Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How very annoying and inconvenient. I hope you get paid soon HH . I guess the joys of being self employed , at the mercy of your debtors.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Cumbria. It is one of the big downsides to being self employed and helped us get into debt over the years :(. I'm glad we've got no available credit or it would be tempting to use it to pay the bills and then it would never get paid back as we'd find something else we needed to spend money on. It's a very slippery slope.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,273 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I could not cope with the stress of that.
    Have you cancelled the DD's so you are not charged?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    :( Hope someone pays you HHOD

the only positive is that at least someone owes you some money I guess.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 15 May 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    I hope people who owe you money pay up very soon, HH. I know what a nightmare that situation can be as my Dad ran his own business and had to pay his employees on time even when he was kept waiting unfair lengths of time to be paid by people/companies they'd done work for. Getting paid by some of the 'big' companies was the worst. He always said that individual people that they did work for always paid promptly whereas the bigger the company that owed him money the longer he had to wait for it. These were usually the biggest, higher paying jobs so a lot of his money was tied up for months sometimes. This was his recurring moan throughout my childhood:(

I always envy you, HH, for the amount of Prolific and YouGov surveys you get. I don't think I'm in a very interesting demographic group, being a pensioner, retired, with no children and living in a rural area:(. I was amazed this morning when, being awake ridiculously early, I logged in to my Prolific account and saw a survey that I was eligible for:j. It was quite long but really interesting and enjoyable. The best bit was that it paid £5:T and I received the notification that it had been accepted and pay was credited in about 10 minutes after submitting it:eek:. I can't believe that the researcher was up and about at that unearthly hour, or that he had time to evaluate the submission:rotfl:.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,273 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy Tuesday :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Happy Tuesday :)

Likewise !

I had a lovely Sunday with younger daughter & grandson, eating brunch & then fooling around in the centre of Didcot where they have a 'press your hand here' train mural with sound effects, perfect for 3yr olds and Grannies !! Then in the pm we visited Oxfordshire Animal Sanctuary (where daughter got her cat from), to look at the cats and have afternoon tea for a donation. We saw 4 x 8-wk old kittens, and if there is anything cuter in the world I wouldn't believe it ! Awww!
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope the money comes through today HH. Well done on all the surveys!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hope you get paid soon.

CBC - With YouGov - have you checked your settings? They ask you how frequently you want surveys. You might have said something less frequent. Mine are set for as often as possible. You might find that doing some of the activities and free surveys on the site gives you more.

Although it's a slow payer, I like You Gov as it never screens you out, the surveys are never ridiculously long, and you often see the results in the press.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I got all hopeful for a minute then, but no, I'm definitely set for as often as possible! :rotfl:
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills