Barclaycard £50 Credit for bad press

Options

Comments

• Silent_Father
    Options
    Just tried to cancel Barclaycard Visa and MasterCard accounts. In both cases got put onto retention department (different operators). Explained that I have used neither for years, there's nothing else they can offer to tempt me, I don't really need the credit and that I really didn't need them and though it might affect my credit rating if I wanted other cards in the future.
    So the first offered me £50 and the second £20 - can't refuse £70 for 5 minutes on the phone (at their expense) so will use the money and cancel next month!
  • mrchagle
    Options
    Just tried to cancel Barclaycard Visa and MasterCard accounts. In both cases got put onto retention department (different operators). Explained that I have used neither for years, there's nothing else they can offer to tempt me, I don't really need the credit and that I really didn't need them and though it might affect my credit rating if I wanted other cards in the future.
    So the first offered me £50 and the second £20 - can't refuse £70 for 5 minutes on the phone (at their expense) so will use the money and cancel next month!

Have you ever paid any interest on the accounts? I tried this one, but wouldn't offer me anything.. I guess because I always paid my cards by DD / settled each month. You?
    If I've help in anyway, please remember to thank me :-)
  • thebritishbloke
    Options
    mrchagle wrote: »
    Have you ever paid any interest on the accounts? I tried this one, but wouldn't offer me anything.. I guess because I always paid my cards by DD / settled each month. You?

I have a BarclayCard Cashback account (pays 1%/0.5% cashback on AmEx/VISA), and when I threatened to leave they offered me £20. Wouldn't up it, wouldn't give me any increased cashback rates etc. If you settle in full all the time, they want to keep you, but won't pay through the nose to keep you.
    Credit 'Score' - Don't buy the credit 'score' that Experian, Equifax and Noddle want to sell you. It's an arbitrary number that means nothing when it comes to applying for credit.

ALWAYS HAVE A DIRECT DEBIT SET UP FOR THE MINIMUM PAYMENT ON YOUR CREDIT CARDS, REGARDLESS OF WHETHER YOU PLAN TO LOGIN AND PAY EACH MONTH.
  • Rah
    Rah Posts: 41 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had a Barclaycard for 13 years, just called up to close it, they initially offered me 12 months 0% on purchases, I said I still wanted to close it and then they offered to give me £50 on my account! Took the money and will probably close it next month!
    :j
  • mrsammyp
    mrsammyp Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Rah wrote: »
    I've had a Barclaycard for 13 years, just called up to close it, they initially offered me 12 months 0% on purchases, I said I still wanted to close it and then they offered to give me £50 on my account! Took the money and will probably close it next month!

I pay my card off in full. I've got a Barclaycard Cashback Amex/Visa duo and been a customer for 6 years. They just offered me £50 in order to stay (£40 initially).

Worth the 5 minute phone call.
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Wanted to add that I got this recently after I said i wanted to close
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2015 at 9:25AM
    Options
    I made a complaint with Barclaycard regarding regarding how my initials appeared on my card. They added an extra one. I expected them just to reissue the card but was not that simple. However after 4 weeks had a letter from BC apologising for the bad standard of customer service. They apparently listened to the calls I had made trying to get the matter resolved.

What I did not expect and certainly never asked for was a goodwill payment
    of £160.

When complaining I always try to be nice and leave mrs angry on this board.
  • brooza
    brooza Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Damn, they offered me £20 and I took it. I should have held out for more!

I reduced my credit limit too. Hopefully that was a good idea
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I too rang up to cancel my old Barclaycard and was initially offered some deals on rates and then when I insisted that I still wanted to close my account I was offered £20 to keep it open, which I agreed to. Should I have held out for more?? Still, not bad for a quick, free phone call!
  • dimbles
    dimbles Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    This is the second time I've had a bribe off Barclaycard to keep my account open on the second balance transfer I've done with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure