Has anyone actually saved money after installing a smart meter?

Comments

• frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Hi,
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Or answer the question asked tather than thing boring usual vomit.

It could help you indentify when you are using more than you should as you will be able to look at nice graphs or when you used things if you opt for HH logging. That's could, but you obviously might be 100% efficient and have nothing to cut.

And yes t he planet will be betetr off by saving expence for the supplier needing to check it is still working and advancing less, though they will still want a visual check now and then.

Next person please regurgitate to vomit.

could you please edit your post and make it understandable

I was referring to the meter, not the monitor gadget.
  • paul_h
    paul_h Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It's not rocket science. If you want to reduce consumption, you have to turn stuff off.

I would have said reduce your bills, but in reality you will probably only stop it going up as fast.
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The idea is that you get your IHD and then you realise how much electric that 10 year old oversized freezer that you never defrost is costing, so you buy a newer more efficient one and look after it.
    There's a catch 22.
    Those people who own freezers like that will never bother with the IHD, whilst those who have already bought the more efficient model can't save anymore.
    The consumer moneysaving side of Smart meters is a complete waste of time.

What about a smart grid? In theory this might save some money by reducing peak usage. Even that is debatable. My objection is more social. Single people like myself would be able to save money but families would lose money. We should be supporting families not making them pay more. For me it is that simple.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    My smart meter IHD saves me money as my wife can tell when the tumble dryer is finished, it is in the garage, so can go and take the clothes out and switch it off because if she doesn't it starts up again to stop the clothes getting creased or something.

Same with the electric kettle, red light goes off run to kitchen to make coffee so no need to put it on again to reboil water.

I can tell my greenhouse heater has switched itself on so know to run out to greenhouse to shut the door.

Various ways it saves me money.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
  • Your smart meter could save you money. If you don't already have a good idea of how much electricity each of your appliances and gadgets uses the energy monitor thingy (most energy companies refer to them as In Home Displays) that comes with the smart meter can tell you in real time. Switch something on and just read off the display how many watts it is using. The one I've got reads down to single watts.

You can then work out how much electricity leaving things on standby and not switching off lightbulbs uses. Or other less obvious things you might not have thought much about like how much more electricity it takes to watch a film on your TV compared to your laptop. Or running a hotter wash cycle on your washing machine. Whether you then decide if the savings are worth it for the planet and your pocket is up to you.
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 25 April 2018 at 6:14PM
    Although smart meters cannot save you money, the little gadget (which many people seem to throw into a drawer) can make you more aware of your usage. But it can also depend on which IHD you have.

When I was with OVO, I did not like theirs and took very little notice of it. However, when I got another SM installed with Scotiish Power, their IHD rocks and is so user friendly. It is since this installation, that I knocked my monthly has usage down by 40 kWh.

Gas, however, I do not care. If I feel cold, on goes the heating.
  • newbie1980
    newbie1980 Posts: 2,016 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    everytime we save energy they just put prices up

the smart meters are also only there so the companies can get rid of 75% of the meter readers

also when installing the meters the fitters are only give a small amount of time to fit them so wiggle the mains cables to get them ou and back in again but never check that they have not come loose in the consumer unit

many fires have been caused because of this
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Are you with SSE ?

its likely to cost you more if anything
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    r2015 wrote: »
    My smart meter IHD saves me money as my wife can tell when the tumble dryer is finished, it is in the garage, so can go and take the clothes out and switch it off because if she doesn't it starts up again to stop the clothes getting creased or something.

Same with the electric kettle, red light goes off run to kitchen to make coffee so no need to put it on again to reboil water.

I can tell my greenhouse heater has switched itself on so know to run out to greenhouse to shut the door.

Various ways it saves me money.

They may or may not save you money but as a side benefit they appear to keep you fit :)
  • savemoney
    savemoney Posts: 18,127 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Nothing smart about a so called smart meter same as smart tv's over used word implying something is smart when its anything but
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure