Sell your gold - guide discussion

Options

Comments

• robtgossard
    robtgossard Posts: 43 Forumite
    Options
    That's a lot informative discussion. My aunt has gold jewelry that she wants to sell off, but she is waiting for the gold prices to go up before she does so. Can anyone suggest the price point to sell gold? She is not in the urgency to sell.
  • BenDPB
    BenDPB Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I work in the Gold Buying industry and my advise would be to shop around and if possible enquire how much the item weighs.

If you are offered anything less than £10 a gram for 9ct I would politly tell them no, the best rates tend to be for anything from £10g-£12g if your lucky.

Also EVERY shop you go into wants YOUR Gold and they will try and haggle for that gold, the less they pay you the more profit they make which means more commision. Now this is where YOU haggle, never take the 2nd or maybe even 3rd offer they give you and if they ask how much you are looking for just simply say your best price and finally they will also ask of you have been somewhere else to which you say Yes if you have but if they ask how much you have been quoted do not tell them.

As Brits we tend to find it hard to haggle and negotioate on prices, the Gold selling is the easiest and best place to haggle for anything because that little bag of gold you was offered £100 for could go up to £150 in 5 minutes if your willing to work for it and not take the first offer no matter how tempting it sounds.
  • frankiesays
    frankiesays Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    I have a gold pocket watch and chain that I am contemplating selling, how can I tell how much gold is in it as there is also the glass, etc. Everything inside appears to be hallmarked.
  • Buster_Danog
    Buster_Danog Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Has anyone sold the gold from a dental crown. I had one removed and have the crown which is in two pieces. However, I don't now what carat gold it is, or the grams for that matter.
  • dickieSkinner
    Options
    Not all gold buyers are as ruthless as may be perceived, I sent my gold to GoldRushMoney.co.uk and they tested and told me the carat of my gold as I had no idea whatsoever.

By the looks of things they're a new site and provided me with a really good service. So hopefully they don't turn ruthless like some of the others.
  • Golden_Lollipop
    Options
    Has anyone sold the gold from a dental crown. I had one removed and have the crown which is in two pieces. However, I don't now what carat gold it is, or the grams for that matter.

Gold crowns will be a minimum of 14ct (approximately £15 per gram 5/07/2013), sometimes as high as 22ct (approximately £23.30 per gram). my Best advice is to clean it out as much as possible so only gold is left and no one has to estimate the weight - then send it or take it in person to a gold buyer that has access to an XRF 'gun' this technology allows them to scan the surface of the material to determine the carat.
  • Golden_Lollipop
    Options
    Not all gold buyers are as ruthless as may be perceived, I sent my gold to GoldRushMoney.co.uk and they tested and told me the carat of my gold as I had no idea whatsoever.

By the looks of things they're a new site and provided me with a really good service. So hopefully they don't turn ruthless like some of the others.

You had no idea of the carat you sent them yet these guys have been amazing?

Maybe they have been 100% honest but how do you know that you didn't send in 18ct gold and they have told you its 9ct, pocketing gold at half price?

Its always best to find out before you post otherwise you are rolling the dice.

(I don't mean to imply that this company is doing anything fraudulent by the way - just illustrating what can happen, I've been in this industry way too long ;) )
  • Golden_Lollipop
    Options
    I have a gold pocket watch and chain that I am contemplating selling, how can I tell how much gold is in it as there is also the glass, etc. Everything inside appears to be hallmarked.

very tricky - if you can post up a picture of the watch it would help as there are many different styles.

are you sure you want to sell it? if so first research the make and model online to see if its collectable, the last thing you want to do is sell the watch to someone like me who is going to break out the mechanism, glass and steel banding/pins and melt it into a bar.

If your sure you want to sell it as scrap then get the tools out - the case will be as per the hallmark, remove the mechanism and glass, they also sometimes have a brass insert inside to add weight and give it a good solid feel - its unlikely this item will be gold. on the inside of the case their will also sometimes be a steel band around the inside - this can be tricky to pull out but will weigh several grams so its worth doing to get a true estimate of the gold weight.

Alternatively take it to a jewellers, but be warned they will 'estimate' the weight - i'm not a huge fan of this as everyone likes to under-estimate slightly to cover themselves.
  • hopper0803
    Options
    I've been trying to research on the internet how I can find out which stone is in an old ring I have but have found nothing.

It is a large transparent red stone in a 9ct gold ring but I have no idea which stone it is.

How reliable can I expect a local jeweler to be at identifying gemstones? As I don't know if the ring will be valuable or not I don't want to pay £40+ for a valuation. If I take it in asking what it is (coming across someone who knows nothing!) with the possibility of selling it to them can I be sure they will be honest?

Thanks in advance.
  • emma71_2
    Options
    Hi all, I have some odd bits of broken sterling silver jewellery to sell as scrap but I'm not sure the best way to do it - there are loads of places advertising that they buy gold but do they do silver too? Any recommendations very gratefully received :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback