Declaring Premium Bonds

Options
Hi all,
I now have £1000 in premium bonds. I also have £2000 in my second account. Obviously I need to report a change of circumstance for my ESA. Would it be safest to declare both of these sums? Or do I only need to mention the £1000?
Any help appreciated.

Comments

• huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it is savings, investments etc exceeding £6000 you have to declare for ESA. Below £6000 you don't have to declare normally, but if they ever write or phone you to check, then you disclose and they may ask for bank statements etc to make sure you are giving accurate information.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    When I was claiming ESA you had to tell them about any money in savings/investments, not just those over £6000
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Any savings held at the time of claim should have been declared when the claim was made. If you have since been gifted the Premium Bonds, and your total capital remains below £6k there is no need to report them. However, if you are reporting another change of circumstance, or the bonds and 2nd account take you over the £6k lower limit, you do need to report ALL capital.
  • Afraid_of_Kittens
    Options
    Data matching will find any undeclared savings - your claim might be suspended while they investigate - declaring could save you lots of hassle in the future - even if your savings are below the amount that will impact your claim.
    I enjoy flower arranging, kittens, devil worship, the study of serial killers and their methods and road kill jigsaws.
  • rvj87
    rvj87 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I take it I won't be too late to declare them? It's only been about 6 days.
  • rvj87
    Options
    p.s. I have had a payment of esa about an hour ago so everything seems to be fine still. I am slightly concerned about rocking the boat/creating unnecessary trouble for myself by declaring. I do still have £1400 in my bank account as well (still a small enough amount to not matter?). Would it be enough to send them bank statements along with a covering letter?
  • rvj87
    Options
    p.p.s worried that declaring might affect my PIP as well. Also concerned about accusations of breaking the law. Not good for my anxiety/depression
  • rvj87
    Options
    Can someone please clear things up? Now very worried.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Taking a few days to report a change is not going to create any kind of problem. From the figures you have quoted you have remained below £6k anyway so there is absolutely nothing to worry about.
    I don't think PIP is Income Related, so it won't be affected by savings.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    rvj87 wrote: »
    p.p.s worried that declaring might affect my PIP as well. Also concerned about accusations of breaking the law. Not good for my anxiety/depression
    PIP isn't means tested so won't be affect even if you had over £6000, which you said you don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure