Nationwide - only consider last 12 months

I started the process of trying to reclaim charges from a Nationwide overdraft from several years ago (2010-2012) claiming hardship. They have responded saying they are only required to review the last 12 months of charges. Is this correct?

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,809 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    civil12345 wrote: »
    I started the process of trying to reclaim charges from a Nationwide overdraft from several years ago (2010-2012) claiming hardship. They have responded saying they are only required to review the last 12 months of charges. Is this correct?

Yes, the banks won the court case in 2009 which put paid to complaints about historical account charges, they only have to look at current financial hardship that you are in.

They do not have to refund any charges by the way, they can simply freeze future charges, reduce interest and so on. If you are not in financial hardship currently you are unlikely to get more than a goodwill gesture
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I started the process of trying to reclaim charges from a Nationwide overdraft from several years ago (2010-2012) claiming hardship.

If you have read up on this subject, you will know that since 2009, the reclaiming of bank charges died except for those in current financial hardship.

Even in hardship costs, refunds are not the only option open to them and any refund is a goodwill gesture. Typically 3-12 months is the typical.
    They have responded saying they are only required to review the last 12 months of charges. Is this correct?

No. it is not correct. They are not required to refund a penny and could come up with help in other areas. If they refund any, it is their choice and there is no defined level. So, this would be an internal rule they have rather than a regulatory rule.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure