Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• Hi there I need help. I'm waiting to here back off step change but untill then I'm hoping to get help and advice here. Sorry about grammar. I'm in nearly 20 thousand pounds of debt. I'm on a dmp but only paying minimum of 5 pound each creditor. I've currently been signed off sick with depression. Is a dro a possiblity for me? But my main worry is i owe my company some money for a debt they helped me with. Where do i stand with that and getting a DRO. I need to start again and get my life back in control. Many thanks I'm advance x
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,448 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Hi there I need help. I'm waiting to here back off step change but untill then I'm hoping to get help and advice here. Sorry about grammar. I'm in nearly 20 thousand pounds of debt. I'm on a dmp but only paying minimum of 5 pound each creditor. I've currently been signed off sick with depression. Is a dro a possiblity for me? But my main worry is i owe my company some money for a debt they helped me with. Where do i stand with that and getting a DRO. I need to start again and get my life back in control. Many thanks I'm advance x

Provided you meet the Basic Criteria for a debt relief order then you qualify:

•Must not be a homeowner,

• Debts less than £20,000,

• Can have a car worth up to £1000,

• No other assets of more than £1000,

• Must have £50 or less left at month end, after all essential payments have been made (not inc debt repayments),

• Cannot have had a DRO in last 6 years

If you owe money to your employer then that would be a qualifying debt and must be listed. You would then be forbidden from repaying it and they would be forbidden from demanding payment. Would that cause a problem?
  • Thankyou for such a quixk reply . I mean it wouldn't be a very nice thing to do. It's difficult I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. For what reasons would a DRO get refused do you No? I just want to start again. X
  • fatbelly
    DRO applications don't get declined very often because they have to be done through an intermediary who will advise you not to proceed if you don't meet those basic criteria. If you do meet them, you get the DRO.
  • Hello

After months of putting my head under the sand ive finally got all the information together needed to start my DRO application, I sent off the paperwork application to StepChange a few days ago.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the current average waiting time for stepchange to process this? and to get to the stage of paying the £90 fee and it being sent off.

Are we talking a couple of weeks maybe longer?

Many thanks
  • fatbelly
    Heliotr wrote: »
    Hello

After months of putting my head under the sand ive finally got all the information together needed to start my DRO application, I sent off the paperwork application to StepChange a few days ago.

Just wondering if anyone has any idea of the current average waiting time for stepchange to process this? and to get to the stage of paying the £90 fee and it being sent off.

Are we talking a couple of weeks maybe longer?

Many thanks

I don't work for stepchange but they were saying 6-8 weeks last year. Are they getting the credit report, or you?
  • Hi thanks for the reply
    Wow 6-8 weeks was hoping it would be a little sooner than that, but i presume they are very busy with applications.

I have printed off my noodle credit report and see the it along with the application.
  • It took four months for my DRO from start to paying barcode. Although there was Christmas in the middle of that
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    My application was received 3 weeks and 2 days ago, and I have been told that it will be between 3 and 5 weeks before I hear anymore. It's the busy time of year. I'm going through Business Debtline, but I think they're all pretty busy at the moment.
  • Twubble
    Twubble Posts: 80 Forumite
    Twubble wrote: »
    My application was received 3 weeks and 2 days ago, and I have been told that it will be between 3 and 5 weeks before I hear anymore. It's the busy time of year. I'm going through Business Debtline, but I think they're all pretty busy at the moment.

UPDATE: I have just been informed that it will now take another 5 or 6 weeks before my paperwork and barcode are generated. :( Not happy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback