Deceased Spouse PPI Claim

Hi I'm new to this Forum.
I'm trying to claim PPI on a Joint Mortgage I had with my husband who died in 1999. Can I still make a claim and if so, what will I need to proceed with the claim as my husband is dead ?
Thanks in advance for any help/advice. :)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,316 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Can I still make a claim

The vast majority of PPI does not cover death. So, its unlikely that death is a claimable event. Life assurance is what pays out on death. Did you have that? If you didnt claim on the life assurance and had it, then you should do so now.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you mean complaint about being miss-sold, you can do if you have the right to deal with his estate (e.g. as executor of the will). If you were there during the sale of the cover then you can just respond as normal, if you were not, you must stick to factual reasons, you cannot make claims about what was said during the sale.

You also need to establish when and how the policy was sold, if it was through a broker and taken out long before 1999 then it would be pre-regulation and could be rejected without access to the FOS, if it was sold by a bank or building society staff member, you can complain
  • I'm new to this forum as well. My husband and I took out a loan in 1990, and he died in 2004 when we lived abroad, but have very little idea how to fill in the forms I've received from the bank, and he had no will.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    It's better to start your own thread, in any event it's going to be difficult for anyone to help you without you telling us what you are trying to achieve in contacting the bank (assuming you did contact them) and what the forms are in relation to. Who acted as executor/administrator for your late husbands estate?
  • We were both present when we applied for the mortgage and I clearly remember the person doing the mortgage saying if we didn't take out the Mortgage Protection Policy, we wouldn't get the mortgage. I think that's what the policy was called.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mamaswoop wrote: »
    We were both present when we applied for the mortgage and I clearly remember the person doing the mortgage saying if we didn't take out the Mortgage Protection Policy, we wouldn't get the mortgage. I think that's what the policy was called.

You can still complain but obviously you can't prove that was said so don't expect to win on that basis. If you bought through a broker though they can insist you take out cover like this in return for free advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure