Brother problems

Options

Comments

• ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    Options
    melanzana wrote: »
    Rarely works out really but I understand your sentiments.

I am, however with Polonious from Hamlet... (Wasn't Shakespeare such a prescient man, and it is the same now as it ever was.

Polonius:
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be,
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.

Just because it's famous doesn't make it an absolute truth.

Polonius was being an over-cautious old bore.

Nothing wrong with mortgages, for example. Also, I lend lots of money to the bank all the time and regularly use my 0% credit card. My risk is tiny.

OP, you need to make sure you're telling the truth when claiming otherwise YOU are open to being accused of benefit fraud.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,586 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry, I don't know your circumstances from other threads as some people seem to.

On the face of things I can't see why you would even think of giving your bank details to your brother when you don't know why he wants them. I really don't think he could set you up as a guarantor with just your a/c number and sort code. My DD has just done that for DGD's student house and they needed bank statements and things. Having those details would allow transfer in but not out. Same thing with a direct debit unless he could impersonate you in some way.

I'd be asking him ASAP why he wanted to know and tell him that anything set up in your name without your permission is fraud.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 September 2017 at 10:50PM
    Options
    I have just spoken with my brother and the reason he needs my sort code and account number was because of my history (work history, income etc), which I heard nothing of until today.

Must have been the reason why he asked me for three years worth of work history and much I earned.
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If your brother is buying a car then he does not need your bank details or work history etc. There is something wrong with all of this. I suspect he has signed you up as a guarantor.

I take it, it is not a main dealer that he is buying from ?
  • System
    Options
    tberry6686 wrote: »
    If your brother is buying a car then he does not need your bank details or work history etc. There is something wrong with all of this. I suspect he has signed you up as a guarantor.

I take it, it is not a main dealer that he is buying from ?

Bristol Street Motors.

Where do I go from here, because he's quite obviously lying isn't he? I'll try get more sense out of my mum tomorrow once she's finished work. If she says the same or similar, report for fraud?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I have just spoken with my brother and the reason he needs my sort code and account number was because of my history (work history, income etc), which I heard nothing of until today.

Must have been the reason why he asked me for three years worth of work history and much I earned.

He's not buying the car in your name is he?

Sounds decidly dodgy
  • System
    Options
    He's not buying the car in your name is he?

Sounds decidly dodgy

Sounds like the time to report for fraud, because when approaching him he said "Oh, because mum needs it as well" ?!?!?! What Fu**king for!!
  • tberry6686
    tberry6686 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I would call the dealer and find out exactly why they wanted your info. Depending on what they say (unlikely to be of much help) I would speak to my bank as this does sound like fraud.

Do you have an account with noddle (CRA) might be worth checking if any credit checks have been done recently against your name that you are not aware of. If so it should tell you which company made those checks and then you can contact them to try and get more info.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 September 2017 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Nothing to do with a credit check, good luck with that one.

Do you have online banking? Get checking.
    Thanks everyone. I have learned the hard way and am going to cancel and request a new card.

Cancelling the card is not going to a make a difference, it's the same still sort code and account number.
  • System
    Options
    tberry6686 wrote: »
    I would call the dealer and find out exactly why they wanted your info. Depending on what they say (unlikely to be of much help) I would speak to my bank as this does sound like fraud.

Do you have an account with noddle (CRA) might be worth checking if any credit checks have been done recently against your name that you are not aware of. If so it should tell you which company made those checks and then you can contact them to try and get more info.

I have checked with two of the relevant Credit Reference Agencies (MSE Credit Club and Noddle) and no searches have been made on behalf of Bristol Street Motors today.

I have no choice to ring them in the morning to clear the situation up as I don't feel am in a very good place at the moment, being stuck in the middle of a family 'rift' if that's the case, nor is it doing much good for my mental wellbeing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure