Letter from debt collection agency!

Hi

Wondering what advice you could give me-

I received a letter from a debt collection agency that state that I owe British Gas £2500 for a period ending Jan 2010.

The address they say this relates to is one I lived in, but for a limited period in 2005.

British gas say they cant seem to find me on their stem with the address that matches.

The debt collection letters are very short, dont give many details and state that they will take futher action if after 10 days I havent responded.

Could the tennents that were after me in this property have used my name?

What do I do??

Comments

• Hi

Wondering what advice you could give me-

I received a letter from a debt collection agency that state that I owe British Gas £2500 for a period ending Jan 2010.

The address they say this relates to is one I lived in, but for a limited period in 2005.

British gas say they cant seem to find me on their stem with the address that matches.

The debt collection letters are very short, dont give many details and state that they will take futher action if after 10 days I havent responded.

Could the tennents that were after me in this property have used my name?

What do I do??

I would suggest you enquire, without prejudice, as to what the alleged debt refers to exactly.

It could be as a result of a million and one possibilities, but if you ask, you will have more detail.

If, having better understood the basis of the claim, you still require help, please feel free to post again for further help & advice.
  • Ignore until the DCA come back with more info and in the mean time - send them the "Prove It" letter.

No DCa will ever go near a Court room. Their letters are just full of empty threats and use the words "might" "may" "could" "consider"
  • CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative
    CAB_Swansea_Bay_representative Posts: 287 Organisation Representative
    Hi debt-chaser, thank you for your query regarding letter from debt collector
    If you were supplied by British Gas do you know if you or your letting agent if you had one contacted them to inform them you were moving and give a final meter reading? If you did not there may be an amount owing from the final bill but unless you did not pay for a long while before you moved out then it is unlikely to be this high and you can dispute the amount of the bill and British Gas should be able to average your usage when you were living there and if you can show proof of when you left the property (this could be a final council tax bill, a bank statement with a change of address or new tenancy agreement).
    If you were never supplied by British Gas and you think someone fraudulently used your name for the supply after you moved out you need to contact the police and get an incident number and write to the debt collector and British Gas disputing the debt on the grounds of fraud and if they continue to harass you for payment you could make a complaint to the Ombudsman.
    I would also suggest you check your credit reference as British Gas do use credit reference agencies for recording defaults on your utility accounts.
    You can find out more about disputing debts and making complaints to ombudsman at https://www.adviceguide.org.uk
    Hope this is of assistance.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure