assess your situation.
    6. They are very expensive and you might as well spend that money going to the actual university.
    7. With the UK leaving the EU, the degrees are no longer worth as much as one obtained from an EU country as you will have to go through credential assessments to work with those qualifications in Europe's mainland.
    8. You do not feel you have gained any skills.

I could go on. Advice: Steer clear!
    • gobberchef
    • By gobberchef 23rd Jul 17, 10:55 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gobberchef
    Please read my post
    Hi there

I want to save you from much pain. If you have only just started this course, I suggest you stop'. It is a diploma mill. Please read my earlier post.
    • perkele
    • By perkele 7th Nov 18, 2:42 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    perkele
    I registered just to answer this thread.

First of all, please let me make several statements which are crucial before discussing it at all:

1) At postgraduate degrees, you do not have teachers.
    2) The people who are your "instructors" during UoL online course aren't lecturers. They are instructors, simple as that. They merely check your submissions and sometimes foster discussion at the forum. They do not teach, they do not lecture. That's why I do not see any problem with them being not directly from Mersey banks.
    3) Online education is not about attending classes via Skype and such. It is about instructor- and curriculum-lead self-education and getting a paper from an institution with a big name that all you did yourself qualifies as a Master or whatever you're up to.
    4) Most unhappy people at the forum have attended a couple of weeks of the first module before jumping off. Well, there's a reason why the first module is 12 weeks long and not 8, like other modules. The first few weeks are merely a super-cushioned boot camp so that you get an idea what is it all about. You don't even get proper grades there. It starts to get real with the further modules.
    5) The whole course isn't Laureate curriculum sold via UoL web facilities. It is quite the opposite. Truth to be said, the weekly Key Concept Overviews are made by Laureate, but they make up a tiny percentage of your overall readings. And I agree, their quality is inconsistent.
    6) You get the diploma from UoL, not Laureate. That's the most important part, by far.

Now, it is all about the choice. There are other online courses which are just as good if not better, the prices are comparable, although UoL is certainly not the cheapest of them all. By the way, I have attended two different online universities (UoL including) and, in my opinion, UoL is allright in comparison.

There are problems, of course. Some instructors are uninterested at best. Some have very interesting grading policies. But most are outstanding scientists, with genuine interest and profound knowledge in the field. Also, It can be troublesome to file complaints against UoL, but it is not impossible either. They are usually attentive when they know how to help immediately and try to burrow their heads when they don't. That's, well, is a common human thing, I think but clearly, an area to improve.

Finally, all the UoL online courses (except the first, probably) are grave serious and quite hard to accomplish. There are many people who drop out. It requires time. You cannot pass just by watching videos, writing some garbage as your KCE and respond a couple of lines at the forum. Grading is quite rigorous. You'll get C if you make it up to requirements and it is hard to get A, you need to put up some serious effort to do that. Ultimately, the whole course makes you a better human being, because you learn to write, read and think critically on a whole new level, plus, you do indeed become an expert in your field. If you learn, of course.

Calling it a diploma mill is an overstatement if not an insult. It's just an online degree with its pros and cons and you do not get it just by attending. You need to learn by yourself, no one will push in the back like it was in the school.

Oh, nearly forgot to add that UoL is breaking up with Laureate. It will be just UoL from now.
    • perkele
    • By perkele 9th Nov 18, 8:46 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    perkele
    1. They do not offer the same advanced courses as the actual university
    4. You are taught with outdated an outdated curriculum
    Originally posted by gobberchef
    These two statements are curious, could you please elaborate? Not trying to oppose them, but it looks like a reference to a knowledge unavailable to a mere mortal, would be interesting to know the details.

The university explicitly mentions somewhere on their pages that the curriculum is the same for on-campus and online students. Therefore, if 1. is true, they are lying and it's serious.
    Regarding the 2., how do you determine that the curriculum is outdated?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

320Posts Today

3,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Today's twitter poll: The 585 page draft agreement of the withdrawal of the UK from the EU has been published. A? https://t.co/8YLkPyzqYM

• Follow Martin