Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ash_park wrote: »
    Hi there, really hoping someone can help me. I filed a compensation claim (using MSE's templates & Guidelines) for a flight from New York JFK to Glasgow, with a change at London. The NY flight was delayed, causing me to miss the connecting BA flight and arrive home in Glasgow some 5 hours later than planned. I had kept a log of this flight for the complaint. However BA got back to me today with flight times, claiming my delay was only 171 minutes (instead of the 180 minutes needed to qualify for compensation) This is both a ridiculous lie, and also a strangely convenient amount of time for themselves. I can't find an actual flight record of times to back any argument up, so fear i may miss out on the compensation i'm rightfully owed by undercutting me by 9 minutes. really gutted, please help.

Does the flight not show up on flightstats? If so what time does it show?
    Were the JFK-LHR and LHR-GLA flights all on one booking or separate tickets?
    If one booking you may have a claim depending on the reason for the delay and the compensation would be based on your arrival time in GLA v's your originally scheduled time in GLA
    If separate tickets and the JFK flight was less than 3 hours late then there is no claim
  • Help, im not sure if im sending this right. After lots of chasing ba have said that they wont pay compensation as flight was cancelled for weather related reasons so no money will be paid. How can they say no money is due when easy jet were flight out of the same airport at the same times to the same destination......do i keep chasing or take legal action?
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Up to you. Do you think writing them another letter will make them change their mind?

When and where were you delayed? Were there adverse weather conditions at the destination or origin airport? Just because another airline was able to fly doesn't mean you have a case (fog, for example, reduces the capacity of an airport, so some flights - but not all - get cancelled). Flightstats.co.uk should be able to tell you if there was a general problem with other flights on this day.
  • ahv
    ahv Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi

I was recently delayed on a BA return flight from Abu Dhabi (UAE) to London - the flight took off 3 hours late (due to a technical issue - something to do with antifreeze not working properly, which had to be fixed by an engineer) and landed 185 minutes late.

Could you please let me know if I am entitled to any compensation (and if so how much)?

Many thanks in advance.
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Do your own research, post should be on BA thread but answers here >http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4896454
  • ahv wrote: »
    Hi

I was recently delayed on a BA return flight from Abu Dhabi (UAE) to London - the flight took off 3 hours late (due to a technical issue - something to do with antifreeze not working properly, which had to be fixed by an engineer) and landed 185 minutes late.

Could you please let me know if I am entitled to any compensation (and if so how much)?

Many thanks in advance.

If it was delayed due to technical fault then you need to read huzar vs jet2.com case. It is a running case on this matter. and if you want to know how much compensation you are entitled there are couple of sites that let you know the compensation amount, these are tripmole.com, flightstats.co.uk.
  • Vauban wrote: »
    It is one claim, against BA. They re-routed you on a flight that arrived over four hours later than your original flight was scheduled (have I understood that right?). If so BA owe you €600 per fee paying passenger.

BA have eventually responded to me today to advise that they will pay €250 each for the delayed Glasgow Gatwick flight but I will have to chase US airways if I wish to take it further. I then went on to argue that the flight was rerouted by BA and as my contract is with them they should be responsible for the whole delay as US Airways are a code share airline.

They went on to say as they are not one of their One :shocked:world Alliance Partners this is not possible due to data protection. Don't know where they get this from as I am not contracting with US Airways, BA have subbed it

After further investigation tonight I see that on BA;s own website it states that they are One world Alliance partners.

What a palava and rest assured BA will be getting some further earache from me tomorrow.:eek:
  • 06frankie wrote: »
    BA have eventually responded to me today to advise that they will pay €250 each for the delayed Glasgow Gatwick flight but I will have to chase US airways if I wish to take it further. I then went on to argue that the flight was rerouted by BA and as my contract is with them they should be responsible for the whole delay as US Airways are a code share airline.

They went on to say as they are not one of their One :shocked:world Alliance Partners this is not possible due to data protection. Don't know where they get this from as I am not contracting with US Airways, BA have subbed it

After further investigation tonight I see that on BA;s own website it states that they are One world Alliance partners.

What a palava and rest assured BA will be getting some further earache from me tomorrow.:eek:

Your claim is against the actual airline operating the flight, so if this was US Airways your claim is against them.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Your claim is against the actual airline operating the flight, so if this was US Airways your claim is against them.

Not if you are rerouted as a consequence of a delay or cancellation it's not. Then the claim is with the original airline.
  • Hi,

I was delayed in March 2011 for 18 hours at Innsbruck Airport. BA deny responsibility as "the aircraft was damaged" (I disagree, but that's not the point of this thread).

After exhausting all my contact with BA, I went to the CAA, but their form kicks me out when I enter the departure airport as "Innsbruck".

So, I went to the Austrian equivalent of the CAA, and they say that their time limit for claims is 3 years.

Next and final step is the small claims court, but......is there anything else I can do?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback