IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Brittania PCN - station carpark

Weirdo109
Weirdo109 Posts: 40 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 September 2017 at 5:25PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
recently got a PCN through the post from Brittania Parking.

The event took place in a train station carpark.
entered the car park and never left the vehicle whilst waiting to pick somebody up from the station. didn't believe payment was required as stayed in the vehicle.
The event happened on the 25th of August dated the 1st September

got a letter in the post with his name and address on the 5th
followed a day later by a second letter of Final notice
Both letters have dates for the alleged contravention, but the dates are different.

Sadly in haste to not pay went on their website to appeal.
I've been helped by the great people on this forum myself in the past for a retail PCN but this one is a different company and situation.

Could I get some help as to whether in rights to appeal.
If does will it affect it that started the appeal on thier site.
Do I start a POPLA appeal.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 9 September 2017 at 4:33PM
    Before starting any you are politely asked to read the newbies FAQ thread near the top of the forum.

Had you done so you would know the importance of not revealing who was driving

You need to edit your post to remove details of who was driving and those links.

The ppcs monitor this forum and can use your posts against you

The photos contain all sorts of info that Will identify (ref number/location/times etc

The faq advises on appeals. And search for bylaws when dealing with a charge at a station
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,031 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    He didn't believe payment was required as he stayed in the vehicle.

What ever he does he should forget this dreamt up excuse, parked is parked!
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Inside, or outside the vehicle, if its stopped for a period of time it is parked.
    the only difference is that in the past, and in some patrolled car parks you could wait in the car, until you were spotted, then it was either lave the car park, or buy a ticket.
    How long was the stay in the car park? 10 minutes or less, or more than this?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Did the appeal actually name the driver? If so, they've binned the easiest way to quash it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • I believe it was.
    I assume there is no way to dispute it.
    Does that mean after they respond to the appeal that the original fine amount counts.
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Fine? What fine?
  • Half_way
    Half_way Posts: 7,051 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It is not a fine, you dispute this by not paying and following the advie in the newbies thread.

The length of stay is important as there should be a 10 minute grace period if you are ticketed for a stay of less than this then they are in breach of their own trade associations code of practice such as that issued by the British Parking Association limited and as such it cold be argued that they have accessed and processed your data with out just cause, putting both the parking company and the landowner who contracted the paring company in hot water.
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,572 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 September 2017 at 9:23PM
    Weirdo109 wrote: »
    I believe it was.
    I assume there is no way to dispute it.
    Does that mean after they respond to the appeal that the original fine amount counts.

LOL you still don't seem to get it. You assume wrong. No-one pays Britannia! Even if the keeper loses, so what?! Ignore them.

You need to read post #3 about how to put together the long template words to formulate a POPLA appeal. There is much more to say than just ''no keeper liability''. That would have been a winning point for POPLA, but if they definitely said ''I parked'' or if they chose ''driver'' in any drop-down menu if appealing online then that one has gone out the window, but the rest still stand.

See NEWBIES thread post #3 about POPLA, with templates.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Apologies for not getting it.
    I'm not best at understanding something that has multiple connotations and is not to me straight forward.
  • Contacted Brittania immediately after getting PCN.
    Via their website started an appeal.
    I know this was the wrong way to go about it initially.

However no response from them.
    Have now got a letter from a Debt Recovery Plus Ltd requesting payment of £160.

Please advise the best course of action.
    Quite worried about this becoming a bigger problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure