Sodexo filmology data breach

Comments

• -chris-
    -chris- Posts: 373 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You can't claim compensation for distress or inconvenience unfortunately.

Compensation is claimed to put the victim back in the same financial state as before the incident.
    In this case you have suffered no financial loss so no compensation can be claimed.

You are best on the consumer rights board regarding this as it is not a tech question

I wouldn't be so sure: http://www.5rb.com/case/vidal-hall-ors-v-google-inc/
  • -chris-
    AndyPix wrote: »
    You can't claim compensation for distress or inconvenience unfortunately.

Compensation is claimed to put the victim back in the same financial state as before the incident.
    In this case you have suffered no financial loss so no compensation can be claimed.

You are best on the consumer rights board regarding this as it is not a tech question

Do you know who I can contact to move my thread to the correct section?
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    -/chris-/ wrote: »
    Are you in the lititgation capital of the world i.e. the USofA, or or do you live in the libel capital i.e. UK.
    No loss to you, either financial or imaginary, move on, live with it, thank your bank and enjoy buying on-line. Of course that is not advice since I am not qualified nor allowed to give any, just my opinion. Do please come back and advise us of your success pursuing this matter, good luck.:cool:
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • pmartin86
    pmartin86 Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    And the award for the most pointless post of the year goes to......pmartin86 :T

Coming from the chap posting about "distress" when hes sugffered no personal loss, my post was a nudge to get you to relaise theres more to life than worrying about things that don't matter, and perhaps you should broaden your perspective a bit instead of clinging onto tiny insignificant events. CVlearly, it was wasted as your so absorbed in your own little life instead of thinking about it, or even ignoreing it, you chose to mock it. Good luck with your life, i hope you avoid anything significant happening to you, as you are CLEARLY not equipped to deal with it.
  • -chris-
    My post was simply asking for advice, not a lecture from somebody like you! Bad things happen in the World all the time and going by your logic, nobody would complain about anything ever again.

This was a distressing experience as I thought I had a large amount of money taken from my account! I wasn’t over exaggerating, I was genuinely worried until I managed to get in touch with my bank!

So go find somebody else’s post to troll!
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    My post was simply asking for advice, not a lecture from somebody like you! Bad things happen in the World all the time and going by your logic, nobody would complain about anything ever again.

This was a distressing experience as I thought I had a large amount of money taken from my account! I wasn’t over exaggerating, I was genuinely worried until I managed to get in touch with my bank!

So go find somebody else’s post to troll!
    OK so in your original
    Hi All

I have been a victim of attempted fraud on my bank account through my employers cinema discount scheme. I had found out there had been attempted fraud on my bank account from my bank and it was not until 3 weeks later that I found out the data breach involved use of the Filmology website. There were 3 attempts at fraud on my account which my bank successfully blocked so although there was no financial loss to me, it has involved a lot of distress, inconvenience and having to obtain a new bank card.
    After speaking to Filmology to ask exactly what had happened, I was informed that my bank details were stolen from the payment page and that the incident has been reported to the ICO. The hack on the payment page was carried out over 2 months and involved many accounts.
    Although I have not suffered financial loss, I strongly feel that compensation should be paid for the distress caused. I contacted the chief executive of Sodexo by email and have not heard anything back from him which I think is a disgusting attitude to take from a serious data breach.
    So has anybody been successful in claiming compensation in these circumstances? Or will I need to take this to a small claims court?
    Three weeks of distress , or three weeks of coming up with a plan. Sorry but I don't buy the "genuinely worried" comment, when did you check your bank account to see if there was fraud causing a "large amount of money taken from my account!"
    Accusing someone of being a troll doesn't help , but hey I am a troll and pmartin doesn't even come close , I am sorry you feel distressed and worried but this is not a technical issue, you would have been better served in the Praise and Vent section , or Consumer Rights of this forum.
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • -chris-
    I was out walking in a rural area at the time to which I received a text from my bank advising of an attempted transaction for £300 and to call xxx number ASAP. I didn’t know what to think, was it a genuine message or was it real? I couldn’t get in contact until I was back home so I could research the number to make sure I wasn’t falling into a scam. So yes it was distressing until I managed to get home to look into it further. I was also worried about my other personal information such as name, address passwords etc. This was the first time anything like this happened to me as I usually consider myself to be fairly security conscious.

I appreciate how some people think this might be melodramatic but I was genuinely concerned.

Which is why I politely asked who can I contact to get the thread moved to the correct section.
  • -chris-
    Just found the contact, I've asked Nile to move my thread to the consumer rights section
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘Techie Stuff’ board to the ‘Consumer Rights’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Uxb wrote: »

No, they weren't. Not one of the examples you linked were court awarded compensations for inconvenience.
    After initially offering him a much lower sum, Sky agreed to pay him £1,500 days before he was due to bring his case to court.

The above case there had also apparently (according to that article) been damage done to his credit history that could not be repaired and he was failing credit checks due to the incorrect information.
    No one turned up at Northampton County Court at the hearing in January 2014 to represent Npower so the case was granted in Mr Payling!!!8217;s favour

So in this one they didn't even consider the merits of the claim, it was a default win because the other side didn't contest it.
    Mr Payling, a freelance photographer, was about to take the energy company to the County Court following claims they miscalculated his bills, sent debt collectors to his home for money he didn't owe and sent his mother a letter asking her to sign up with them !!!8211; after she had died

So to recap, not one of the examples you have provided were heard at court. One was a default win and the other 2 were paid as "goodwill gestures" (according to the companies).

Plus one of the articles you linked even has this excerpt:
    Joanne Lezemore from Which? Legal Services, the watchdog, said: "It can be very hard to claim any costs for your own time from any company and the courts are very reluctant to order such costs, and do not award costs for inconvenience suffered.

Distress and inconvenience can only be claimed in certain types of contract and even when the courts deem it appropriate to award them, the sum awarded is trivial in nature compared to the distress or inconvenience suffered.

For example in Watts v Morrow, a surveyors error meant they were unable to live in the home they had purchased until repairs had been carried out (that the survey failed to highlight). That was 2 years of being unable to live in their home, and having to travel at weekends from london to dorset to oversee building works. They also attributed the stress as a contributing factor to the breakdown of the marriage. For the "distress and inconvenience" element, they were awarded just £750 - about £1 a day.

People think talking up the distress/inconvenience gives them a more substantial complaint - it doesn't.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure