Second time lucky... debt free diary.

Comments

• Good morning. Spent the morning waiting for deliveries. Still waiting for the cat litter to arrive.

I was curious this morning and sat and went through the statements for the CC that DH spends on. They only go back 18 months. On there I the car, car parts for the old car, fuel, small shops at the corner shop. The bit I wanted to check was how much stuff he had bought when self employed, in the 18 months there is just under £1000! I know there was more before. None of it claimed for! Along with his whole redundancy to buy his start up (over £10k), it was probably one of the biggest, most expensive learning curves adding to the debt. If he had listened to me and used his redundancy for debt payments we would probably be almost debt free now, or at least only half what we have. Not having almost £30k debt and a storage unit (also costing us £20 a week!) full of things that never got used.

I'm at work this afternoon, will need to get bread for the weekend.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Hope all is well CT x
  • Mags35
    Mags35 Posts: 10 Forumite
    I read your diary and just wanted to say well done! What you’ve achieved is fantastic :j
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Just catching up... how very frustrating for you about the money that went on SE. :( Does he still need the tools for anything or could they go on 3bay to recoup some of the costs? Or maybe on one of those community notice boards, as you wouldn't have to factor in postage costs.

We have a couple of passports to update this month, too. It's costly, isn't it! At least you won't have to redo them for years to come.

We had storage briefly when we were having work done on the house and it's a money pit. Is there anything in yours you could sell? If it's being stored you may never need it again. (Not that I could ever be a minimalist. I have a pile of stuff waiting to be sold that's taking up living space but doesn't seem to have listed itself).

Well done on not putting the above on cards! That really shows how valuable it is to have savings, so pat on the back for you. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • charlies_tribe
    charlies_tribe Posts: 1,459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 October 2017 at 1:39PM
    Thank you for your posts x

Cherryfudge, All the stuff in the storage unit needs sorting and selling as is no longer needed but getting time to do it seems impossible, but would give us some money back and eventually wont have to pay the storage either. Thing is most of it is seasonal so may have to wait until next spring to get the better prices (extremely large inflatables used at summer parties).

We were away last week with no internet on site and the week before we were busy with work and getting ready... unsuccessfully!

Had to take a bag of wet clothes with us i hadn't got dry and the bags of food shopping were still on the worktop when we got home.

I am absolutely disgusted with how much we spent! I know this is because we went with family and how unorganised we are! I owe £650 back to the yearly bills account! We didn't even buy lots of things, it was lunches and drinks out, the kids had jumpers, and they all had £30 to spend.

Positives..
    We had a fantastic time!

I can pay the money back this month to the bills account and i've still paid my £600 to debt (£678 actually as had an unexpected payment go out this morning). I didn't use the food account for food shopping as forgot my bank card so that can be transferred back too.

The weather has been nice since we got back and i've managed to catch up on 13! loads of washing already. (yes you read that right, 13 loads of washing and still some to go!)

I'm going to start fresh from the first November and get back on track.

Suppose i better get ready for first day back at work, the stew for dinner is starting to smell lovely in the slow cooker.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Just a quick update. Just checked the food account, as I had mentioned before, getting over halfway through the month on the months before money. I have transferred the £650 from there to put back in the yearly account and still left a little bit in there ready to cover any 5 week months.
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It must have been worth it as you had such a good time!

The decluttering/MS/lifestyle gurus seem think there is a tipping point at which it all gets easier and we start to feel we're winning (I wouldn't know yet ;) ) so keep chipping away at it all. In fact this morning's payment shows how very well you are doing!

I completely see why the storage needs to remain for now (much like all the stuff in My Mum's old house).

Perhaps make yourself a note of list of things you can prep ahead for next holiday? I know there may be last minute things and forgotten things and especially things that other people introduce into the equation but they are easier to deal with if you feel you have a handle on the structure of getting a bunch of people from A to B with all the clothes, teddy bears, medication, reading matter, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, cold weather gear, tickets, passports, games to keep kids amused on the way, food for the journey, small items of food that aren't worth buying when you're there etc. etc - well when you get that down to a fine art, the rest gets easier. ;~)

I think that holds the record for the longest-ever sentence on this forum. :rotfl:

What I'm trying to say is, make a note of anything that may help next time. It may not save the day entirely but it might help. :)

The important thing is that you came back having had a wonderful trip. :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Just wanted to post 1st of month update before I go to work
    Month 7..
    Loan: - £0!
    mbna1: - £0!
    lloyds: - £6347
    mbna2: - £7759
    barclay: - £3100
    tesco: - £8142
    sofa: - £3753

Total - £29101

£4453/£33553 (13.2%) paid.
  • Evening. I don't know where the time is going but it's flying by!

Cherryfudge, sorry I didn't reply the other day. It has made me more determined to be organised. I'm pretty good at lists...just not actually completing them lol. This time after washing I have rolled and bagged all the wetsuits together, not spread around the house. Beach towels, tea towels and clothes are all packed back up together too instead of on the shelf. Hopefully as I do children's rooms the clothes will be easier too.

Had opticians yesterday, I need new glasses so £150 spent there. £6 for a subscription for ds. Had to do a couple of small shops too.
    Had this tears pay out from TCB of £188. I was going to use it towards Christmas but it's covered the cost of my glasses instead.

Girls went swimming today, dd2 was doing her first distance badge since starting the club, she's only ever done 100m in 1 go before but managed a whole 32 laps and her 800m badge (£3.75). She also got a letter for the next competition, not sure if she will take part, she's extremely sensitive and scared she'll come last.

Suppose I really should go to sleep as working all day tomorrow.
  • Evening. Not much to update. Was at work all day yesterday, Did spend £4 on tea things. Today I haven't even got dressed.
    I have got a shopping order coming tomorrow as I forgot to do it for today and I've done a bit of Christmas shopping too.

DH came I this morning and tried to do a ready meal and the microwave filled the whole house with smoke! It's been thrown outside. I thought we hardly used it but 4 times today I've gone to use it before I realised (porridge, beans, hot choc and choc fudge cake). Just want a basic one as we never used the oven bit, there just seems so many to choose from

Then this evening the little ones were in the shower and the boiler sounds like an aeroplane taking off! Defiantly think it will need replacing pretty soon.

At work tomorrow so shouldn't be any spending.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback