Top Cashback Cards Discussion Area

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 February 2010 at 2:49PM
    well I feel you're misleading people in to thinking it is not a good offer, when it clearly is
    I haven't say it's not a good offer, so be careful with your claims please.
    I have pointed out the pros and cons and said if people like it they should take it.
    using cashback as a generic term
    I disagree with that use of the word in that sense.
    CASH has a very specific meaning as opposed to rewards.
    The diffierence is crucial to some people.
    Cash can be spent anywhere or put in your bank account, there are no expiry dates on it, conditions for further spend etc.
    It may not be important to yourself or some others, but to some people it is, so it's misleading to call it cashback because it isn't.
    The Amex rewards card offers vouchers instead of cash
    Just fpr clarity I was referring to the platinum cashback card which does give you cash. I've had it transferred to my current account before and didn't have to spend on AMEX to access it.
    It says "whilst not strictly a cashback card" but doesn't get all funny about it like you.
    I'm glad they make it clear.
    I'm not sure why you think I'm getting "all funny" or what that means to be honest.
    I'm a lot happier with that decsription because they call it the Amex REWARDS cards which is pretty obvious, so they are not trying to mislead.
    I am honestly pointing out what I see to be the truth and doing soem moneysavers a service by telling the truth.
    If they still fancy it then I have no issue with that at all, providing they know the truth about it.
    Why am I "being funny" beacuse I want people to know the truth.
    Seems to me that your acting a bit strange if you don't understand that these sites are used to disuss these sorts of issues,.

As long as people know the truth and it's honestly out there (like it is with the AMEX rewards card) then I'm happy for people to have whatever card they like.
    They can spend all day on permium phone lines if they want as long as they KNOW.
    I don't have a problem with any specific card, just misleading information.

I have not actually said that it's not a good card, so you need to be careful with your claims.
    Personally I prefer cash because I know there is no chance of it expiring or me not be able to use it because of conditions etc.
    I have airmiles and nectar points that have remained unsed for long periods beacuse of the restrictions on them, so personally I prefer universally accepted cash, but I have no issues with other peoplea preferences.

BTW - Some big companies have gone out of business - like zavvi, Woolworths etc.so I dont' accept your poitn about protection although again it's an individual decision.
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ok guys - just call it a disagreement and end it - your wasting thousands of internet trees with your 'discussion'
  • williham
    williham Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    your wasting thousands of internet trees
    Haha never heard that before :)
  • I stopped using the Tesco Mastercard for the BT Visa card. It gives a penny in the pound off telephone bill. According to my figures this is the better deal. As far as I can remember there is a saving of about 6 quid off each quarterly bill.
    I know this will not suit everyone but for the time being it suits me. :T
  • lisyloo
    Ok guys - just call it a disagreement and end it - your wasting thousands of internet trees with your 'discussion'

Fine with me.
    Everyone is entitled to their own preference.
    I hope we're still allowed to discuss facts about cards here though??
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    I hope we're still allowed to discuss facts about cards here though??

I'm not sure, last time I asked a question I was accused of being a spammer :wink:

P.S. Just got a reply from paypal confirming that it's not cashback but reward points. Which may or not be a problem, depending on whether the points can be spent on anything you actually want (for me, they can't, so I'm not getting one).

P.P.S. Don't know what protection you get with paypal but the only time I've had a problem with a transaction (the goods never arrived and the supplier didn't answer my calls), paypal refunded the money less than an hour after I raised a support call with them.
  • lisyloo
    Don't know what protection you get with paypal but the only time I've had a problem with a transaction
    Was that an ebay transaction?

To be honest I'm finding is quite hard to get information about this (as you have) and that puts me off quite a bit.
    You appear to be covered by the paypal buyer protection program (subject to reams of ts&cs).
    I cannot find anything about section 75 protection and I've searched their reams of terms and conditions.

Some people have had very good experiences with paypal.
    I've had very ggod experiences personally when using my paypal account on ebay as a BUYER (and that's the operative word as paypal tend to side with buyers).

Sellers complain about it voiciferously.
    Also some people have had hassle not getting section 75 protection when using a credit card to fund paypal.

To be honest I'm not clear on it, but I can't see section 75 in their terms and conditions and it appears to be quite hard to find the information.

If anyone knows different please can you explain whether this is section 75 protection (like normal credit cards) or because you go via a paypal account, does this restrict you to the paypal buyer protection program??

I suspect it's the latter having read it, but I don't know for sure.

Personally I haev AMEX at 5% (more like 3% in reality but still good) and Egg at 1% in real cash.
  • lisyloo wrote: »
    Was that an ebay transaction?

No, a random internet site.

Regarding section 75, my assumption (based on ignorance) is that you're covered if paypal themselves go bust/nick your money/etc, but if the actual seller who you're buying from disappears then you're only covered by paypal protection.
  • lisyloo
    but if the actual seller who you're buying from disappears then you're only covered by paypal protection.

That would be my assumption too.
    Because you are paying from a paypal account and not a mastercard directly then I am assumming (like you) that you have the paypal buyer protection and not section 75 protection (and that ties in with my somewhat cursory inspection of the details).

Whilst my ebay/paypal experiences have been posistive, personally I would rather have statutory law to fall back on (and a free independent body in the ombusdman) rather than a companies own scheme where they can make their own decisions.
    I'm not saying they a bunch of crooks or anything like that, but that ultimately I'd feel better protected by statutory law rather than any company.

There are both good and bad anecdotes of paypal buyer protection as there are about credit card companies various implementations of section 75, however even if a company gives you bad service if you have the law on your side, you do have the option of pursuing a civil case. That doesn't sound good, but you do have the safety net of the law and the consumer credit act.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    lisyloo wrote: »
    To be honest I'm finding is quite hard to get information about this (as you have) and that puts me off quite a bit.
    You appear to be covered by the paypal buyer protection program (subject to reams of ts&cs).
    I cannot find anything about section 75 protection and I've searched their reams of terms and conditions.

To be honest I'm not clear on it, but I can't see section 75 in their terms and conditions and it appears to be quite hard to find the information.

If anyone knows different please can you explain whether this is section 75 protection (like normal credit cards) or because you go via a paypal account, does this restrict you to the paypal buyer protection program??

I suspect it's the latter having read it, but I don't know for sure.
    Toreador wrote: »

Regarding section 75, my assumption (based on ignorance) is that you're covered if paypal themselves go bust/nick your money/etc, but if the actual seller who you're buying from disappears then you're only covered by paypal protection.
    lisyloo wrote: »
    That would be my assumption too.
    Because you are paying from a paypal account and not a mastercard directly then I am assumming (like you) that you have the paypal buyer protection and not section 75 protection (and that ties in with my somewhat cursory inspection of the details).

Whilst my ebay/paypal experiences have been posistive, personally I would rather have statutory law to fall back on (and a free independent body in the ombusdman) rather than a companies own scheme where they can make their own decisions.
    I'm not saying they a bunch of crooks or anything like that, but that ultimately I'd feel better protected by statutory law rather than any company.

There are both good and bad anecdotes of paypal buyer protection as there are about credit card companies various implementations of section 75, however even if a company gives you bad service if you have the law on your side, you do have the option of pursuing a civil case. That doesn't sound good, but you do have the safety net of the law and the consumer credit act.

As I understand it, this is an ordinary Mastercard credit card (not a charge card, which is legally different) operated for PayPal by Santander.

If this is the case, which I think it is, S75 of the CCA will operate, as it does for all credit cards. I doubt they like it, but they can't prevent its operation. They're unlikely to put anything in the T&C, though, simply because it's covered by law but they probably don't want to draw attention to it, eBay being eBay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure