Showing Documents

Options

Comments

• Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    What is this thing called a "Police Station" to which you refer?

I challenge you to find one that is open round here. (If you succeed in that task, then you can find a me a "Bank" as well)

We used to have loads, and loads of Policemen (and women too) , haven't seen a Policeman out and about for years.

Where's round here?
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was pulled over today for a routine check in my van

I thought police had to have a reason to pull you over? Not just routine.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2017 at 2:23PM
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »

Indeed they do, one of the reasons is that you are driving a motor vehicle on a road.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/52/part/VII/crossheading/powers-of-constables-and-other-authorised-persons/enacted
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    No.
    The police have the right to stop anyone driving a motor vehicle on a road in the UK and ask for proof of their name and address and MOT and insurance for the vehicle concerned.
  • onomatopoeia99
    Options
    It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop.
    To which there is a statutory defence that they were produced at a nominated police station within seven days.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • HogMan
    HogMan Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's illegal here too, he's comitted the offence of failing to produce the document on demand at the time of the stop
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    That is not correct.
    In the UK can be asked to show your documents but if you do not have them you will be given a HORT1.
    The HORT1 document (aka 7 day producer) requires you to produce your documents within 7 days at a police station of your choice. Failure to produce after that time is an offence.
  • Warwick_Hunt
    Options
    HogMan wrote: »
    That is not correct.
    In the UK can be asked to show your documents but if you do not have them you will be given a HORT1.
    The HORT1 document (aka 7 day producer) requires you to produce your documents within 7 days at a police station of your choice. Failure to produce after that time is an offence.

No, it's an offence to fail to produce them on demand.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,213 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, it's an offence to fail to produce them on demand.

Yes, but as onomatopoeia99 has already pointed out there is a statutory defence if you produce them within seven days as specified in section 164(8) of the Road Traffic Act 1988.
  • SouthLondonUser
    Options
    As others have said, can’t the police check insurance and MOT electronically? I have just done my MOT and the guy confirmed they send the details electronically; he couldn’t really say if they send it to the DVLA or the police, but they definitely send something electronically.

How about driving licences? If you don’t have yours with you, can the police access the DVLA’s database, pull out the photo on John Smith’s licence, verify it’s him, etc? Or are they not this technologically advanced?
  • Nodding_Donkey
    Options
    If a producer was issued rather than checks being done on the computer then maybe there was an IT problem at the time.

Or you failed the attitude test.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport