Bankrupt 7 years ago, creditor called today

Hi all,

I went bankrupt back in July 2011 and a Vodafone account I had was included on it (I’m sure it was anyway!!).

Today I had a call from a company called NCL Resolve saying that they had an account passed to them for the money I owed to Vodafone.

I informed them I was declared bankrupt, and they were able to check and confirmed it, and they said they would send the account back explaining I was made bankrupt.

What I want to know is can they chase me for this? And if I didn’t include it on my bankruptcy would they be entitled to the money back?

I told them not to update the address to my current address, which they’ve said they won’t, but I’m worried I’m going to chased for this now.
There’s nothing on my credit file for this anymore, I just want to know what they’re legally entitled to do about this old debt.

Many thanks,
Richard.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 29 April 2018 at 3:32PM
    Hi Rich

Legally they cant do a thing.

When you go bankrupt, its not like in a DRO or IVA for example, where you have to list your debts in order for them to be included.

In bankruptcy, all your debt are included (with some certain exceptions) so they cannot chase you for this debt.

Accounts involved in an insolvency do get sold on sometimes, but you have nothing to worry about here as your bankruptcy will of covered this debt, and creditors have no remedy against Bankruptcy.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • brclub
    brclub Posts: 145 Forumite
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi Rich

Legally they cant do a thing.

When you go bankrupt, its not like in a DRO or IVA for example, where you have to list your debts in order for them to be included.

In bankruptcy, all your debt are included (with some certain exceptions) so they cannot chase you for this debt.

Accounts involved in an insolvency do get sold on sometimes, but you have nothing to worry about here as your bankruptcy will of covered this debt.

Thanks so much for your quick response, you’ve put my mind at rest.

I thought this was the case but for my own peace of mind I just wanted to get it confirmed.

I can’t believe they’re still chasing after so long, it was only about £90 at the time if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks again,
    Richard.
  • O2 chased me via debt collectors, and the bill got sold on several times, in the end the penny dropped.

the HMRC CCJ for £10K hung round like a bad smell but after going through the CC and HMRC it got wiped
    Now we all know how it felt to play in the band on the Titanic...
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    If you want to respond, 1st post in this thread may help

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768717
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Vodafone
    Vodafone Posts: 4,297 Organisation Representative
    Hi Richard,

I appreciate the concerns you've raised following the recent contact made with you by the debt collection agency.

If you'd like me to make sure that this matter has been resolved, please email me via the form here.

To access the form you'll need to enter the code WRT135.

As well as stating your query in the question box, please also quote "MSE Forum".

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post it on here and I'll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Vodafone Social Media
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Vodafone. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure