Returning from abroad. Can I claim benefit?

Options
Hi. I am British and left my job in the UK in January 2012 before moving abroad in July. I was intending to work abroad but was unable to and have now used up my savings. I'm having to move back to the UK for personal reasons and will be looking for to go back to work there. Can I ask whether I can apply for any form of benefit while I look for work? I will be trying to find temporary accommodation with friends ( I have no family in UK or support from them) but that might not be possible. I am very worried I will have nowhere to live and no money to assist me until I find my feet and find work again. Many thanks.

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try entering your details here http://www.turn2us.org.uk/
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    if you were working for a couple of years before you left, and have paid NI in the qualifying years, then you would be entitled to JSA.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    Even if you are homeless, it's very unlikely you will get even temporary accommodation provided for you unless there is some very compelling reason http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/homelessness/help_from_the_council/priority_need . So friend's sofa would be best bet till you get sorted.
  • jobseeking_help
    Options
    Canadair wrote: »
    Hi. I am British and left my job in the UK in January 2012 before moving abroad in July. I was intending to work abroad but was unable to and have now used up my savings. I'm having to move back to the UK for personal reasons and will be looking for to go back to work there. Can I ask whether I can apply for any form of benefit while I look for work? I will be trying to find temporary accommodation with friends ( I have no family in UK or support from them) but that might not be possible. I am very worried I will have nowhere to live and no money to assist me until I find my feet and find work again. Many thanks.

If you do apply for JSA ( gov.uk ) can I suggest that you request to be assessed for both JSA C AND JSA IB
  • CAB_Birmingham_representative
    CAB_Birmingham_representative Posts: 89 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Canadair wrote: »

Dear Candair,

May we first apologise for the delay in responding to your enquiry.
    You may need to apply for Job Seekers Allowance at the Job Centre on your return to the UK. Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) has both a contribution-based and an income-based element. If you have paid enough Class 1 National Insurance you will get contribution-based JSA as long as you are available and actively seeking work. If you do not qualify for contribution-based JSA, you may qualify for income-based JSA.

If you have any problems with claiming benefits, it may be best for you to visit your local bureau where an assessor can assist you further.

As you state that you have no income, you may be able to apply for a crisis loan however this is dependant upon your personal circumstances. A crisis loan is an interest free loan from the social fund for individuals who urgently need help with living expenses. You do not have to be on a benefit to apply, however you will need to check your eligibility as you have been abroad for the last few months. To check whether or not you are eligible to make a claim, you can contact the free phone helpline on 0800 032 7952.

In regards to finding a place to stay, you may wish to contact a housing and homeless charity called ‘Shelter’ as suggested by a poster above. Shelter will be able to provide you with housing options and advice on accommodation on 0844 515 1800.

Once you have settled back in to the UK, you may wish to get a benefit check to see if you are entitled to any other benefits (i.e. Housing benefit/ Council Tax benefit) once you have a tenancy agreement. You can receive a free benefit check by visiting your local bureau or contacting Turn2us on 0808 802 2000.

We hope this has been useful for you, please contact us again if you need further support.

Kind regards,
    Birmingham CAB
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure