Solar ... In the news

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    1961Nick wrote: »
    are we going to carry this on ad-infinitum until the rest of the forum loses the will to live?:laugh:
    Most of us have !
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    IRRC, in recent years the RaR companies received a lower rate of FITs income - because of the number of installs they have.

If a house-owner were to subsequently make an outright purchase of the panels from the RaR company would the FITs remain at the lower level or be raised to the 'single install' level? And if it is uprated, at what rate would it be - the current single install rate or the single install rate paid at the original date of installation including the inflationary increases?

If the rate is kept at the low level, the incentive to make the purchase would be lower.

Dave F

Hiya Dave. Good question.

Yes, the FiT rate for anyone that has 25 or more installations is 10% less. Shown as 'middle rate' on the FiT tables, so today for a 0-4kWp install instead of 13.88p it would be 12.49p.

The idea being that install costs are less, so the FiT should be less. [There used to be a 10% lower rate for new builds (compared to retro-fit) but that was dropped a few years back.]

I'm not sure where to look for the answer, so can only guess, but firstly I can't imagine that a current rate would apply, it would have to be a rate that matches the commissioning/registration date. And I'd guess that the FiT rate wouldn't/couldn't be revised once the contract has been agreed.

Also, logically, if the install cost was lower, then the householder should be paying less for the install when buying it off the RaR, but does 'logic' apply here? Would they value it against some average cost. Also would that value be lost in the calculations, since the actual buy out price will probably include a large amount of lost income (FiT payments) to the RaR.

Hmmm, that's got me pondering.

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2015 at 3:22PM
    I'm going to give you something here......

The 50-100% was too much (unless another row of panels is possible which is unlikely). The figure is more like 25-50% & only achievable if another column is possible (quite likely from what I've observed).

The bungalow I looked at was a 38% gain using 2014 kit rather than 2010 (?). Obviously by using the hybrid panels you mentioned the figure could be significantly higher. You mentioned a figure of 70% premium for this technology. Is that 70% more for the full install or 70% more for the panels. Panels appear to be just over 50% of the cost of a typical £4K- £5K 4kW array. (It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested)

The system on that bungalow was 'inefficient' for the occupier primarily because the FIT payment was going to a third party for the next 15 years. It would have been an expensive installation (right at the beginning of FIT) so the buyout (if possible) would probably be prohibitively expensive. I liken buying a property with a RaR to buying a property with a sitting tenant who's paying rent to somebody else. In my mind the value of that property was reduced because of that system. With RaR, there is also the possibility that mortgage & conveyance costs could increase because of a more limited choice in the first case & added paperwork in the second instance. Things are getting easier on that front though as pv installations become more mainstream (I asked a solicitor friend about that in case I moved house & wanted to keep the FIT).

Anyway, is there any chance of a :beer: or are we going to carry this on ad-infinitum until the rest of the forum loses the will to live?:laugh:
    Hi

In order ...

... "38% gain using 2014 kit rather than 2010 (?). " ... is that not a 38% gain made possible by using 2014 panels which are only as efficient as panels available in 2010 that the RaR installer chose not to install, combined with utilising more roof space.

..."Is that 70% more for the full install or 70% more for the panels. " ... depends on the installer and your own negotiating skills. The figure given was for panels as per the example models, but it seems that installers tend to expect premium margins if using premium panels ...

..." was 'inefficient' for the occupier primarily because the FIT payment was going to a third party for the next 15 years" ... I disagree, in terms of getting something for nothing, for the homeowner it was likely the most efficient return on investment possible ... no outlay and a monetary saving - and this is the case whatever the efficiency of the panels or effective use of the available roof area, the ROI only becoming questionable if it impacts negatively on the value of the property should it be sold. I agree that the money goes to a third-party, but consideration must be made to the original decision to go for a RaR system, which in many cases involved the lack of ready capital. On these boards we've had representatives of RaR scheme operators defending what many would regard as outrageous claims on energy savings etc and even had people claiming that installing a RaR system has increased their property value by something like 10-20%, or more .... a further point to make (again) is that early adopters have a 25 year FiT contract, not 20, so even the earliest installations currently have over 20years to run, not 15 ...

..."(I asked a solicitor friend about that in case I moved house & wanted to keep the FIT)" ... In that case, if you still owned the property you'd be entitled to keep the FiT, however, if you build a portfolio of properties with pv above the DECC multi-installation threshold, the tariff for each installation should reduce. Importantly, for the very reason you raised regarding 3rd party payments, you must accept that keeping the FiT is likely to result in a reduction in your own property value ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I do get your point about getting something for nothing but I think it's only relevant if the buyer doesn't have the capital to fund the outright purchase a new system. If they do have that capital, they're going to miss out on 20 years of FIT. The number of people with the capital to finance a system has obviously increased as the price has fallen.

Some of those that jumped in at the beginning of RaR must surely be regretting it now that 4kW systems are more affordable. That's regardless of whether they're selling the property or not.
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Is that 70% more for the full install or 70% more for the panels. Panels appear to be just over 50% of the cost of a typical £4K- £5K 4kW array. (It's not a trick question, I'm genuinely interested):

Would have to be for the panels on their own. Cheapest advertised price I've seen for high efficiency panels fitted is £6400 for 4 kW of BenQ 330 W panels. Cheapest 4 kW systems seem to be just under £5000 these days. Say £4900, making the BenQ about 30% more fitted. Rough figures of course, but should give an idea.

Ed
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    This thread used to be good for the latest news.

Any chance we can strip this conversation out and move it to its own topic?
  • ed110220
    ed110220 Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    lstar337 wrote: »
    This thread used to be good for the latest news.

Any chance we can strip this conversation out and move it to its own topic?

I think it's probably died a natural death by now.

Here's a news story reporting that investment in clean energy worldwide was up 16% last year on 2013, with solar accounting for more than half:-

http://www.ceres.org/issues/clean-trillion/realizing-the-clean-trillion-progress-and-challenges/2014-highlights-clean-energy-up-16-green-bonds-u.s.-china-climate-change-deal
    Solar install June 2022, Bath
    4.8 kW array, Growatt SPH5000 inverter, 2x Growatt ML33RTA batteries.
    SSW roof. ~22° pitch, BISF house. 12 x 400W Hyundai panels
  • Martyn1981
    PV installs in the 0-10kWp range for qtr 4 2014 exceeded the 100MWp degression point.

So, the FiT rates will be degressed by 3.5% on the 1/4/15.

For upto 4kWp installs expect the new rate to be ~13.39p/kWh.

Rising PV deployment triggers April feed-in tariff degressions

Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Martyn1981
    So, the UK joined the 1GWp in a year club in 2013, and the 2GWp in a year club last year.

Some (optimistic) estimates are that we may make it to 3 this year, regardless, the amount of PV in the UK is growing nicely, though the commercial sector is still dragging it's heels.

UK almost doubles PV capacity in 12 months
    "We are now well underway to a million solar installations of all shapes and sizes across the country," added Barwell. "This is a world-class achievement and something the coalition government can be proud of."

Barwell was keen to stress just how much public support solar energy has in the U.K., stating that the industry could be cost-competitive with gas by 2020 also support 50,000 jobs by 2030 if given the right support from government.

Mart.

• Martyn1981
    The first part of this news summary is interesting:

The pv magazine weekly news digest
    And the increasingly unseemly squabbling between the main political parties ahead of May's general election will do little to affect the demand for small-scale solar, according to analyst IHS, which predicts a steady rooftop installation rate of around 40 MW a month for 'the next year or two.'

If this turns out to be true, then that's ~120MWp per qtr, breaching the 100MWp/qtr FiT banding degression point. So we could see 3.5% degressions each qtr for 4 to 8 qtr's.

Not really a problem, the currently FAT FiT can take it, and even at 10p/kWh or less should still remain very attractive as prices have fallen so much recently. But I thought it worth a note ...... as far as predictions go.

Mart.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback