The dreaded D word

Options

Comments

• Dorisd
    Dorisd Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Keep your chin up and book the mot, it is hard I know but keep the end goal in sight. Cheering you on from the sidelines
    🎊Debt Free 8 Jan 2022[/center]🎉
    Language Learners Chat- Portuguese
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    Thank you for the support, down to the last lonely pound in the bank account (I have food and petrol money set aside) it's going to be a loooong 11 days till pay day
    Barclaycard: £2970 Tesco: £655 MBNA £4830 Virgin: £6110
    Total Credit Card debt: £14,565 Car Loan: £12,055 :eek:
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 559 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It is always so hard when you're in this limbo land and motivation is low.

I tend to have a scout round at home to see if there is anything I can make/change around/de-clutter/weed when i am in these moments - diverting my attention seems to help me pass the time away. I think it is a way of identifying what my emotional triggers are for spending - taking a step back and slowing right down definitely helps me get things in perspective and allows me to rest so I am ready for the continued marathon I am on!

You are doing really well and you should be proud of how far you've come.

((hugs))

WM x
  • natsplatnat
    natsplatnat Posts: 3,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I second WM... in days of either not having the money to spend, or just not wanting to spend I kinda challenge myself (and therefore OH & DSS) to see what we can achieve without spending. Sometimes we've fallen upon tickets to a free day out, or its been as simple as we can't go out, lets clear out.... the cupboard under the stairs, airing cupboard, loft etc, or at this time of year the shed / clean the BBQ etc. Even managed to find some spare paint in a cupboard once, so ended up sprucing up the bathroom... all for no expenditure.
    You can do this! It is not forever x
    start = Wed 19th Nov 2008 £21,225
    end = Mon 28th Sept 2015 DEBT FREE!
    I love a good plan - it may not work.... but I love a good plan!
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    Just over a week to go till payday but this week has been the longest one ever, I'll be happy just to make it to Saturday. The car is almost dead so I need to get a new one (not brand new - just new to me) so I need to do some serious number crunching as anything I borrow will decrease the amount we can borrow on a new mortgage if we ever sell our house but I need something decent that'll get me to work and back (60 miles a day) and won't need anything doing to it for a few years. Also my dogs op seems to go well but he been bleeding a bit today so as soon as I get home I need to get him to his vets appointment so they can check him over.

My sleep gage is very low Sunday night and Tuesday night I got a couple of hours and I'm really feeling it today and a busy weekend ahead seeing friends and hopefully I'll get chance to have a look at some cars - even if it's just to narrow down what it is I want and potentially what that will cost.

On the good side I'm going to a conference in London next week so work will put me up in a hotel and feed me for a couple of days, which will save me spending any of my own money (not that there's much to spend)
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    It was finally payday on Friday so it felt good to make my payments and top up my savings accounts. I've booked my MOT for Saturday and then I can look at getting a new car in a couple of weeks, just need to decide what I want and sort out the finance.

We've taken the house off the market so that's one less thing to worry about for now but we're putting a 2 year plan in place to save up some cash pay down the mortgage and then look to move. The credit cards should be paid off by then as well and as much of the car loan as I can pay off. (Going to get a loan through Zopa the rates are really good and you can overpay and pay off early with penalty)

My dog is doing better he has tablets to take to help shrink what's left of the tumour and he seems almost like his old self, which is great to see. I need to sort out his booster's as he's a couple of months over due on these, the vet said he'll be fine for now but I'll be happy when I know he's fully vaccinated for another year.

As we've decided to stop where we are we have decided to do a couple of home improvement jobs that should make the house more saleable and also benefit us while we are still there so I spent my lunch break calling up companies to arrange quotes for fences, new driveway and step rebuilding and also for some huge trees cutting down (you can see them from the other side of the valley!). Doing these sorts of things really gets me stress, there is so much to organise and usually something goes wrong but I think it'll be worth it in the end
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on payments & savings :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    So I've just realised that I have £1400 saved up in my holiday/annual bills/emergency which is great this will mostly all disappear over the next couple of months but it's nice to have some money put away and if I could pay it off my credit cards I would bring my balance down to £10,580 which seems a huge reduction from what it is currently, I'm going to challenge myself to get it to this by the end of September
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So I've just realised that I have £1400 saved up in my holiday/annual bills/emergency which is great this will mostly all disappear over the next couple of months but it's nice to have some money put away and if I could pay it off my credit cards I would bring my balance down to £10,580 which seems a huge reduction from what it is currently, I'm going to challenge myself to get it to this by the end of September

Hey I'm intrigued as to how you keep your holiday/annual/bills/emergency as one account? thinking of doing the same
  • snorfing_along
    Options
    Sweetcake wrote: »
    Hey I'm intrigued as to how you keep your holiday/annual/bills/emergency as one account? thinking of doing the same

I actually have 2 savings accounts as I was getting confused with how much was allocated for each in 1 account, so I set up a separate one for holiday saving and the annual/bills/emergency is in 1. I worked out how much I needed for each and started putting money in when I got paid a couple of months ago. It'll go up and down over the next couple of months as I take out some money for my home and car insurance and also my MOT (on Saturday :eek: ) but then I know that the money in there is too be spent on important things and the money in the holiday account is to be saved until the holiday needs to be paid for and then I'll start to save it back up again. But I do have it noted in my diary how much is allocated to each thing in the account

It does get a bit confusing through because I do have some holiday money in the bills account lol (for a different holiday and I'll put money into another joint savings account when I get paid for spending money). I actually thing it's better to have them separate and give them different names so you know what each is allocated for but it's nice to think if it as 1 large amount as for me it helps to keep me focused when I can see things happening.

I also move my petrol money into a separate account for the month so I don't spend it with my spending money.

I have no idea if the above even makes sense:rotfl:. I've had a long morning already with a 2 hour drive to work this morning due to a diversion and my brain isn't firing on all cylinders, much like my car
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family