Looking for a good Fitness Tracker

Hi

I'm going back to the gym soon and am looking for a good fitness tracker. It needs to have heart monitoring (preferably built in and not with a chest strap). Also needs to have an accurate step counter/sleep monitor.

The classes I will be doing is body pump (weights), body combat (martial arts), spin (cycling) and various other classes such as Pilates.

Can anyone anyone recommend a good reasonable priced one or even a more expensive one as I'd like to keep costs low as I'm low income and want to monitor my fitness classes to improve my overall fitness and lose weight.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's lots of choice and lots of price points. Entry level heart rate equipped trackers can be had for £50-£120. Mid range trackers with more features including smart watch features go up to about £350. Top of the range trackers can go up to about £500.

What do you consider reasonably priced?
  • ok, as this is money saving expert I am going to make the counter point.

You dont need a fitness tracker, unless perhaps you have blood pressure issues and need to keep your bpm within a tight range.

Having a fitness tracker isnt going to get you fitter, or even give you any useful information that cant be obtained for free (ie a stop watch and fingers on a pulse). And dont get me started on counting steps or "monitoring sleep", utter fads.
  • Xiaomi Mi Band 2 IP67 Smart Wristband with Heart Rate Sensor

I purchased this one, good reviews and similar to a Fit Bit without the price tag.
  • Xiaomi Mi Band 2 IP67 Smart Wristband with Heart Rate Sensor

I purchased this one, good reviews and similar to a Fit Bit without the price tag.

That's the kind if thing I'm looking for.

I don't have a lot of money coming in, so looking for a good cheapish watch
  • I have a Garmin vivosmart HR. It was about £75 from Amazon. Not the latest gadget, but it's great for me. The Garmin connect app is also linked to the MyFinessPal app I use to monitor what I eat & using the two together has meant I've finally found a way to lose some weight!
    & I quite like the heart rate & sleep monitoring bits.
  • ok, as this is money saving expert I am going to make the counter point.

You dont need a fitness tracker, unless perhaps you have blood pressure issues and need to keep your bpm within a tight range.

Having a fitness tracker isnt going to get you fitter, or even give you any useful information that cant be obtained for free (ie a stop watch and fingers on a pulse). And dont get me started on counting steps or "monitoring sleep", utter fads.

It will help with motivation though and that can be priceless
    June 2016 - Pair of Brooks Glycerin 14's
    July 2016 - Annual family pass to English Heritage
    August 2016 - overnight spa break with dinner and breakfast for two
    September - BBQ toolbox
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    I've been looking for a fitness tracker as well. Has to be able to cope with swimming and has to be discreet so I'll actually wear it so not an uncomfortable watch style thing. looking to spend up to £50.
    any ideas?
  • ozaz
    ozaz Posts: 315 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    halogen wrote: »
    I've been looking for a fitness tracker as well. Has to be able to cope with swimming and has to be discreet so I'll actually wear it so not an uncomfortable watch style thing. looking to spend up to £50.
    any ideas?

When you say has to be able to cope with swimming, do you just mean it has to be waterproof or do you mean it has to be able to track swimming?

Do you need heart rate monitoring?
  • halogen
    halogen Posts: 426 Forumite
    ozaz wrote: »
    When you say has to be able to cope with swimming, do you just mean it has to be waterproof or do you mean it has to be able to track swimming?

Do you need heart rate monitoring?
    ahh yes that wasn't clear sorry. Track swimming and a heart rate monitor would be good yes, although not essential.
    I have bought several fitness gadgets in the past year but they have all been rubbish so I'm obviously not a good judge of these things so I'm wary of spending more money.
    If anyone wants any of the following items PM me!
    TENS belt
    Waterproof MP3 player
    Posture trainer
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've always thought fitness trackers were just a gimmick, particularly as I'm already active (walking to/from work and regular gym visits).
    I bought one (Fitbit 2) on NYE as a 2018 gift to myself, wore it for about 3 days and it really just served to confirm my suspicion. Have only worn it once since.

A lot of the stats are well inaccurate as well. So if were me I'd advise you to spend your money on some nice gym leggings/tops etc instead. But if you're determined I think the Fitbit 2 is said to be the best around at that price point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure