Am I his widow?

Options
Hi Sorry, put this on main thread initially.
My husband has just died. We are separated, (not legally) so still married, but he is living with someone else. Am I his widow, and if so do I need to contact anyone, benefits or other authorities? Thanks.:(

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    Yes. If you're married and he's died, then you're his widow. If it was the other way about he'd be your widower.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Has some one registered his death?
    Is there a will?
    Are you the named executor?
  • Yorkshireman99
    Options
    rosiesq wrote: »
    Hi Sorry, put this on main thread initially.
    My husband has just died. We are separated, (not legally) so still married, but he is living with someone else. Am I his widow, and if so do I need to contact anyone, benefits or other authorities? Thanks.:(
    Yes you are and unless he left a valid will you will inherit under the intestacy rules.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We have to remember that the deceased had a partner, i know not married but please remember that she has lost her partner and give a little consideration
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,382 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The partner will be able to deal with the immediate practical aspects, such as registering the death, but as noted the key question will be whether he left a will or not. If he didn't, things could be very difficult for you and the partner to deal with.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Pensions are another issue. Some schemes will only pay a widow's pension to the legally married spouse, separated or not.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,376 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As Tony said above...its all going to hinge on whether he had a will or not, especially if he owns property with his partner, on a Tenants in Common basis. Does he have any ownership of the house you're living in (eg ex-family home), and how is that owned?

On top of grief, his has the potential to be very distressing financial situation. For Whom, depends on the above.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • rosiesq
    rosiesq Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for the late reply, think I've got my answer now. Thank you all. X
  • rosiesq
    rosiesq Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi More queries..sorry! Moving on from the last post, this is now the situation. His partner has lost/mislaid/cannot find the will. I was advised to apply for probate as his next of kin, which I have done. She has filed a Caveat. I have now been advised to issue a warning, which I am in the process of doing. I'm struggling with the legal jargon! Can anyone explain:

1. 'Address of Caveator, or Caveators solicitor, this is known as the address for service - It should be exactly as is stated in the Caveat.'
    I haven't seen the Caveat..does this imply that I can access it to get the details?

2. Interest: (Here you set out the name and interest (including the date of the will, if any under which the interest arises) of the party warning, the name of his/her solicitor, and the address for service. If the party warning is acting in person this must be stated)
    What exactly does 'the interest' mean? Is it asking me why I've applied for probate?

3. 'If you are an administrator of the estate you must state the Marital status of the deceased, your relationship and clear of any person with a prior right.
    I don't understand the 'clear of any person with a prior right?'

Many thanks. Can I respectfully ask that you simply answer the queries, and not comment on any emotional aspects, as we are finding this all very difficult. X
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi More queries..sorry! Moving on from the last post, this is now the situation. His partner has lost/mislaid/cannot find the will.
    Is she claiming that he made a new will after separating from you, which she cannot now find? If so, it may be worth contacting solicitors local to where he was living, I believe they will 'ask around' to see if any of them are holding it or were engaged in drawing it up.

Obviously you may just wish to suggest that she does this, if she's sure there's a will to find ...
    1. 'Address of Caveator, or Caveators solicitor, this is known as the address for service - It should be exactly as is stated in the Caveat.'
    I haven't seen the Caveat..does this imply that I can access it to get the details?
    If you're not using a solicitor, I'd phone the Probate office and ask them. How do you know one has been issued?
    2. Interest: (Here you set out the name and interest (including the date of the will, if any under which the interest arises) of the party warning, the name of his/her solicitor, and the address for service. If the party warning is acting in person this must be stated)
    What exactly does 'the interest' mean? Is it asking me why I've applied for probate?
    Basically, yes. If there's no will (was there one while you were together?) OR if the appointed executors cannot / will not act, then it has to be someone with an 'interest' who applies for letters of administration (without a will) / probate (if there is a will). Generally it's expected that the closest person with an 'interest' will do so, so you're closest.
    3. 'If you are an administrator of the estate you must state the Marital status of the deceased, your relationship and clear of any person with a prior right.
    I don't understand the 'clear of any person with a prior right?'
    Just checking, are you / was he in Scotland?

I'm only asking, because googling that phrase 'clear of any person with a prior right' brings up a Scottish reference, but nothing exactly matching that phrase. I think it's GOT to mean you explaining why you've got better rights than anyone else, but I can't be sure. Probate office will be your friend, unless you're using a solicitor.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport