Job seekers allowance back pay

Options
Can anyone help

i recently left full time employment but thought i couldn't claim job seekers allowance for a long period of time.
A friend told me otherwise, so i put in a claim for back dated allowance. i have just received a letter saying that my excuse for not claiming earlier is not accepted and they wont back pay.

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Rodders69 wrote: »
    Can anyone help

i recently left full time employment but thought i couldn't claim job seekers allowance for a long period of time.
    A friend told me otherwise, so i put in a claim for back dated allowance. i have just received a letter saying that my excuse for not claiming earlier is not accepted and they wont back pay.

The most they ever back date is 3 months on benefits and then it has to be sort of exceptional circumstances. I would say DWP would say ignorance in other words not knowing you could claim is not a good enough reason.

My husband had IB back dated by 3 months. But he was in hospital for 3 and half months after a stroke. Claiming benefits as you can imagine was not top of my list of things to do.

So you really don't stand much of a chance.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    unless you can prove the benefits agencies mis-advised you!

My DH was made redundant in 2000, and they told him he couldn't get anything. In early 2002 we discovered he should have had contributions based JSA so he put in a claim/appeal. They paid him the full 26 weeks worth in one payment, along with interest on it -- though it did take about 6 months to go through the process.
    Cheryl
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,824 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    cw18 wrote: »
    unless you can prove the benefits agencies mis-advised you!

My DH was made redundant in 2000, and they told him he couldn't get anything. In early 2002 we discovered he should have had contributions based JSA so he put in a claim/appeal. They paid him the full 26 weeks worth in one payment, along with interest on it -- though it did take about 6 months to go through the process.

I took it to be that the OP had not even looked in to the situation as they say "but thought i couldn't claim job seekers allowance for a long period of time."

Not that he has spoken to the Job centre and the computer had say no.

But you are right if you miss informed by the benefit agencies then you have a right to appeal.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • cw18
    Options
    TBH, I read it the same way -- but still thought the appeal process worth mentioning just in case :)
    Cheryl
  • Rodders69
    Options
    because i left work on a compromise agreement i thought i would'nt get anything for 26 weeks, as per their website, do you think i might have a claim
  • cw18
    Options
    no idea what a compromise agreement is, so can't ever hazard a guess -- sorry
    Cheryl
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rodders, depends on amount and terms of agreement, They wont backdate, but I'd apply anyway - even if you get no JSA, you want your NI stamp paid, so do still go along asap!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Rodders69
    Options
    Thanks Emmzi

agreement was for 6000 +, could they then say im not eligible for any benefits for a period of time. they have already agreed to pay ni and that im eligible for jsa but not back dated
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Rodders69 wrote: »
    because i left work on a compromise agreement i thought i would'nt get anything for 26 weeks, as per their website, do you think i might have a claim

I do not know if there would be sanction or not (between 2 and 26 weeks) but it is worth applying as you will be paid until a decision maker looks at your case. If there is a sanction you can appeal against this to an indepenedent tribunal.
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if they have said you are elegible for contribution bad jsa then presumably they are not imposing a sanction?

confused, you can't be eligible AND sanctioned!
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure