The Cutting Down / Giving Up Booze Thread (Part 14)

Comments

• Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    1/24 AFDs today
  • 1/20 for august

Finished July on 24/25
    Only went to 1 work night out and this helped. Had 1 glass on wine at home which wasn't very nice and the rest were out, but at least 1 day was just 1 glass. Haven't bought alcohol for the home in ages.
    Best friend was on hol and has been busy with family - this helped. And my main drinking partner at work has got a new job.
    August is a bit more challenging.

Thank you HB and Shaggy and everyone.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Green_Karen
    Green_Karen Posts: 367 Forumite
    I consider it better to report even if it's only to use this in future to see how bad I actually was!

Stuck on 3/8 AF days for July. Can I please have a target of 5 for August thanks Shaggy.
  • smiley_77
    smiley_77 Posts: 110 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Honey_Bear wrote: »

As to speaking to someone in the real world, it is always worth asking your GP what support is available around alcohol locally. Alternatively, I'm a fan of Soberistas and Belle at the blog Tired of Thinking about Drinking. I'm not sure what Soberistas offer but I know Belle, at some point of the 100 Day Challenge offers a phone call.

And I'm absolutely in agreement with you, CathyBird, about people around us feeling uncomfortable with behaviour changes when we plot a new course for ourselves. They will cope, people always do, but as a species we resist change, I think partly because the status quo feels 'safe' just because we know how it works. Or doesn't, but at least it feels safely familiar.

1/31 please, Shaggy.
    Thanks. Cathybird and Honey Bear. This puts it into perspective. Maybe some of my friends are too scared to let go or are using alcohol to hide something themselves. I will just have to keep remembering this.

I have looked into Bellas website which looks interesting. You do have to pay to recieve emails from her as part of the programme but that can carry on for as long as you like not just for the length of the paid programme. She has a waiting list so what she does must work for some people. Its good to get different peoples perspectives on it too so i think it will be really useful. Thanks :)

100 days without booze though! Seems a lot when I am tempted every day (brandy bottle is still on the side in the kitchen). On that note:

1/31Please for me Shaggy.
    Do I really need it? Probably not.:A
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,284 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 2/21 for me please.
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Declaring early on 2/14 for today please Shaggy
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Finished July on 24/25

I think that's a very good score PSL. 7 nights out in a month for a single person is hardly a life of debauchery! What matters is if you're dissatisfied because you would prefer to drink even less. :)

Baby steps is fine greenkaren especially if you're staying in control on the drinking occasions.:)
    sukeyboo wrote: »
    Declaring early on 2/14 for today please Shaggy

It's good to know we're in this together.:) For some unknown reason DH offered me a glass of wine last night. I refused.:D

2 AFDs please Shaggy.
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    1 last night in a restaurant and I'm declaring early on 2/18 for today please Shaggy Back to AF again on Monday.
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Haven't bought alcohol for the home in ages.
    Best friend was on hol and has been busy with family - this helped. And my main drinking partner at work has got a new job.
    August is a bit more challenging.

There will always be excuses to drink, but now you know you can go without it for longer than you would have believed a few months ago, you're well on the way to being in control, even if you don't think you're quite there yet. Not buying any to take home is a massive change in behaviour for anyone who regularly just added a bottle or two of wine to their supermarket shopping, or dropped in to the offie on the way home - hugely well done.
    smiley_77 wrote: »
    I have looked into Bellas website which looks interesting. You do have to pay to recieve emails from her as part of the programme but that can carry on for as long as you like not just for the length of the paid programme. She has a waiting list so what she does must work for some people. Its good to get different peoples perspectives on it too so i think it will be really useful. Thanks :)

100 days without booze though! Seems a lot when I am tempted every day (brandy bottle is still on the side in the kitchen).

Don't sign up for it unless you really, really want to achieve it, because having a go and failing isn't conducive to great outcomes in the short or long run. I signed up on Day 1 when I stopped and it was absolutely brilliant, but I'm puzzled about you saying she charges for the daily email. If you read this page you'll see that you don't have to pay - it's free. She charges for the Sober Jump Start which I'm sure is worth it, but I didn't pay anything - until I gave her a voluntary donation when I reached 100 Days. At the very least she'd saved me a fortune over that three months because I didn't buy any booze, so the least I could do was share some of that saved money with her. I could still have a daily email from her if I wanted to but I don't need them any more, so I don't Which reminds me, I need to send her a Three Year anniversary donation because without her I don't know if I could have done it.

2/31 please, Shaggy.
    Better is good enough.
  • shaggydoo
    shaggydoo Posts: 8,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    July 2017

Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif= 7 Days AF

avatar.normal?dateline=1408479257= 14 days AF

Smilies_Bananas_ChristmasDancing.gifdive.gif= 21 days AF

DancingGrape.gif= 28 days AF

fav3.gif= 31 days AF

flowerz.gif= Target Achieved

dancegirl2.gif= Target Beaten

Alcohol Free Days

Arkers 2
    /10
    Barny1979
    19/20Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    CathyBird 28/21
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gifflowerz.gifdancegirl2.gifDancingGrape.gif
    CuppaTea 16/18Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    Eltee 7/21Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    ElusiveLucy
    14/13Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257flowerz.gifdancegirl2.gif

FakePlasticTwee
    /25

GreenKaren 3/8

Honey Bear 31/31Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gifDancingGrape.giffav3.gifflowerz.gif

Macpep1 6/14

MaggieM 2/7
    Maman 15/10Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifflowerz.gifdancegirl2.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257

ManPants 4/TF
    NewstartDMP 13/16
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gif
    Poor Single Lady 24/25Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gif
    Pricey 22/20Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gifflowerz.gifdancegirl2.gif

Scatterbrain 3/15
    Shaggy 20/21
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257
    Smiley77 22/30
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dive.gif
    SukeyBoo
    16/12Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifflowerz.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257dancegirl2.gif
    WBF 18/18
    Rim_Shot_emoticon.gifavatar.normal?dateline=1408479257flowerz.gif

WJN222 1/10

Everyone Welcome! It's never too late to join....

Please highlight your AFDs in Red

Don't hesitate to let me know if I've made a mistake!
    What do we do when we fall? We get up, dust ourselves off and start walking in the right direction again. Perhaps when we fall, it is easy to forget there are people along the way who help us stand and walk with us as we get back on track.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure