We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• choille wrote: »
    I do think the cuckoo numbers were really devastated a few years back - stormy weather and killed many off whilst migrating - I heard.

The neighbour, poor thing is very lonely and I've been every day apart from two since her hubby passed away a couple of months ago. It is difficult and I wish there was more who would pop in. It would make it a bit easier for us - sounds selfish I know.

Boring catch up with paperwork morning and then down the croft with puppy face who was agitated. I have a hind in - pain as they do bark the trees.

I really could do with an atvc type of tractor/quad thing - on another note.

When I was out in the fields doing conservation work last summer, the (very aged) farmer said that quads were awful because of their habit of flipping over once one wheel dips into a rabbit hole - something he'd had experience of (rather than just TV and tanked up Rock Stars). No objection to a UTV though - people from the different organisations I worked with all said pretty much the same. This old boy bought a side by side specifically so the Last Sheepdog could still feel like she was working with him.

I've only ever heard a cuckoo once in my life - I was 9 and at Brownie Guide camp in Deepest Kent. It would be great to hear one again.

Just realised it's a Bank Holiday weekend coming up. Why didn't [STRIKE]we [/STRIKE] he sort out a short break? Twit. I've become one of those Education Types who leg it at every available opportunity.

Never mind, best get the shopping order done for delivery tomorrow. And get the compost order in, as for some reason, the Met Office seem to think it might actually stop tipping down for five minutes for the first time all week.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good for you with the gate sales Dave - you are hard working. That's rotten about the person not paying - they may come back but it does sicken you when it happens.

Neighbour is just lonely and it's sad for her. I pop in but find it hard to come away.

Jo Jo - Quads are unstable and it is steep here. I just find things hard to heave about and want a bit of a solution to ease the dragging of stuff up hills and down. Course I want that for free or cheap as chips.

The cuckoo in the past was a great pain here as there were so many of them and it doesn't really get dark in the Summer at all so they'd be blubbery cuck cuckooing all night. There are numbers are drastically down.
    I thought that they were everywhere in the UK but obviously not.
    I was down South before I saw my first blue jay and that I thought was a stunning bird - is a stunning bird.

Rained heavy here later on and cold again with hail for goodness sake. Glad I didn't move a little tree as it would suffer. I need to shift an acer - but will get it done sometime.
  • choille wrote: »
    Good for you with the gate sales Dave - you are hard working. That's rotten about the person not paying - they may come back but it does sicken you when it happens.

Neighbour is just lonely and it's sad for her. I pop in but find it hard to come away.

Jo Jo - Quads are unstable and it is steep here. I just find things hard to heave about and want a bit of a solution to ease the dragging of stuff up hills and down. Course I want that for free or cheap as chips.

The cuckoo in the past was a great pain here as there were so many of them and it doesn't really get dark in the Summer at all so they'd be blubbery cuck cuckooing all night. There are numbers are drastically down.
    I thought that they were everywhere in the UK but obviously not.
    I was down South before I saw my first blue jay and that I thought was a stunning bird - is a stunning bird.

Rained heavy here later on and cold again with hail for goodness sake. Glad I didn't move a little tree as it would suffer. I need to shift an acer - but will get it done sometime.

I think that was the argument for a Gator or suchlike - being less likely to flip over, rather than bounce about. I was only just passing my brushcutter/stumpcutter and polesaw training at the time (spotted a widowmaker oak branch at first glance across a large ridge (as proven by the way it dropped like a tombstone before I was even halfway through it), so was happily listening and absorbing the wealth of knowledge they were chucking at me. I think I got told so much because I'd spotted/recognised the rear end of a 1930s Massey Harris at the back of the shed from my vantage point of underneath seed harvester as I was clearing the brushes of crud from the previous season's use (and accidentally said the name in a West Country style, rather than my usual London-with-a-smidge-of-education - thanks, OH).

We get Jays round here - they are rather attractive - but then again, we also have ring necked parakeets all over the place, too. They're the brightest green imaginable - but completely disappear the moment they land on a tree in leaf. Even today at work, as I was [STRIKE]gazing aimlessly[/STRIKE] deep in contemplation, I had a crow on the bench outside looking to see if I had a sandwich crust to chuck out to him, followed shortly after by a tired looking Magpie (and a constant flow of grey squirrels - the fox only visits just after lunch or at 4.15pm when the kids have left). I don't proffer food to the shy-te-hawks; the kids do that enough by chucking their leftover food onto the ground rather than one of the 20 bins in a quarter acre space.

I've just managed to spend two hundred quid on not very much. The majority of the delivery tomorrow night is two massive bags of compost, cat food, makeup, hairdye and sunblock (I need a bit of a spruce up), some meat, fish and veg I can't get round the corner, various soft drinks where the same applies, some Lady Grey teabags for work because I'm bouncing off the walls with too much coffee...oh. And some gin. :whistle: It was reduced by 17.6% and I had already ordered some elderflower tonic, rose lemonade and citrus fruits...

I'm just hoping that the next couple of days aren't as wet as the others have been - it was coming down in lumps today.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • choille
    I will google the Gator - which I haven't heard of. I would love to see a Parakeet but I don't think they'll come up here unless things heat up a bit.

Very overcast and gloomy here but we are off over East again for work stuff. I will get the compost and shelving stuff for polyhouse today - Yes, JoJo money just flies out the purse. It doesn't get chance to settle in the wallet for long these days.
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    hiya peeps.

well its been fab weather here since Tuesday afternoon, fingers crossed it lasts !
    cancelled the sheep shear the other week due to the weather [plus a vehicle would not have made it up and down the field] but they are booked in for next Wednesday. its a really old boy that does it... bit like the should have gone to speccy saves at times but hes good with them. old granma sheep is still going strong but has a mahoosive coat on her and she will no doubt be glad to get rid.

had the farrier AGAIN yesterday ... I do it in relays 5 at a time every 6 weeks.
    then I put the 2 cobs in with tilly and the foal. they have to start to intergrate. they took no notice of foal much to foals diva'ish tendencies.

ive had my drive all re gravelled ! I had it digger scraped off first so any weeds are hopefully GONE !! it looks very smart....... for now !

im mowing my big lawn twice a week now ! it used to be 40% moss but with this new mower chomping it fine and leaving it, it seems to have cleared completely. no moss at all ?
    I do recommend this mower, not cheap but certainly hacks through everything !

right im off to do some planting then I will be reposing in a deep bubbly barfv ....

have a good weekend peeps x
  • choille
    You're busy bee Alfie - Weather here incredibly changey - started raining now & fierce wind. Chilling at times. I also find that who you get doing your shearing is really important - I had someone once & they really stressed them - they were too rough. The guy that now comes is so good and calm - we work it together but won't be for ages yet as there's no rise on them.

Been down Gairloch for work stuff and to pick up big trailer of a pal. Putting some stuff in Auction that is a bit surplus. have got someone to come to help load as one of the items is a oak sideboard and I can't do it on my own. OH's ankles are really bad just now.
    Had a great run on the beach down there with someone who had a load of dogs and it was good to see mine and their's having a great time running in and out of the sea.

Hairy cat brought in a weasel and is very pleased with himself. I am quite amazed - that's the first he's caught and brought in.
    Trying to clear up some really nagging paperwork stuff that has been neglected and is getting that is just must be faced before it gets critical.
    Have a lovely weekend everyone. Don't go overdoing it in the garden. I'm not.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 May 2018 at 8:02PM
    What's the mower, alfie? I'm very chuffed with my 1980s/90s Honda, which will bag anything a mower can bag, but sometimes I'd like to just mulch. Seriously thinking about getting my big American twin deck mower going again, as it's a mulcher, but last time it snapped a belt inside an hour :mad:....and at £70 a throw.....:eek:

No time to turn around here! I'm trying to produce plants to meet the demand we're slowly building-up, but with the late spring and the Eastern Beast it's quite a job. Hopefully, by the other end of the Bank Holiday the nursery stuff will be more organised. :o

Yesterday, I suddenly realised the tree trunks I'd left in the field from the hedging were disappearing under the rapidly growing grass, so as we'd dried out a bit, I rounded them up in the van. The willows had already grown 5cm roots where they lay! I had to leave a couple of smaller logs because a mummy vole and 3 babies had a nest under them. :)

DW has a nasty bug. Probably only a bad cold, but with her breathing issues which the docs are still investigating for the umpteenth time, it makes everything v. hard going for her, even sleeping. :( We were doing so well with the exercise regime too. Managed a walk around the boundary anyway; always something new to see....lizards this week.:j

Done my supermarket dash, sothe holiday folks can have the roads for the long weekend. Thdey're welcome to have a few potholes on me! :p Have a good rest, or if that's too difficult, hope you get lots done. Looks almost scorchio....for some!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • alfie_1
    alfie_1 Posts: 5,837 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 4 May 2018 at 10:47PM
    I will have a look at the make of the mower tomorrow, dave.
    I know it has a non rust ali body and it has a thingy where you connect your hose, start it up and it washes underneath :j has a lever for either mulch or bagging.

now you know for sure that I know sweet FA about anything technical ;)

good that your getting gate sales :)

CTC is just setting up her poly tunnel [BIG] and is hoping for self and gate sales. she did win a pallet full of bags of compost too :beer:

p.s. re your DW.. could the dust from poultry be aggravating her breathing ? I ask because I had a problem [cant pronounce let alone spell it ... ] psiticosis ?? when I was but a young'un and working with parrots etc [yeh I know !] I was getting like asthma and breathless in closed rooms. they spotted a small shadow on one lung and I had to leave the job, medicines and got over it but they were baffled fo a while. I actually looked up symptoms in the blacks veterinary dictionary an suggested this might be IT... it was ! just a thought
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    alfie_1 wrote: »

p.s. re your DW.. could the dust from poultry be aggravating her breathing ? I ask because I had a problem [cant pronounce let alone spell it ... ] psiticosis ?? when I was but a young'un and working with parrots etc [yeh I know !] I was getting like asthma and breathless in closed rooms. they spotted a small shadow on one lung and I had to leave the job, medicines and got over it but they were baffled fo a while. I actually looked up symptoms in the blacks veterinary dictionary an suggested this might be IT... it was ! just a thought
    No, it seems to have started from when she had pneumonia, long before we had chickens, but it's become worse over the years.

Slightly worrying is that my FiL has a lung condition, which can be linked back to when he was working with asbestos, (and probablty bringing the dust home) but DW says she's had chest X rays.

Speaking of asbestos, it wasn't long ago I noticed DW's ironing board wasn't the one we used to have. MiL had handed her old one on.....(You can tell where this is going!:rotfl:) Yes, a genuine 1970s model, complete with asbestos heat pad for the user to clout dozens of times in an ironing session!

Needless to say, it's been changed to cement board, but how did I miss it for so long? :o
  • choille
    Dave - Hope DW is managing to take in easy. It's hard if you want to get on but must pull in the horns some times.
    I use Olbas Oil sometimes to clear the lungs - it's not a drug, quite natural and it really helps but you have to keep at it.

Just finished clearing out the sideboard for it going away. How on earth did I manage to squeeze so much(in the main junk) stuff into it? Course I've been ages trying to find a home for all of the clutter.

Not a very exciting weekend so far!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure