Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brclub
    • By brclub 16th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    • 145Posts
    • 40Thanks
    brclub
    Bankrupt 7 years ago, creditor called today
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:13 PM
    Bankrupt 7 years ago, creditor called today 16th Apr 18 at 4:13 PM
    Hi all,

I went bankrupt back in July 2011 and a Vodafone account I had was included on it (Iím sure it was anyway!!).

Today I had a call from a company called NCL Resolve saying that they had an account passed to them for the money I owed to Vodafone.

I informed them I was declared bankrupt, and they were able to check and confirmed it, and they said they would send the account back explaining I was made bankrupt.

What I want to know is can they chase me for this? And if I didnít include it on my bankruptcy would they be entitled to the money back?

I told them not to update the address to my current address, which theyíve said they wonít, but Iím worried Iím going to chased for this now.
    Thereís nothing on my credit file for this anymore, I just want to know what theyíre legally entitled to do about this old debt.

Many thanks,
    Richard.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 16th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 13,782 Posts
    • 13,098 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    Hi Rich

Legally they cant do a thing.

When you go bankrupt, its not like in a DRO or IVA for example, where you have to list your debts in order for them to be included.

In bankruptcy, all your debt are included (with some certain exceptions) so they cannot chase you for this debt.

Accounts involved in an insolvency do get sold on sometimes, but you have nothing to worry about here as your bankruptcy will of covered this debt.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 16-04-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • brclub
    • By brclub 16th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 145 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    brclub
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    Hi Rich

Legally they cant do a thing.

When you go bankrupt, its not like in a DRO or IVA for example, where you have to list your debts in order for them to be included.

In bankruptcy, all your debt are included (with some certain exceptions) so they cannot chase you for this debt.

Accounts involved in an insolvency do get sold on sometimes, but you have nothing to worry about here as your bankruptcy will of covered this debt.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    Thanks so much for your quick response, youíve put my mind at rest.

I thought this was the case but for my own peace of mind I just wanted to get it confirmed.

I canít believe theyíre still chasing after so long, it was only about £90 at the time if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks again,
    Richard.
    • maxmycardagain
    • By maxmycardagain 18th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    maxmycardagain
    • 18th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 18th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    O2 chased me via debt collectors, and the bill got sold on several times, in the end the penny dropped.

the HMRC CCJ for £10K hung round like a bad smell but after going through the CC and HMRC it got wiped
    Dont worry, be happy
    • fermi
    • By fermi 18th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 39,440 Posts
    • 47,472 Thanks
    fermi
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 18th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    If you want to respond, 1st post in this thread may help

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768717
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,417Users online

Martin's Twitter