Adjustable valves on both sides of radiator?

So why would a plumber put adjustable valves on both ends of the radiator? Does it just mean that we regulate that rad by turning both up / down?

Comments

• EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Both valves are always adjustable, just one doesn't usually have a knob on it. The one without the knob is used to balance the system & the one with the knob is used to turn the rad off & on, or is replaced with a thermostatic valve to do it for you.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Ok well both of these have little handles on to turn them etc but they are not thermostatic. This is why I ask because with both having twisters on we are effectively rebalancing the system if we forget which one is not meant to be moved, and turn them both?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,110
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    In that case ask the plumber which one he used to balance the system* & only use the other one. You could ask him for a plain cap for the other end, he'll have one in his van.

*If he bothered to balance the system that is.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,695
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Are you sure they both adjust ? Usually one of the twisters doesn't actually twist anything ;)
  • Alex1983
    Alex1983 Posts: 958 Forumite
    How many radiators have you got, unless it's big or has circulation issues it won't make much difference.
  • zoothornrollo_2
    zoothornrollo_2 Posts: 315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:28AM
    Thanks all, will take a closer look. It is a new medium-sized vertical rad, 5.5 foot tall and a foot wide, double panel. To be fair these were the valves that we bought along with the rad, so he just fitted what we gave him, but I think I expected one end to be fixed / unturnable.
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    If you want one end to be lockshield just drill out the bit inside that slots onto the rad valve spindle, or just use a black marker to identify the one to be used as the turn of/on so everyone is on the same page with it.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • zoothornrollo_2
    zoothornrollo_2 Posts: 315
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:28AM
    Wookey wrote: »
    If you want one end to be lockshield just drill out the bit inside that slots onto the rad valve spindle, or just use a black marker to identify the one to be used as the turn of/on so everyone is on the same page with it.

Ok wookey but I'd've thought with all the messing around the system would now be unbalanced in some way? The rads in the loft en suite and our bathroom also also have two adjustable valves.

As long as all the rads are getting nice and hot in the winter it doesn't really matter I suppose, but we haven't got round to testing that yet...
  • Wookey
    Wookey Posts: 812 Forumite
    Ok wookey but I'd've thought with all the messing around the system would now be unbalanced in some way? The rads in the loft en suite and our bathroom also also have two adjustable valves.

As long as all the rads are getting nice and hot in the winter it doesn't really matter I suppose, but we haven't got round to testing that yet...

Balancing is easy to do should it need it, turn all rads on and run your heat, once it's up to temp check all rads are warm. If the furthest ones away from the boiler are slower to heat up whilst the ones that are closest are hot then using the lockshield valve on the closest rads turn them down until they are off and then crack them back open about 1/2 a turn. As you progress from warmest to coldest each lockshield should be slighly more open than the last, this has the effect of forcing the pump to put hot water round the furthest rad quicker and once you finetune it a bit more the "balance" should start to show and all rads should heat at the same rate.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
  • Thanks Wookey - as you obviously know your stuff can I ask another plumbing related question?

We just extended into the loft earlier this year and the plumber ran all the plumbing up there from the existing plumbing in the kitchen via plastic connectors. He ran them through into our bedroom wall and up into the loft. The pipes are tidily boxed in in the bedroom, but we have noticed a lot of plonking / dripping noises coming from them on the odd occasion when we have run the heating.

If you turn both rads off up there they eventually stop - but this is obviously not going to be ideal in the next few months if the noises recur every time we want the heating on in the loft...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure