PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Seller moved the goal posts

Options
So, I will try to keep it short

After being gazumped on the day of exchange with our other property we quickly found another and had our offer accepted after some negotiation

The property was advertised as chain free, as we are also chain free and looking to move quickly due to too many commitments in June and July and the fact tenancy are ending etc etc, it was the houses main selling point. Especially as we should of completed mid March with the other house.

Solicitor instructed again, mortgage offer changed over within a week and searches back within 2 weeks of offer....but no draft contracts, after a call every day for a over a week to both the EA and my own solicitor still they are ‘chasing it’, today I called the EA again and said I need to know what is happening as my solicitor can’t get a reply from he vendors. This is when the estate agent said the draft copy had been send out on the 12th from the their solicitors, now I’d already been advised they weren’t using the EA solicitors so there’s the first trip up, I said that wasn’t true as I’ve been chasing since before then and someone would of said before the 26th!. As I’ve phoned 4 times this week alone.

She then went on to say “you also have to remember the vendor hasn’t found a flat she has likes yet”......I quickly reminded her that this was advertised as a chain free sale, and I have been advised in person by their EA and the vendor that as this is a sale from a divorce they are both going their separate ways and she is moving in with her daughter until she was ready to find somewhere else. (husband left a few months previous). The EA acted shocked and said she will have to investigate further. I spoke to the vendor Tuesday when I went round to double check a few things with the house and she again said they are packing everything up and she will be staying with her daughter..

The EA called back 5 minutes later to say the contracts will be sent out tomorrow at the latest. But hadn’t found anything out about this chain situation.

I’ve since emailed her saying that a house in a chain isn’t something viable for us so can she get a difintive answer to me by tomorrow at the latest. I really don’t want to spend money yet again on searches and surveys but there are other chain free property’s in the area so I’m not willing to wait months for it.

Has something like this happened to anyone else on here and how did it play out?

Does anyone think the EAs and solicitors are stalling for as long as possible (4 weeks so far) before moving to exchange due to this reason? (They are aware I wish to complete within a week of exchange)

Could there be another reason?

Any feedback appreciate as always guys

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jaywood89 wrote: »

Does anyone think the EAs and solicitors are stalling for as long as possible

Nope. Speed will in the main be driven by the vendors actions or lack of. EAs and solicitors have better things to do with their time (i.e. they will get paid for).
  • anselld
    anselld Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You mention "She" is packing up and moving in with daughter.
    What about "He"?
    Divorcing couples are notorious for giving conflicting instructions and disagreeing on intentions. You need to get the same answer from the mouth of both horses to be sure.
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    Ex husband has already moved out 3 months ago, they divorced over a year ago but hadn!!!8217;t agreed on whether to sell until November last year when it went on the market
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Their other daughter was still living at home but on Tuesday she was there packing the last of her things as she was moving in with her boyfriend, it was only the mother still in the house now
  • ric1982
    ric1982 Posts: 222 Forumite
    Options
    My view is that EA will try to lie to their teeth to keep the deal going as long as possible. If you have vendor's direct contact details then call them.

It is possible that EA/Sol are stalling it on the instructions of the vendor. I would not blame this solely on EA.

If you find something that you like and is truly chain free then tell this vendor that I have found something else and if you are not willing to honour your own words then I am out!

It all about trust!
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Thanks for replies, as ric1982 said I!!!8217;m worried it!!!8217;s the vendor instructing solicitors / EA to wait until she has found something.

I really hate pointless dishonesty! Especially if it wastes my time and money. I made my position for the sale very clear, need to be in by mid May at latest was literally the first point I made.
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    And also yes I do have her direct number but I!!!8217;m trying to keep it professional and use the people being paid to chase this. She has offered that if I need to call her with questions she will be of help but I think this is ultimately an emotional sale for her so I don!!!8217;t want to make what must be a difficult time for her worse
  • kk235b
    kk235b Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah it's enraging isn't it? I'm currently buying a house that was advertised as chain free, which was brilliant as I was in a 6 month rental contract. A few days before proposed exchange date, it transpired the seller decided to buy a place after all and now my rental is up and I'm basically couchsurfing while she pushes the date further and further out and doesn't update EA or solicitors, and I do feel like she is stalling for time until her new property is ready to move into. Mind boggling how selfish people can be!!

Really hope you get sorted soon. Precarious living situations are not cool :-(
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Thanks for the replies

I’m awaiting confirmation from the EA as to the vendors TRUE position and ice made it clear a chain isn’t something I will continue with.

I’ve moved passed the shock of it to anger today, it really grinds me that someone can take liberty’s when people are offering them near half a million for their house (or any money for that matter) you would think people would be trying to ensure their buyer is happy (within reason) . My previous vendor acted like she was doing me a favour selling me her house and I’m afraid this one is too!
  • Jaywood89
    Options
    Just got an email from my solicitor saying they had been in touch with the vendors solicitor who stated the vendors haven!!!8217;t provided any ID or payment for the contracts to be sent and they are awaiting this before they can move forward

What the actual *beep*!!!

This is completely the opposite to what the EA said last night which was that they were sending the contracts today at the latest! And after the vendor said they had given in everything they had been asked to hand in and didn!!!8217;t know what was holding things up

I really hate being lied to like a I!!!8217;m a gullible moron!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure