question about claiming back unfair bank charges..

im just wondering....

can you claim back unfair bank charges even if the account are now closed?

Comments

• YES, you can. Go to consumeractiongroup.co.uk and read the FAQ then read them again lol They have all the letters etc and everyone is as helpful as they are here!

Good luck
    Help me to help you :santa2:
  • Yep. I have had success with Capital One and GE Capital or Money or whatever they are calling themselves this month.

:heartpuls CG :heartpuls
    Ever wonder about those people who spend £2 apiece on those little bottles of Evian water? Try spelling Evian backward.
  • Hi
    Can I claim bank charges, account fee fixed charges, over draft fee, other unexplained charges for bank account that is now closed? Does not explain what other charges are for!
    Also got a Ppi refund but bank have taken tax at 20 percent. How do I know if it's not admin charges!
    Do I declare this refund and tax deducted on my tax return I complete this year ? Although the refund is for a loan that was taken in year 2000 and closed in year 2003. But received the refund in 2018.
    Would be grateful for your advice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    No. You would need to currently incurring the charges and in current financial hardship.

You can reclaim the tax on the PPI interest if you are under the threshold.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi
    Can I claim bank charges, account fee fixed charges, over draft fee, other unexplained charges for bank account that is now closed? Does not explain what other charges are for!
    Also got a Ppi refund but bank have taken tax at 20 percent. How do I know if it's not admin charges!
    Do I declare this refund and tax deducted on my tax return I complete this year ? Although the refund is for a loan that was taken in year 2000 and closed in year 2003. But received the refund in 2018.
    Would be grateful for your advice.

As ZX81's reply above but remember its only the interest element of your refund that's potentially taxable - don't include the returned premium element of the refund in the figures you give HMRC. Its the date you receive the refund that counts for tax purposes.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Wow, a 2006 thread revival. And its not mostly on topic either. ;)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thank you all for clarifying this matter.
  • Thank you all for clarifying this matter.
    Thank you too, for your contribution to the forum.
  • Can I claim back interest charges on an Access credit card which I paid off in full during the mid 90’s.
    Would / should I get a PPI company to help me.
    I must have paid £ 000’s in charges over time, probably 20 years.
    Card payments were paid by direct debit through Midland Bank.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,040
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Can I claim back interest charges on an Access credit card which I paid off in full during the mid 90’s.

no.
    Would / should I get a PPI company to help me.
    Interest is interest. It isnt PPI.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure