Starting a wheelie bin cleaning business

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I don't understand why anyone would pay to have their wheelie bin cleaned? I havenever felt the need to clean mine but would do it myself if I did.

You really need to research your market
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SailorSam wrote: »
    A similar type of thing i've seen a window cleaner around here and instead of ladders,he has a tank of water in the back of his van and a power hose,

All our local window cleaners went over to this system when the H&S regulations changed so that they had to have someone holding the bottom of the ladder - two wages for the same amount of work doesn't compute.
  • scoobyju1
    scoobyju1 Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    One of my neighbours uses a wheelie bin cleaner. She mentioned recently how she's had 3 or 4 different companies doing it as the previous ones just disappear off the face of the earth...just stop showing up.

Now obviously I don't know the reasons but that's quite a high turnover!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    scoobyju1 wrote: »

Now obviously I don't know the reasons but that's quite a high turnover!

I would guess (and could be completely wrong) that they weren't making enough money, so tried their hand at something else.

Do you know if many of your neighbours have their bins cleaned?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • scoobyju1
    I would guess (and could be completely wrong) that they weren't making enough money, so tried their hand at something else.

Do you know if many of your neighbours have their bins cleaned?

I'd say 3 or 4 in a street of 22. No idea on cost though, sorry!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,608 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    scoobyju1 wrote: »
    I'd say 3 or 4 in a street of 22. No idea on cost though, sorry!

Clearly a street of MSErs, most don't waste their money!
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • scoobyju1
    Clearly a street of MSErs, most don't waste their money!

I was talking to someone in the street & we had both come to the same conclusion. I think I clean mine myself twice a year at best & that keeps them clean enough!
  • oystercatcher
    oystercatcher Posts: 2,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    My neighbour used to pay someone to clean her wheelie bin but haven't noticed them coming for ages now. There used to be a wheelie bin cleaner who would tail the bin lorry , wash the bins and take them back to the side of the houses.

I have a feeling that since we now have multiple bins for recycling the actual rubbish bin doesn't go as nasty as it used to, no nasty food waste in it now. Our food waste goes in with garden waste and the bin is never that bad. Other areas have a small food waste bin which must be pretty easy to wash yourself.
    Decluttering, 20 mins / day Jan 2024 2/2 
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    I would guess that a lot of people have come to the conclusion that buying wheelie bin bags are cheaper than paying to have them cleaned.

Anyway, it is just as easy to drop the bin over the kerb and give it a quick hose out yourself.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• I used to see someone cleaning wheelie bins around my neighbourhood but he hasn't been around for a while. I think he did 1 out of my 10 immediate neighbours.

My brown waste bin does get pretty rank in the summer with nicely-fermenting grass clippings slow-cooking the food waste. We aren't allowed to put anything plastic in it, so can't use liners. It doesn't get washed out as often as it should because there is usually something really nasty stuck to the bottom that I really don't want to get too close to, and certainly don't want it spread all over the drive or blocking the drains.
    I'd consider paying someone to clean it properly but probably only 3/4 times a year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure