PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renegiotators, chipping and other tactics..

Comments

• hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Just say it's very unfortunate but that's more than you have in the bank so it'll regretfully have to be a no. If they think that's it, they'll stop. If they know you'll keep reducing, they'll keep asking/insisting.

You take the risk of losing them though. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Depends if you want to risk them dropping the price again later, and if you trust them(!), and if you do actually have the money! You could always try getting the links above you to pay, although that's not going to go down well.

Make sure you take everything you can possibly take (not ticked as being left) and I'd not go out of my way for them. Yes business is business, but it doesn't sound like they're playing particularly fair.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    sderrick wrote: »
    I am over the barrel on this one, as it's the first offer we have had on the flat since marketing it - over 6-7 months. I want to tell them FO but we have an offer accepted on a house we really want and they probably know this.

Mate, it's not the buyer's fault theirs is the first/only offer you've had in 6-7 months...

You've put yourself over that barrel I'm afraid.
  • sderrick
    sderrick Posts: 24 Forumite
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    Mate, it's not the buyer's fault theirs is the first/only offer you've had in 6-7 months...

You've put yourself over that barrel I'm afraid.

Yes I know that, but there still has to be some morals about it.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    What hazyjo said; "investors" never play fair in my experience, their default setting is taking the urine. Whether you allow them to, OP, is your decision to make but, if theirs is the only offer you have had in six months, perhaps your expectations could do with a reality check; sorry, that's the way it is.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    What hazyjo said; "investors" never play fair in my experience, their default setting is taking the urine. Whether you allow them to, OP, is your decision to make but, if theirs is the only offer you have had in six months, perhaps your expectations could do with a reality check; sorry, that's the way it is.

Some investors do play fair and still offer cash.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Some investors do play fair and still offer cash.

And offer anything over 75% of what the property is worth? Not in my, admittedly limited, experience.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Smodlet wrote: »
    And offer anything over 75% of what the property is worth? Not in my, admittedly limited, experience.

You haven't met me. Mind you we don't buy property that is difficult to sell on the basis that if someone doesn't want to buy it to live in no one is going to want to rent it. In business both sides have to feel that they have won a little bit.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    I'd be back in and say no, 3k was my final offer which was more than reasonable.

State factually that to bring it up to regs requires a consumer unit change and perhaps some minor works on top. Not a full rewire, and that the artex ceiling was there and visible when they viewed.

Do you have the rightmove link? We have had success stories on here with suggestions for some cheap changes that have made properties much more saleable very quickly, so it may be worth it if they bail on you so you can get the place under offer again quickly.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    sderrick wrote: »
    Yes I know that, but there still has to be some morals about it.

The moral is, if it's taken that long to get an offer, it's overpriced.

The buyer knows it. You know it too, but are in denial. It doesn't really matter what their tactics are - it's how you react. You're indulging them and allowing them to continue to try it on. If you don't like it, stand firm and insist on your price. Take it or leave it.

Or, if you're that annoyed, remarket it and sell to someone else. Whether you can find someone else however, and what price they'll give you, is another question...
  • sderrick
    sderrick Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 2:27PM
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    The moral is, if it's taken that long to get an offer, it's overpriced.

The buyer knows it. You know it too, but are in denial. It doesn't really matter what their tactics are - it's how you react. You're indulging them and allowing them to continue to try it on. If you don't like it, stand firm and insist on your price. Take it or leave it.

Or, if you're that annoyed, remarket it and sell to someone else. Whether you can find someone else however, and what price they'll give you, is another question...

I understand what you mean, but this is my first time selling a flat.

I had it valued by 4-5 different agents, Minimum value was £275,000 max £290,000....I thought that was massively overpriced but I trusted the experts who were trying to sell it. I put it up for 275...270...260.

There is only so much a homeowner can know and you end up trusting the agents assigned to selling the property.

*Update* told them we were sticking at £3k and they have accepted....but now trying to say that "only if we get an undertaking signed by the freeholders to split the cost of re-felting flat roofs". I'm in a block of 4 flats and with 3 of co-freeholders. I'm sure they will tell to take a hike when I ask that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure