Exclusive Rights in UK & Ireland

Hi

What does this mean exactly or where can I find out more information. We wanted to start a business and can source the product we need but have found a company that offers something similar who state on their website they have 'exclusive rights in the UK and Ireland' I am guessing it's a no go then?

Comments

• bingo_bango
    bingo_bango Posts: 2,594 Forumite
    Not necessarily.

They may have 'exclusive' rights to sell in UK & Ireland through a licensing deal from their own supplier, but that does not mean that the same product cannot be licensed from another supplier and sold in the same market.

If, on the other hand, they have exclusive sale rights direct from the manufacturer, that may make things a little more tricky. You would probably need to approach the manufacturer in that case and make no mention of the other company and their exclusivity. Just ask for a deal to buy and if they say no because they already have a single supplier option, then you may need to reconsider your options.

You also say that they sell 'something similar'. If it isn't the same product then there really isn't an issue. Just how 'similar' is it?
  • I wouldn't assume that their claim is real and even if it is then it often isn't watertight. Really you need to find out more information from the manufacturer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure