Top Cashback Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• Terry_D
    Terry_D Posts: 63 Forumite
    I too am having trouble with Egg Customer Services but for a different reason. A couple of weeks ago we tried to use it to pay £840 over the telephone for a short UK holiday break in a couple of weeks time. We had brokered a really good deal so needed to pay up front there and then. The payment was refused, we double checked the card details and tried again and it was refused again. Fortunately we have another CC and put the payment on there. The following morning I received an automatic voice message asking me to confirm this failed transaction and a couple more (not failed) ones made on the same day, which I did.

Later that day I checked the account on line to make sure there was sufficient credit available which there was, so I sent a secure message to them asking what had happened.

I got a reply saying that since I had now spoken to someone that was the end of the matter. I wrote again saying I hadn't spoken to anyone and would they please answer the question. They replied that I had answered a call from them on the matter and therefore the matter had been resolved. My next email pointed out that the message I had received only gave me the option of confirming or denying certain transactions and as it was not a "real" person calling me I had no chance to ask a question - and this is now my third attempt at getting an answer PLEASE!!

The reply came back that sometimes their anti fraud system kicks in when a fraudulent transaction is suspected and blocks the payment. I wrote back to ask how the dickens can a payment of such an amount to a reputable British holiday firm quoting all the card details including the 3-digit security number on the back be seen as fraudulent. I also pointed out that because I had to use another card I had lost £8.40 cash back and would they consider crediting this amount to my account.

Anyway, after more emails back and forth I'm not getting the credit (didn't really expect it but if you don't ask....) , I still haven't got a decent answer regarding the fraud thing, two requests for this to be logged as a formal complaint and for a manager to call me have been ignored and now they are just ignoring my emails!

No apologies from them when I pointed out that I've had better customer services from a chip shop. It might seem a minor thing to some (it obviously does to them) but now I've got the bit between the teeth and will write (a letter) to them - does anyone have the address to send it and a name of someone at the top?

Oh and by the way, when composing an email using their secure messaging service, if you take longer than about 10 minutes it bombs you out without saving anything and you start out all over again!
  • LongTermLurker
    LongTermLurker Posts: 1,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Although it can be annoying at the time, I think it's good that companies take measures to protect you from fraud. There are still way too many companies who take a not-my-problem attitude and an equally unbelievable number who are totally clueless about identity theft, who will happily repeat your card details in a loud voice across a bar or hotel foyer. Yes, you've lost the chance of £8.40 spread over the year, but you've also been protected against all the hassle associated with claiming back £840 via their fraud department, and they've saved themselves the possibility of having lost £840.

You've done the right thing, you own two credit cards - it's there as a spare, and you used it.

Complaints sometimes have to be made, and you have to be able to expect banks to listen to your complaints and respond accordingly, but if they're not responding to free emails, do you really need to raise your blood pressure by writing a paper letter to the same people? Accept that your "really good deal" cost £8.40 more than you thought it would, let it lie and enjoy your holiday knowing they tried to protect you against fraud.
    You've never seen me, but I've been here all along - watching and learning...:cool:
  • Hi

I recently got accepted for an AmEx Platinum that earns 5 % cashback on purchases within the first 3 months, the first 6 months are purchases are at 0% interest.

If I carried out a balance transfer after 6 months, I take it I would lose my 5% cash back?

Thanks in advance.
  • student89
    student89 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Anyone know what the easiest cash back would be to get. i.e. any idea of the 'easiest' credit scorer. i dont have a bad credit rating as im aware, but it isn't 'good' as i dont have that much history...although the history i do have is no missed payments on my 1 credit card, no missed payments on my one small loan etc
    thanks tom
  • student89
    student89 Posts: 25 Forumite
    sparkymoc wrote: »
    Hi

I recently got accepted for an AmEx Platinum that earns 5 % cashback on purchases within the first 3 months, the first 6 months are purchases are at 0% interest.

If I carried out a balance transfer after 6 months, I take it I would lose my 5% cash back?

Thanks in advance.

You wouldn't loose your cashback, but you would loose the benifits. Because they company has it set up that you'd pay off the cheap (or free) balance transfer debt 1st.
    See the guide this forum is attached to, towards the bottom.
  • American Express must be very happy. Martin's cash back credit card article and this forum consistently states the card give 5% cashback. It doesn't. Heres why . . .

You have to spend £3,000 in any year to receive cash back. This would consist of £2,000 at a rate of 5% (giving you the 5% cashback cap of £100 and assuming this spend is all in the first three months) and £1,000 at a lower rate of 1.25%. This is an average cashback rate of 3.75%.

Perhaps Martin should change his cash back cards article?

Source: American Express UK website - Platinum Card terms & conditions as at 22 August 2010.
  • Watch this one carefully.... suggest you AVOID....
    • I applied just before I went on holiday.
    • Was accepted, and the bill for £18 raised immediately
    • Bill sent to me while I was on holiday - and payment date is 14 days from issue - NOTE - with postal delays & weekends can be within 10 days of receipt.
    • So did not get bill until I returned from holiday.
    • I got two bills - the original and another telling me I had failed to pay and had been charged £12 late payment fee + interest - seems like a great scam to make money....
    • Had a firm but polite discussion with the (Indian) call center, and a further discussion with call center management (yes and they try to get you on an expensive 0870 number), and they did eventually refund the £12 + interest.
    • I THEN allowed them to activate the card (no this had not happened when the tried the payment scam).
    • I paid the £18, waited 3 days for my payment BACS payment to be credited (yes they DO NOT have same day banking facilities at their end) and then changed the PIN as required to my own.
    • Used the card, the system would not accept my new PIN and locked me out.
    • Called same Indian call center, who stated the card needed to be activated AGAIN.
    • Left for a few days then tried to use the card. PIN code still blocked.
    • Called call center (and they always try an 0870/0845 number) and this time they told me the will mail me a new PIN in a few days - as it is a bank holiday weekend.
    Well let's see what happens...

Suggest you also are aware that:
    • Cash back is ONLY paid in January.
    One more issue with these guys and card will be chopped up... BEWARE OF THIS PRODUCT
  • nzseries1
    nzseries1 Posts: 2,240 Forumite
    I like the way that if you hover your mouse over most of the credit cards in the article, the tooltip that comes up says "Plusnet". Well, it does for me anyway!
    You're spelling is effecting me so much. Im trying not to be phased by it but your all making me loose my mind on mass!! My head is loosing it's hair. I'm going to take myself off the electoral role like I should of done ages ago and move to the Caribean. I already brought my plane ticket, all be it a refundable 1.
  • Hi,

I already have a Capital One card which I use every month and pay the balance off in full (another high APR one) however since I do use it often I would really like the 1% cashback. Can anyone advise me as to whether I can take 2 cards with the same company or do I need to cancel my existing one before applying?

Thanks in advance,
    Emma
    2009 Wins so far: 6 month supply of special K, Super Glue, Pushing Dasies Season 2 DVD, Sonisphere Tickets, Gold iPod, Fourth Plinth Winner 8th Oct 6-7pm, £100 Tesco Vouchers, Star-Ship Troopers on Blu-Ray (no player yet!), another iPod Touch
    First win Friday 13th - who said it was unlucky?
  • Mr_K
    Mr_K Posts: 1,171 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    emmadragon wrote: »
    Hi,

I already have a Capital One card which I use every month and pay the balance off in full (another high APR one) however since I do use it often I would really like the 1% cashback. Can anyone advise me as to whether I can take 2 cards with the same company or do I need to cancel my existing one before applying?

Thanks in advance,
    Emma

Ask them is probably quickest. Would have thought its unlikely they'll let you have 2 cards. More likely they'd swap your card for the cashback one if they allow it. Be aware however there is now an £18 annual fee for the cashback card, unless you're lucky like me and got the card before they introduced the charge ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure