Our new Sky Haggling guide - please share your feedback

Comments

• Forgot to ask, is it better to leave it until an offer comes through or go on livechat in a week or so and try to open the haggle doors again?
  • Jimbeef wrote: »
    Now then i have a dilemma:

Joined Sky last year on a mega deal (think the guy was on something) - Sky Q 2TB box for £30, free install, 1 x multiroom, Sports HD, Cinema, standard broadband and phone line = £55 a month for 12 months.

Now my 12 months is up it's going to be about £120 a month - no chance. Rang retentions to cancel TV, they said the best they could do "considering my opening deal" was knocking off sports and cinema (we don't use them, didn't even ask for them at the start), £5 off broadband and £8 off box sets. With the discounts it means my monthly is £72.39 (box sets £30.40, multiroom £12, line £18.99, bband £5, HD £6).

Do I take it or cancel and hold off in case something better comes along during my notice period? I said I would discuss with my other half and she was ok to put a note on my account to keep the offer open for a bit.

Also, the woman said that price included £6 for HD, I don't remember seeing that on my bill when everything else is on there, paid for or not. Is it a thing?

All help and advice is much appreciated!!

And so the result: Rang the TV cancellations number specified on the haggling tips page on here, got put through to retentions who offered a better deal than before but still not great. Stood firm and said no, cancelled, then went on to livechat to "double check" a couple of my rights during the notice period, got the 50% off everything (apart from line rental) offer. Means I get to keep my whole package and it is only costing me a few quid more a month than my introductory contract. Decided to go with that, since the current trend is that it's generally harder to get more out of them. Personally happy with the result.
  • MDL74
    MDL74 Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I"m on the full package and was paying about £42 pm with 50% off and discounted multiroom.

I've now cancelled and quite fancy upgrading to Sky Q.

Firstly, i was offered same TV package and free installation and extra box but paying £72 monthly which is more than i want to pay. What's the best i can hope for having already cancelled?

Secondly i have a loftbox so i can send the signal from the main sky box to other TVs.... does the Sky Q box allow an aerial out signal?
  • Beware those who are calling, speaking to "Retentions" - once a new deal is agreed (in my case a deal fractionally cheaper over 18 months than the comparable "New Customer" offer for our package) they then inform you that there is now a "£10 account admin fee" for making an alteration to the account. I made clear that I was extremely unhappy with this - not least that it was not mentioned until after the new package deal had been settled on (although not put through the system).

I can't see anyone else has mentioned this on here in recent times - has anybody else encountered this or do I need to get back onto them about it I wonder. (I agreed it in the end reluctantly as I didn;t have a choice if I wanted the 18 month deal.)
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 September 2017 at 11:58AM
    Beware those who are calling, speaking to "Retentions" - once a new deal is agreed (in my case a deal fractionally cheaper over 18 months than the comparable "New Customer" offer for our package) they then inform you that there is now a "£10 account admin fee" for making an alteration to the account. I made clear that I was extremely unhappy with this - not least that it was not mentioned until after the new package deal had been settled on (although not put through the system).

I can't see anyone else has mentioned this on here in recent times - has anybody else encountered this or do I need to get back onto them about it I wonder. (I agreed it in the end reluctantly as I didn;t have a choice if I wanted the 18 month deal.)

Yes, it's known about. You should have really just refused to pay it there and then , they're not going to let you walk for a tenner. Some people have had success after the fact by complaining via email to the CEO's office(?).

I was having a live chat this week where they offered me unlimited fibre for £25 a month (same as the present new customer deal) but with a £10 'activation' fee. I wasn't interested anyway but you have to be wary of them slipping it in at the last moment.

Edit: the email address is Jeremy[dot]darroch@bskyb.com
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I notice that the activation fee for new customer ADSL has gone up to the fibre price of £19.99.

I am deciding whether to stay with PlusNet(who suddenly did me a 1Mbps increase on 4) or return to Sky, but suspect the fee consists of £9.99 for the modem and £10 admin, which I've never paid before. This will be a haggle point as I have a Sky modem and on top of this extra £10 would need to pay a £30 cease fee to leave PlusNet ,but again, the latter may not offer a good retention deal.
  • teddysmum wrote: »
    I notice that the activation fee for new customer ADSL has gone up to the fibre price of £19.99.

I am deciding whether to stay with PlusNet(who suddenly did me a 1Mbps increase on 4) or return to Sky, but suspect the fee consists of £9.99 for the modem and £10 admin, which I've never paid before. This will be a haggle point as I have a Sky modem and on top of this extra £10 would need to pay a £30 cease fee to leave PlusNet ,but again, the latter may not offer a good retention deal.
    If they drop the monthly fee as an offer you can bet your bottom dollar that the 'activation fee' will rise.

It's £19.95 'set-up' for ADSL & Unlimited Fibre but £59.95 for Limited Fibre & Unlimited Fibre Max.

It'll change again next week no doubt.
  • Yes, it's known about. You should have really just refused to pay it there and then , they're not going to let you walk for a tenner. Some people have had success after the fact by complaining via email to the CEO's office(?).

I was having a live chat this week where they offered me unlimited fibre for £25 a month (same as the present new customer deal) but with a £10 'activation' fee. I wasn't interested anyway but you have to be wary of them slipping it in at the last moment.

Edit: the email address is Jeremy[dot]darroch@bskyb.com

Thanks for that - in the conversation I had refusing to pay it wasn't an option as he was very clear that he wasn't going to activate the deal we'd just agreed without it - the deal was what I wanted - and I didn't want to risk having to renegotiate all over again having already spent nearly an HOUR on the phone to them! (Plus, there are always ways around these things afterwards if you're prepared to make a bit of noise!)

Might try the email approach though - thanks for that!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Just over a week into my cancellation period now. Live chat initially offered me 30% off my current Boxsets package but with no discount on the multiroom subscription. I received an email offering 40% off, yet still no discount on the multiroom.

Sky have just called to offer 50% off but again no offer on the multiroom. Told them politely that I wouldn't be accepting until they could match my current 50% off everything deal.

Here's hoping that they do before 6th October, which is when it is scheduled to go off :)
  • scottyboydfc,if you've got Sky Q you will be the 1st I've heard of getting a monthly discount on the Q mini box however if it's just sky HD then that's doable.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback