Claimng deferred state pension online

Options

Comments

• uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks,

I'm not clear that the other thread answered my question. If you are paid a four weekly payment within a week of you qualifying it isn't in arrears it is in advance unless there is something that I have missed. Specifically as an example, if you are paid 4 weeks pension a week after "your birthday" then 1 week is in arrears and three weeks seems to me to be in advance.

I'll rephrase my underlying question to see if anyone can answer it.

I have claimed for our pension to start directly after the new tax year on the presumption that the deferral calculation starting point will be based on the increased pension starting on 5th April which has a nominal calculation advantage (in addition to the additional defferred weks) over calculating it the previous weeks.

If the pension is paid in arrears then I woulde expect the defferal calculation to be calculated based on the current pension rather the higher one. No?

This pursues the idea I suggested in a thread some time ago.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5418521&highlight=
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    uk1 wrote: »
    Thanks,

I'm not clear that the other thread answered my question. If you are paid a four weekly payment within a week of you qualifying it isn't in arrears it is in advance unless there is something that I have missed. Specifically as an example, if you are paid 4 weeks pension a week after "your birthday" then 1 week is in arrears and three weeks seems to me to be in advance.

I'll rephrase my underlying question to see if anyone can answer it.

I have claimed for our pension to start directly after the new tax year on the presumption that the deferral calculation starting point will be based on the increased pension starting on 5th April which has a nominal calculation advantage (in addition to the additional defferred weks) over calculating it the previous weeks.

If the pension is paid in arrears then I woulde expect the defferal calculation to be calculated based on the current pension rather the higher one. No?

This pursues the idea I suggested in a thread some time ago.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5418521&highlight=

As you are now paid in arrears,if you wanted your pension to start on week 1,you will receive your payment in week 5 ( if you select the 4 week payment cycle ) so allways in arrears:)
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • uk1
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    As you are now paid in arrears,if you wanted your pension to start on week 1,you will receive your payment in week 5 ( if you select the 4 week payment cycle ) so allways in arrears:)

Thanks,

So you are saying that if I stated online that I wanted my pension to start on 6th April then the first payment will be four weeks later?
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2018 at 7:49PM
    Options
    And now it is going to get even more complicated because state pension does not go up at the beginning of the tax year (6th April). There is usually one week in the new tax year that is paid at the old rate. You do not get any of the 4 weeks paid in advance. Each week is paid at the rate it should be according to the rate it was when it was "earned".

For example, when I get mine on 27th April, I will get one week at the old rate due 6th April & 3 wks at the new for w/e 13th, 20th & 27th. If they are assessing you for tax be careful as they don't follow their own rules & will over assess, not by much but more than it should be.

Day 1 Friday April 6th payment date Thursday 3rd of May is my understanding. If you specified receiving payment on 6th April then it will start either Sat 10th or Monday 12th March. That I think will depend on how they perceived your request. You will not lose anything with regards to when your pension starts, it will go up to whatever it would have been - except of course for any additional deferral increase.
  • uk1
    Options
    "How they perceived your request" ?

Surely if you complete an online form then it isn't a matter of perception.

From what I can see, I don't think my question will be answered. :(
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks,

the only payment under the old rules that got paid in advance was weekly payments, All other payment were paid in arrears. If under the old rules, your first payment was two weeks after your start date, all you got was two weeks, it then went four weekly after, the same if, your first payment was five weeks, you got five week payments and four weekly after that, but all in arrears.
  • uk1
    Options
    anmarj wrote: »
    the only payment under the old rules that got paid in advance was weekly payments, All other payment were paid in arrears. If under the old rules, your first payment was two weeks after your start date, all you got was two weeks, it then went four weekly after, the same if, your first payment was five weeks, you got five week payments and four weekly after that, but all in arrears.

Thanks!

That makes sense. So basically you tell them when you wish your pension to start, and the first payment is the amount you are owed from your start date and at the time they make the payment.

In the other thread posters seem to be saying that they received payments of four weeks a week after their retirement.
  • anmarj
    anmarj Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They have been very lucky on the payment cycle! :p
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,793 Forumite
    Options
    "How they perceived your request" ?

Surely if you complete an online form then it isn't a matter of perception.

From what I can see, I don't think my question will be answered. :(

I said perceived as I didn't know the actual question you were answering. Was it I wish my pension start date to be .... or was it I wish my first 4 weekly payment to be received on?
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    the only payment under the old rules that got paid in advance was weekly payments, All other payment were paid in arrears
    No it wasn't.

Under the old payday and periodicity rules (before 2010, not to be confused with the nSP "new rules") if you were paid four weekly it was actually paid three weeks in arrears and one week in advance.

What people seem to have overlooked is the the first payment of a four weekly cycle usually pays for less than four weeks to put the person "on cycle".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure