eBay Scam - Item delivered to Argos for Click and Collect

My nephew has sold an old ipad on eBay and the buyer chose to have the item delivered to their local Argos store via the eBay/Argos Click & Collect service.

The item was delivered a couple of days ago and is now showing as collected by the buyer.

The buyer has opened a dispute stating that the packaging was open/damaged and the charger is missing. They are saying they want to return it for a refund.

Something doesn't seem quite right to me... - Does this sound like a scam ? - Wouldn't Argos have made a note that the item was damaged when they received it if that was the case ?

Anyone have any ideas what we can do?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Well what's the value of a charger? Negligible surely.
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The charger is about a £1 from the pound shop - That is my concern. If it was genuine, why would the buyer want to return the whole thing for the sake of a £1 cable ?

I'm concerned that is just an excuse and we may end up with a different tablet back than the one we sent - and how can we prove this to eBay if it turns out to be the case.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    darren72 wrote: »
    The charger is about a £1 from the pound shop - That is my concern. If it was genuine, why would the buyer want to return the whole thing for the sake of a £1 cable ?

I'm concerned that is just an excuse and we may end up with a different tablet back than the one we sent - and how can we prove this to eBay if it turns out to be the case.

offer to have a charger cable delivered to them
  • hollydays
    darren72 wrote: »

But surely this occurred to you even before you listed it?
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hollydays wrote: »
    But surely this occurred to you even before you listed it?

I am helping my nephew with this - He hadn't even considered this to be a possibility. He should have asked my advice at the start, but he didn't.
  • hollydays
    If it was me I would try to play a bit clever with the buyer -ask do they have a note of the time they collected from Argos .Say it may not matter as you can get that from Argos epos systems but that it might take a bit longer. Id say I'm going to request they look at the cctv .I'd say I'm really concerned but I have a relative who works for Argos and I'm trying to get hold of them.
    I'd also suggest in the meantime they contact Argos to see if a charger hAS been found loose.
    This may scare them and give them a way to back out gracefully
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    edited 5 August 2018 at 1:30PM
    If it was me I would try to play a bit clever with the buyer -ask do they have a note of the time they collected from Argos .Say it may not matter as you can get that from Argos epos systems but that it might take a bit longer. Id say I'm going to request they look at the cctv .I'd say I'm really concerned but I have a relative who works for Argos and I'm trying to get hold of them.
    I'd also suggest in the meantime they contact Argos to see if a charger hAS been found loose.
    This may scare them and give them a way to back out gracefully

There isn't any point in lying - unless the OP does have a relative in Argos.

However, OP, you should challenge the buyer.

Ask them what state the parcel was in on collection - if damaged, did they notify Argos? Explain to the buyer that you will get in touch with Argos and ascertain the status of the parcel when it was delivered. By all means explain you are reporting the theft to Argos and eBay - you have enough grounds to dig and push further, but don't embellish it with a lie.
  • hollydays
    There isn't any point in lying - unless the OP does have a relative in Argos.

However, OP, you should challenge the buyer.

As them what state the parcel was in on collection - if damaged, did they notify Argos? Explain to the buyer that you will get in touch with Argos and ascertain the status of the parcel when it was delivered. By all means explain you are reporting the theft to Argos and eBay - you have enough grounds to dig and push further, but don't embellish it with a lie.

If you are saying Argos definitely would not over a damaged parcel( I wasn't sure about that) I agree
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    If you are saying Argos definitely would not over a damaged parcel( I wasn't sure about that) I agree

Argos definitely would not what?
  • hollydays
    Argos would definitely not hand over a damaged parcel?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure