I hope I can do this

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,090 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I use pearl barley for stews and soups. I think you can make risotto with it, or use it instead of rice in some recipes.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • ftbwannabe
    ftbwannabe Posts: 241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 August 2018 at 8:28PM
    Thanks for the advice, this is such a lovely, helpful forum!
    I've picked a pearl barley recipe to try, finsihed the shopping order for next week, & managed to get my overall grocery spending £100 less than last month
    Of course, there are still 2 weeks left & maybe I've misjudged how much food I need to buy! I've kept a tenner aside for any extra bits.
    Got some cash in from selling my old, broken phones, but that's pretty much the last £ I'm expecting from sales.
    Went to pub last night & only spent £6 by sticking to only one gorgeous lovely tasty beer & having lime & soda for the rest of the evening
    I've got £40 to cover my social life for the next 2 weeks & that should be bang on enough for what I've got planned. Going to London on Mon, but I've already paid for my train & ticket for the show, so shouldn't need to spend much more.
    This is very boring I'm sure, but it helps me to keep going :-)
    Starting debt (Aug 2018) £17,900
    Debt free September 2021
  • ftbwannabe
    pidge04 wrote: »
    Good morning! I read your post earlier this week about the Independent Financial Advisor's advice. Have you had a chance to speak to your partner yet? Have you reached any decisions?
    Best wishes.
    Hello pidge! How are you?
    We're going to have a big chin-wag about this soon, but haven't yet. I think he'll go along with what I suggest, but I really want it to be a joint decision & a plan we are both working towards, not just me scrimping & nagging & having to make all the choices about this. I am waiting for the right moment to get the best out of him... ;-)
    This morning I went for a walk round some affordable areas I'd like to live in, trying to get my head around the fact we might move from where we are now. The prospect is nerve-wracking!
    Debt free September 2021
  • ftbwannabe wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, this is such a lovely, helpful forum!
    I've picked this pearl barley recipe to try, finsihed the shopping order for next week, & managed to get my overall grocery spending £100 less than last month https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/pea-feta-pearl-barley-stew
    Of course, there are still 2 weeks left & maybe I've misjudged how much food I need to buy! I've kept a tenner aside for any extra bits.
    Got some cash in from selling my old, broken phones, but that's pretty much the last £ I'm expecting from sales.
    Went to pub last night & only spent £6 by sticking to only one gorgeous lovely tasty beer & having lime & soda for the rest of the evening
    I've got £40 to cover my social life for the next 2 weeks & that should be bang on enough for what I've got planned. Going to London on Mon, but I've already paid for my train & ticket for the show, so shouldn't need to spend much more.
    This is very boring I'm sure, but it helps me to keep going :-)

Are you off to the theatre , what are you seeing ?
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    Hi there FTBW

Just read through your diary and it sounds like you have had your lightbulb moment.

It is easy to lose enthusiasm when you have done the major changes but had you thought of recording your efforts towards your 100 challenge? Big sign on the fridge works!

A SOA is a work in progress for the first year at least. I know you have other commitments such as as cat, allotment etc. Perhaps you can start towards a pot for them too?

Other thoughts
      Does your partner live with you? I was thinking about the split for rent, council tax and utilities.
    Share with him your successes so he knows why things might be slightly different. Let him and your friends praise you after a good month
    • Food - as others have said, your budget is more than adequate however it is a good idea to gradually reduce the budget further
    • Household - useful to have a distinct category for this. I've noticed you are ecologically minded so do you use ingredients such as vinegar,baking soda etc instead of branded cleaners?
    • Cat category - do you have insurance etc? Accidentally buy extra treats or toys?
    • Union subs - are they taken directly from your salary? Also check if they have offers on insurances, travels,financial advice etc
    • Contents insurance - vital
    • Contact lenses and glasses - most people have glasses as well as lenses so a fund to buy new ones is a good idea
    • Holidays - always a must! Include things like passport renewals, insurance etc
    • Treats, Celebrations built in. Perhaps to celebrate a saving milestone. If you plan for it then you won't feel guilty but you will feel rewarded for your hard work
    • Partner - do you spend quite a bit on them for their birthday or Christmas?

All these thoughts are merely suggestions and things for you to consider.

A debt free life is a long haul so I would make yourself a list of things to do, make etc when your focus has got up and gone!

I hope you don't feel as though I've overlooked your successes this month as I am so impressed with what you have achieved in such a short time

Have a great week,take care
    Pauline

Always like an add-on....... Do you use Topcashback or Quidco? I think you can even use them to Asda
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • ftbwannabe
    Are you off to the theatre , what are you seeing ?
    Hi, I went up to see an art show in the Big Smoke. It was wonderful! And I managed to stay on budget. The gift shop was easy to avoid as they are always priced to high heaven, and I had budgeted for the inevitable chocolate cake treat. I nearly caved & got a train-beer but didn't - I'm going out on the last day of the month before pay day & I'm trying to keep enough money to cover that night. 10 days til payday...
    Debt free September 2021
  • ftbwannabe
    117pauline wrote: »
    Hi there FTBW

Just read through your diary and it sounds like you have had your lightbulb moment.

It is easy to lose enthusiasm when you have done the major changes but had you thought of recording your efforts towards your 100 challenge? Big sign on the fridge works! - Good point! I have a grid coloured in bright colours on one of my excel budget's tabs :-)

A SOA is a work in progress for the first year at least. I know you have other commitments such as as cat, allotment etc. Perhaps you can start towards a pot for them too? Indeed. I had to stop myself spending £12 on a cat toy at the weekend (I'm still thinking about it). I've started a £10 a month allotment budget in YNAB. I think a lot of my spare cash was going on the allotment pre LBM, but the winter will be a quieter + cheaper time.

Other thoughts
      Does your partner live with you? I was thinking about the split for rent, council tax and utilities. -
    Yes, all the bills I don't mention (like tv, insurance etc) are paid by him while I pay council tax & water rates.
    Share with him your successes so he knows why things might be slightly different. Let him and your friends praise you after a good month
    • Food - as others have said, your budget is more than adequate however it is a good idea to gradually reduce the budget further Managed to reduce it by 120 this month! Though food will always be my weakness
    • Household - useful to have a distinct category for this. I've noticed you are ecologically minded so do you use ingredients such as vinegar,baking soda etc instead of branded cleaners? I do. That's nice of you to notice. Being slovenly also helps cut costs ;-)
    • Cat category - do you have insurance etc? Accidentally buy extra treats or toys?
    • Union subs - are they taken directly from your salary? Also check if they have offers on insurances, travels,financial advice etc They are taken direct, & you're spot on - I get a free mortgage consultation via them which I'm 100% going to use
    • Contact lenses and glasses - most people have glasses as well as lenses so a fund to buy new ones is a good idea That is an excellent spot! I budget for lenses but not new specs - and I'd be lost without them!

A debt free life is a long haul so I would make yourself a list of things to do, make etc when your focus has got up and gone! Thanks, yes, and this forum really helps, too.

I hope you don't feel as though I've overlooked your successes this month as I am so impressed with what you have achieved in such a short time Not at all, I'm really touched that you've taken the time to read & think about my situation. Very grateful for your practical help.

Have a great week,take care
    Pauline YOU TOO:A

Thanks for taking the time to read! I answered some of your points in case anyone else is wondering.
    Wow, I'm so glad not to be trying to change things alone, I've had so many useful pieces of advice since my LBM & I feel in a much stronger position thanks to the experience & suggestions from others..
    Debt free September 2021
  • ftbwannabe wrote: »
    Hi, I went up to see an art show in the Big Smoke. It was wonderful! And I managed to stay on budget. The gift shop was easy to avoid as they are always priced to high heaven, and I had budgeted for the inevitable chocolate cake treat. I nearly caved & got a train-beer but didn't - I'm going out on the last day of the month before pay day & I'm trying to keep enough money to cover that night. 10 days til payday...

Also 10 days for me - It always seems like such a long time
    There always seems to be more month then money
  • ftbwannabe
    edited 30 August 2018 at 8:29PM
    Money update:
    -NSD today (& still not smoked since that start of the month, wahoo)
    -I have about £50 credit about to clear from Music Magpie, ebay & Ziffit. I'm already tempted to spend it on an extra night out, or some plants, but I hope I'll be resolute & send it straight to Deposit Fund. The interest rate for the account I'm saving for the deposit in is reduced in any month I make a withdrawal, so if I can get it in that account fast enough that should save me from myself ;-)
    -Found a cheaper TV deal
    -I still love YNAB, now I've finally started to 'get' it.
    -I can't believe I still have money in my account this close to the end of the month. Plenty, in fact - v little to spend but a very reasonable amount squirrelled away for future expenses. If I can buy myself a pint on the day before payday, I will consider this month of financial sobriety a resounding success (probably first time ever!)
    Debt free September 2021
  • 117pauline
    117pauline Posts: 743 Forumite
    Hi there

Thank you for taking my suggestions in the spirit of help not criticism. As an onlooker, your readers can spot things that might be an area where cutbacks can be made. That said, only you can choose to make long term changes to the way you live.

Also of course it is so much easier to look clearly at someone else's situation so I have to admit that it is procrastination on my part!

I can't recall if you mentioned holidays? A subject close to my heart as I am presently in Spain and have yet to decide whether to return.

Does your partner have debt too? You don't need to answer that on a public forum but tackling it together is the way to go.

I think your SOA leaves a little room for a frivolous pot, just for your treats and **ck it days.

After this really successful month, I suggest you look for small changes you can make rather than the big stuff.

As you are into gardening, I would guess you probably like cooking too. Is there anything better than sitting with a recipe book or plant catalogue and a mug of tea making plans! Especially if it's rainy outside. Most of the catalogues can be bought through Topcashback too. Although if you have a car boot sale or market nearby, you will probably get a better deal. I quite liked trying to grow tomatoes, celery, herbs etc from the bits we normally throw out.

So you are nearly at the long weekend, I just hope you have good things planned.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business